Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Price Increase Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow my exact configured as yet undelivered 90D just went up by $14k overnight. Personally a benefit to me but
on the broader macro scale of ev innovation and proliferation in Canada...I'm not enthused.

Wow my exact configured as yet undelivered 90D just went up by $14k overnight. Personally a benefit to me but
on the broader macro scale of ev innovation and proliferation in Canada...I'm not enthused.

Agreed. I bought a new car a year ago (Lincoln) and their prices haven't changed at all since then even though the car is made in the USA. I dislike the fact that Tesla adjusts CAD prices so much while the other makers don't seem to at all. I'm planning on a Model 3 but given Tesla's penchant for adjusted exchange rate prices, the base cost will push that car into the upper $45K which still puts it out of the reach of most Canadians.

I was budgeting for $50K a year ago but now it looks like I have to push it to $60K if this trend continues as they don't predict the dollar strengthening for at least a couple more years. If we're lucky we won't have to pay the 6% duty on Model 3 that Tesla charges on Model S for having an elevated foreign content with the Gigafactory cells being produced in the US but we'll see.

Was not to far with my previous table estimate. Here the new version of Model-X estimates based on Model-S price this morning:
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 10.17.12 AM.png

Reserved my production X since 2014, only if I could get invited to configure sooner.:mad: It is hardly fair that Sig holder gets invited before the price hike, and we did not.

Reserved my production X since 2014, only if I could get invited to configure sooner.:mad: It is hardly fair that Sig holder gets invited before the price hike, and we did not.
While I feel for you... given that the Sig holders paid a rather sizable deposit, at least to me, it does seem fair that they got the little perk of avoiding a price hike. In the end, I don't think this is really about Tesla giving two shakes about who gets saved from a price hike, it is just Tesla responding to market forces, and any such response has consequences (negative/positive depending on a given perspective at the time).

While I feel for you... given that the Sig holders paid a rather sizable deposit, at least to me, it does seem fair that they got the little perk of avoiding a price hike. In the end, I don't think this is really about Tesla giving two shakes about who gets saved from a price hike, it is just Tesla responding to market forces, and any such response has consequences (negative/positive depending on a given perspective at the time).

US Production X reservation from beginning of 2016 even got invited to configure already. I really don't see a reason why we could not get invited sooner.

Worse yet, it was on the RIV very briefly, and then transport Canada removed it with a note that it was done at tesla's request.

This is tesla playing the same game all the other auto makers do. They are intentionality using this as a trade barrier to try to drive new car sales. It's shameful for a company that tries to pretend it's different.

Does anyone know when Tesla makes currency adjustments? With the latest Model S update today, they still have the same $CAD pricing as before for the options, so they didn't take into account any recent improvements in the Canadian dollar. Actually, anyone know what Canadian dollar rate Tesla is using for the current pricing? I think our dollar is a little better than it was. With the loss of the EV incentive in BC, every few percentage points helps a little...

Does anyone know when Tesla makes currency adjustments? With the latest Model S update today, they still have the same $CAD pricing as before for the options, so they didn't take into account any recent improvements in the Canadian dollar. Actually, anyone know what Canadian dollar rate Tesla is using for the current pricing? I think our dollar is a little better than it was. With the loss of the EV incentive in BC, every few percentage points helps a little...
I'm pretty sure we will not see a price drop. They will just stop the bleeding.

I wonder if we will even get a price drop once the gigafactory comes online and the 6% import tax is dropped. My feeling is that Tesla will just capture the added profit.

Actually, Tesla has been quite transparent with their international pricing. I think it was a blog post but they basically said the foreign prices in each market are calculated by using the USD price plus the exchange rate (something like the mid quarter rate at the time) plus any required import duties. Thus if the gigafactory reduces the percentage of non US made parts below the threshold for the NAFTA agreement we should see the price break if they continue in this practice.

I was hoping there will be a currency adjustment soon since our dollar has made gains since the last increase (and this could make up 5%+).

Actually, Tesla has been quite transparent with their international pricing. I think it was a blog post but they basically said the foreign prices in each market are calculated by using the USD price plus the exchange rate (something like the mid quarter rate at the time) plus any required import duties. Thus if the gigafactory reduces the percentage of non US made parts below the threshold for the NAFTA agreement we should see the price break if they continue in this practice.

I was hoping there will be a currency adjustment soon since our dollar has made gains since the last increase (and this could make up 5%+).
One thing that gives me pause is that i don't think the import fees are separate line item in an invoice and can be easily hidden, of course I hope i'm wrong about my worries.