Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the charger not being in a recessed bay, I could have parked sideways backing up to the ChaDEMO side and not blocked anyone/anything - now I know. What I found interesting was the angular tug of the cable and adapter disrupted the fully inserted Tesla plug end enough that it felt the device was not fully inserted. I assume the skew meant the connection on the DC pins was incomplete enough to trigger the failure.

I too wasn’t sure how to route the cable. This was my first use of a Petro-Canada charger (Brockville, Ontario). I arrived there with a cold battery and 62% state of charge so I wasn’t surprised that my starting charge rate was 32 KW. The CHAdeMO adapter I believe will only take 50 KW max. I didn’t have any problems with either the adapter or the charging station.

View attachment 493324
Yes, thanks. I see I shouldn't have backed in so far - the way your vehicle is places, the adapter pulls almost straight down, not at an angle. That seems to make a difference.

I noticed on the Petro-Canada charging pedestal screen posted by MD-2000 it had an advertisement for A&W. I wonder if Petro-Canada is going to offset some of the cost of charging by selling ads on the screen. It makes sense that if they could sell enough ads, the cost of charging should be lower for the consumer.

Reactions: bolero and Vawlkus
I noticed on the Petro-Canada charging pedestal screen posted by MD-2000 it had an advertisement for A&W. I wonder if Petro-Canada is going to offset some of the cost of charging by selling ads on the screen. It makes sense that if they could sell enough ads, the cost of charging should be lower for the consumer.

A bunch of the Petro-Canada locations across the prairies have A&Ws attached or inside, so that makes a really good advertising partner. Especially for the sites that have both a charger and an A&W on premises.

Could be that part of the deal to secure the charging stations there was that it included the ads. In which case, it's not that they'd be offsetting the cost of charging, but rather helping to make it possible in the first place.

Coming Soon to Newfoundland. A new pilot project is underway to install Flo fast charger along the T-Can in Newfoundland. To follow...
0D264796-519B-4AB4-B0FC-3F5A099175DE.jpeg

Just found meself a new Electric Circuit fast charger at a Couche Tard on Cote-des-Neiges, right next to the metro station. I pass by here literally all the time so it would be super useful to me, if I ever needed to fast charge, anyway. Woohoo!
A5338910-804D-4B4F-AFD8-839985281FE0.jpeg

I don’t since when these have been installed, but there are 3 functional Flo DCFCs in the Yukon, two of which are in Whitehorse and one is in Carcross.View attachment 498615View attachment 498617

Looks like they were in the works since the Spring.

Demonstrating EV Range and Charging Efficiency in a Very Cold Climate | Natural Resources Canada

There were 12 ev's registered in Yukon as of the Spring

Yukon set to have more charging stations for electric vehicles - Yukon News

2016 final report about EV use in Yukon

https://yukonenergy.ca/media/site_documents/Yukon_EV_Investigation_Report.pdf

Nov 25th announcement about the Flo fast chargers

Three new electric vehicle fast-charging stations available in Yukon | Government of Yukon

Article from a year ago about owning and driving EV's in Yukon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/electric-vehicle-yukon-winter-1.4975075

Just want to add in that CHAdeMO at Electric Circuit DCFCs (in Ottawa, Kemptville, etc) as well as PetroCanada and Flo has been rock solid all around, even in the cold gets 45-47kw with a ramp down to 35kw near the end of the pack.

Brockville Petro Canada shows $ amounts per charge/session on the display while it's "free" currently.

The last two weekend's charges equates to about $0.33/minute of DCFC (50kW) CHADeMo (Model 3).

I checked the amount of time vs kW charged at other Petro Canada stations that do not show the $/session and it matches the $0.33/minute average.

Pretty sure it'll be different if I had an EV capable of the 350kW CCS or 100kW CHADeMo?

Brockville Petro Canada shows $ amounts per charge/session on the display while it's "free" currently.

The last two weekend's charges equates to about $0.33/minute of DCFC (50kW) CHADeMo (Model 3).

I checked the amount of time vs kW charged at other Petro Canada stations that do not show the $/session and it matches the $0.33/minute average.

Pretty sure it'll be different if I had an EV capable of the 350kW CCS or 100kW CHADeMo?
How many fast chargers are at Brockville?