Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, the Gigafactory is the only way they can produce cheaper batteries to keep the 35K$US price for Model 3...and meet the volume demands too!!! :)
...so I'd be willing to make that a pretty safe bet!

TOTALLY..also Faraday Future is in and now the Mercedes is coming out with four EV models including a SUV .. healthy competition and hopefully competitive pricing for CANADIANS:)

Agree...A lot of it does not make sense at all :mad:

I actually read earlier today that explains why it is priced as it is..

Model X design studio open for Canada • /r/teslamotors

if you scroll down, you will see this.

Import Duty: Import Duty is only applicable to non-NAFTA vehicles and is calculated at 6.1%.

Goods & Services Tax (GST): Whenever any vehicle (new or used) is imported into Canada it is subject to a GST tax of 5%.

Air Conditioning Tax: If your vehicle has air conditioning, a $100 Air Conditioning tax is also payable. --- lol @ Canada for taxing AC.

Excess Weight Tax: You will have to pay additional excise taxes if your vehicle weighs more than 2,007 kilograms or 4,425 pounds. --- Can't find how this is calculated so I won't include it, but both the S/X are over that mass.

(83,000 USD)(1.27 CAD/USD) = 105,410 CAD.

(105,410 + 100 AC fee)(1.0 + 0.061 + 0.05) = 117,116 CAD. If the non-NAFTA import duty and the Goods & Services Tax stack (which makes sense otherwise manufacturing outside of NAFTA would be a tiny slap on the wrist) then Tesla is completely in line with pricing the X and the S is under priced.

Edit: I have heard Tesla's do not count as within NAFTA because the 18650 cells are a high enough percentage of value so as to exclude the vehicle. I have never bothered to read the law and verify this.

I actually read earlier today that explains why it is priced as it is..

Model X design studio open for Canada • /r/teslamotors

if you scroll down, you will see this.

Import Duty: Import Duty is only applicable to non-NAFTA vehicles and is calculated at 6.1%.

Goods & Services Tax (GST): Whenever any vehicle (new or used) is imported into Canada it is subject to a GST tax of 5%.

Air Conditioning Tax: If your vehicle has air conditioning, a $100 Air Conditioning tax is also payable. --- lol @ Canada for taxing AC.

Excess Weight Tax: You will have to pay additional excise taxes if your vehicle weighs more than 2,007 kilograms or 4,425 pounds. --- Can't find how this is calculated so I won't include it, but both the S/X are over that mass.

(83,000 USD)(1.27 CAD/USD) = 105,410 CAD.

(105,410 + 100 AC fee)(1.0 + 0.061 + 0.05) = 117,116 CAD. If the non-NAFTA import duty and the Goods & Services Tax stack (which makes sense otherwise manufacturing outside of NAFTA would be a tiny slap on the wrist) then Tesla is completely in line with pricing the X and the S is under priced.

Edit: I have heard Tesla's do not count as within NAFTA because the 18650 cells are a high enough percentage of value so as to exclude the vehicle. I have never bothered to read the law and verify this.

I priced a model X in the us at $111,950 the same X Canadian is $157,000 , I thought it should only be about $137 to $140,000 does tesla to $ adjustments during the year ?

The problem up here is Tesla is using a 35% markup for the exchange rate for the base vehicles and about 32.5% for options. On top of this you then add 6.1% duty as due to The % of foreign parts they don't meet NAFTA requirements. On top of this add 1-2% for Tesla's admin cost for the export. A base S 90D in the US is $89,500 and up here a whooping $121,600 + $1300 PDI + $100 Air tax + 13% HST = $138,990.

The problem up here is Tesla is using a 35% markup for the exchange rate for the base vehicles and about 32.5% for options. On top of this you then add 6.1% duty as due to The % of foreign parts they don't meet NAFTA requirements. On top of this add 1-2% for Tesla's admin cost for the export. A base S 90D in the US is $89,500 and up here a whooping $121,600 + $1300 PDI + $100 Air tax + 13% HST = $138,990.

Agree..after spending so much i dont want my vehicle to see the SC except for regular services..unfortunately the case is otherwise.

This shouldn't be factored in to your calculation, the consumer pays HST when they purchase, Tesla when they pay that 5% on import get that back as part if the Input Tax Credit's since they also collect HST, otherwise the consumer would be getting double taxed.

• Informative
Reactions: SMSMD