Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2014-09-04 10.19.37.jpg

Panoramic shot of the cars at today's event.

Because there are only two trip meters and I use A to get distances between various pairs of locations, I use B for lifetime Wh/km figures, but I reset it once a month to watch what happens each month. Three months make a season, whose Wh/km I can calculate quite easily. I can also calculate lifetime average similarly. So you don't need to keep one meter untouched to get that. Just keep track of all the figures from that one meter.

As for charging at 20A or 80A, I've read conflicting opinions on which is better for the battery. I'm not an engineer or scientist, so can't make any claim. It does seem, however, that charging at low amperage is inefficient, which is a different question.

Because there are only two trip meters and I use A to get distances between various pairs of locations, I use B for lifetime Wh/km figures, but I reset it once a month to watch what happens each month. Three months make a season, whose Wh/km I can calculate quite easily. I can also calculate lifetime average similarly. So you don't need to keep one meter untouched to get that. Just keep track of all the figures from that one meter.

As for charging at 20A or 80A, I've read conflicting opinions on which is better for the battery. I'm not an engineer or scientist, so can't make any claim. It does seem, however, that charging at low amperage is inefficient, which is a different question.

Yes it is more inefficient and you will use more electricity ($)

Well I'm not so sure about that one. Charging with that much current on a regular basis has to have some impact on the chemical makeup of the battery. I've read articles that even say that you are better off dialling down the amperage when you charge at home if you are not pressed for time and that charging at 20A is better in the long run than at 50 for example. Perhaps the differences will only accumulate over long periods of time but why risk it if you don't have to? I read a really good article about all of this recently in the Charged Electric Vehicles Magazine.

Tom Saxton's battery surveys don't support that hypothesis. The degradation of Roadster batteries only correlated with usage - nothing else.

The Model S battery is so big, that charging at 20A or 50A literally makes no difference to it. 50A is about 12kW. You have an 85 kWh battery. So charging at that rate is about a 0.13C charge rate. No lithium ion battery will be bothered at that low charge rate.

Supercharging at 120kW is charging at about 1.5C. Most lithium ion battery chemistries can handle even that with ease, Tesla's particular chemistry's limit for no degradation seems to be near that limit. But I would not at all be surprised if the no degradation limit was more like 2C. I would bet that the reason Tesla has so far limited Supercharging to 120kW has more to do with heat transfer issues, and physical connector issues more than battery chemistry limits.

Bottom line, there is zero evidence and zero reason to think that repeated charging at any level will harm the battery.

The Model S battery is so big, that charging at 20A or 50A literally makes no difference to it. 50A is about 12kW. You have an 85 kWh battery. So charging at that rate is about a 0.13C charge rate. No lithium ion battery will be bothered at that low charge rate.

Supercharging at 120kW is charging at about 1.5C. Most lithium ion battery chemistries can handle even that with ease, Tesla's particular chemistry's limit for no degradation seems to be near that limit. But I would not at all be surprised if the no degradation limit was more like 2C. I would bet that the reason Tesla has so far limited Supercharging to 120kW has more to do with heat transfer issues, and physical connector issues more than battery chemistry limits.

Bottom line, there is zero evidence and zero reason to think that repeated charging at any level will harm the battery.

If you are an expert on this, then that's great although I think you are going a bit far saying ZERO evidence and ZERO reason. That kind of categorical answer scares me. I've read plenty of things written by very smart people that suggest the contrary so while I don't necessarily understand every detail I will personally err on the side of caution. Especially since most of the time it makes no difference to me if my car is full charged by midnight or 6am. Why even take a chance? Perhaps I'm too cautious but I really dont see much down side in this case. I also remember Tesla themselves suggesting at some point that superchargers were really not ideal for every day use but rather intended for long distance road trips. I guess it's up to each owner to pick and choose what 'expert' they are going to listen to.

Supercharging at 120kW is charging at about 1.5C. Most lithium ion battery chemistries can handle even that with ease, Tesla's particular chemistry's limit for no degradation seems to be near that limit. But I would not at all be surprised if the no degradation limit was more like 2C.

I hope it is 2C+ for our friends in 60s that are already seeing 1.75. (104-105kW at some sites).

If you are an expert on this, then that's great although I think you are going a bit far saying ZERO evidence and ZERO reason. to.

I was careful how I phrased it. I didn't say there wouldn't be degradation, I did say there was no evidence of it, and no reason to think there would be.

What Elon has consistently said, when asked about this, is that battery harm occurs when it is kept fully charged at a high heat level. Which is precisely why the car will warn you when you do a full range charge. Tesla does not recommend people do full range charges on a daily basis, as that probably will degrade the battery.

With confirmation by Tesla yesterday that groundbreaking is imminent, I thought it would make sense for the sole Quebec supercharger to have its own thread:

Supercharger - Drummondville, QC

If anyone drives by the site, please post some pictures!

I'd really like to see separate pages for each Canadian Supercharger. This "Canadian Superchargers" thread is already very long, and it's tough to find information specific to one site of interest. There should be a separate page for Hope and for Kingston, for example.

Is this a randomly organized thing, i.e. it only happens if someone decides to add a thread?

Reactions: MarcoRP
I think having separate threads for Western Canada and Eastern Canada makes more sense at this point. I'm interested in progress on all of the ones through BC and probably many people down east are interested in all the ones going on down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.