Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several people wrote Revenue Canada last year about the AC tax. After 3-4 months they received acknowledgements that their inquiry had been received. Then after another six months they received an explanation that the the tax applies to all cars, along with a photocopie of the original law's text which unfortunately does support Revenue Canada's position. It would be easier if the applicable text were available online instead of just one interpretation.

Just received the following email from Tesla regarding my order. Impressed!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 99
I tried last year to get Tesla and the government to fix this, but with no success. Tesla's reply was:

We have been advised by Canada Revenue that we must continue to collect the AC tax for our customers.

Canada Revenue stated that the AC tax was designed to apply to all air conditioners that were designed to be used in vehicles as part of the powertrain. The exemption regarding electric / propane-powered AC units was meant to apply only to those AC units that were secondary systems for vehicles like Winnebagos. The Agency is in the process of creating an official letter for Tesla that will clarify that stance. They would not give a specific timeline, but anticipated that we would receive it within a month. I can forward to you once received.​

But that interpretation makes no sense to me, so I sent the following to my local MPs (before and after the election):
Of course, I got no reply...

thanks for the response, just seems silly, escp since i think in the entire new car market place i don't think you would need more than one hand to count all the models where you could get actually get a base model without A/C.

Well, this caught my eye.

Splash screen from Canadian site:

View attachment 88789

Splash screen from US site:

View attachment 88790

With gas prices higher in Canada and electricity costs comparable, it sure seems like the Canadian cars are costing a lot more!!

Thank you for the tips @mknox, Definitely want to pull the trigger on my MS build. Could I use your referral link? It's saying $1200 on the .ca website. I think they updated it recently.

Cheers!

Dakkor,
I would assume that prices are stable considering the current exchange rate. In fact, if you factor the exchange and duty, it is a tiny bit cheaper to buy your car in Canada now than in the US. The price had not dropped since third week of May 2016. I would go ahead and BUY BUY BUY!

Bonne chance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received the following email from Tesla regarding my order. Impressed!
nice to see Canadian buyers getting a price reduction! I think there were 3 price increases in the past year for Canada due to exchange rate

btw I just noticed in the Cdn design studio that the power liftgate is now listed as standard equipment, no longer part of the $4k premium interior and lighting package (power liftgate still is extra in US it seems). That plus the no-charge alcantara headliner and price drop would have been nice when I bought last year... seems a good time to buy now

I made the jump after I saw the price adjustment in May! It still hurt since I bought my original S85 back when the dollar was par (oh, how I miss those days as a consumer....)! Regardless, the new car adds a number of features I didn't have, so I'm happily broke.

Based on recent dollar movements, I'd be surprised if there are further drops for a while. With this in mind, along with the new facelift and the referral credit, I made the jump and got my car a couple weeks ago.

I've also read on other parts of this forum that the Resale Value Guarantee was gone as of July 1st (or similar). On the Canadian site, at least (snapshot taken July 6, 2016, 9:44 pm PST) under the financing option, I still see the RVG. It might still be available for Canadians, but if it's being cancelled in the US site, we might lose it too. I financed through Scotiabank via Tesla and got my RVG confirmed.

screenshot_816.jpg

In celebration of Canada Day, we took a pic with my new red 90D!

IMG_5972.jpg

If another percentage point off helps, there's just over a week to use referral codes.
Here's mine: Referral | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
I made the jump after I saw the price adjustment in May! It still hurt since I bought my original S85 back when the dollar was par (oh, how I miss those days as a consumer....)! Regardless, the new car adds a number of features I didn't have, so I'm happily broke.

Based on recent dollar movements, I'd be surprised if there are further drops for a while. With this in mind, along with the new facelift and the referral credit, I made the jump and got my car a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 184282

If another percentage point off helps, there's just over a week to use referral codes.
Maple Leaf, Roots, red everywhere, you really nailed July 1st! Nice car, awesome color, it is not common out there.
Hope that shoulder feels better!

Reactions: SteveW25561

I've also read on other parts of this forum that the Resale Value Guarantee was gone as of July 1st (or similar). On the Canadian site, at least (snapshot taken July 6, 2016, 9:44 pm PST) under the financing option, I still see the RVG. It might still be available for Canadians, but if it's being cancelled in the US site, we might lose it too. I financed through Scotiabank via Tesla and got my RVG confirmed.

View attachment 184284

View attachment 184282

Great choice! That's the color I drove on my first Tesla Test Drive, 70D.