Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian X Refresh Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No new updates for my order. Looks like the luxury tax is being proposed to start Sept 1, 2022 and any cars delivered after that date will be subject to the tax unless it was ordered prior to April 2021. Hopefully Tesla starts to focus on Canada so all current orders get here before the tax starts.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
No new updates for my order. Looks like the luxury tax is being proposed to start Sept 1, 2022 and any cars delivered after that date will be subject to the tax unless it was ordered prior to April 2021. Hopefully Tesla starts to focus on Canada so all current orders get here before the tax starts.
I'm in that issue over the 6 seater changeover - the "build date" got switched to late October from a January build to get a 2021 delivery that worked out sooo well. I'm going to have to check with Tesla about backdating it because at this point I refuse to pay the luxury tax on this. I've got an August EDD making for a 19 month order-to-delivery time frame (if they actually do deliver).

I'm in that issue over the 6 seater changeover - the "build date" got switched to late October from a January build to get a 2021 delivery that worked out sooo well. I'm going to have to check with Tesla about backdating it because at this point I refuse to pay the luxury tax on this. I've got an August EDD making for a 19 month order-to-delivery time frame (if they actually do deliver).
I'm hoping the final legislation will move the order date to April 2022 or September 2022 and not keep it at April 21 as outlined in what the govt released in tbe Friday update. I suspect there will be some pushback as it could be perceived as a retroactive tax. But overall, there can't be that many Canadian X orders where if Tesla focused the whole X production on Canada, I suspect they would clear out the backlog within a couple weeks maybe?

I'm hoping the final legislation will move the order date to April 2022 or September 2022 and not keep it at April 21 as outlined in what the govt released in tbe Friday update. I suspect there will be some pushback as it could be perceived as a retroactive tax. But overall, there can't be that many Canadian X orders where if Tesla focused the whole X production on Canada, I suspect they would clear out the backlog within a couple weeks maybe?
BUT (and that's a big "but") that's thinking that we'll get 100% of production at any time. It's simply not going to happen. We'll be lucky to get a fraction of a fraction. I'm actually wondering whether other countries might get deliveries before us as I've heard some EDDs for Europe, which coincides with the fact that the next quarter starts in April, then July (the first month usually focuses on shipping overseas to keep it in the quarter).

I won't be surprised by anything this government puts forth. They're going to be in a mighty big deficit, and the easiest targets are clearly in sight, especially as long as other parties can twist an arm or two.

I got pushed back to August too! you guy’s are all talking about luxury tax, I’m in BC and over here a +150K car has 25% tax! Is it going to be even higher!!?? Sorry if my question is stupid, I googled and still didn’t understand completely. and do you think I should Actually get my hopes up for August?

I got pushed back to August too! you guy’s are all talking about luxury tax, I’m in BC and over here a +150K car has 25% tax! Is it going to be even higher!!?? Sorry if my question is stupid, I googled and still didn’t understand completely. and do you think I should Actually get my hopes up for August?
So, yeah, this luxury tax I believe is at the federal level, so it'll be applicable. Of course, we've not seen the final version, and whether they've made exemptions if there's already what basically is a luxury tax being applied at the provincial level. Just watch and see though.

Will they honor our reservation prices prior to the increase that happened today?
They're supposed to, however, we've got at least another 5 months since the first deliveries aren't until August and anything can happen. That said, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did. Besides, odds are high they would have already applied an adjustment if they were going to do it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Tesla honours your order price unless you try to make any modifications to your order (ie want to change colour). So no worries about price increase for existing reservation holders.
That's not 100% true. Orders made before the refresh announcement were price adjusted upwards, although that is considered an unusual case for Tesla. The price difference (from the last 24 hours or so) now looks to be about $20K or more for the Model X.

Last edited:
That's not 100% true. Orders made before the refresh announcement were price adjusted upwards, although that is considered an unusual case for Tesla. The price difference now looks to be about $20K or more for the Model X.
Yes that was a unique situation where basically the pre refresh model variants that were on order were effectively cancelled and replaced with LR and Plaid. But Tesla always honours pricing when the same model version exists.

I also think the August date is a placeholder and I wouldn't be surprised if we see deliveries in Q2 in Canada.

Yes that was a unique situation where basically the pre refresh model variants that were on order were effectively cancelled and replaced with LR and Plaid. But Tesla always honours pricing when the same model version exists.

I also think the August date is a placeholder and I wouldn't be surprised if we see deliveries in Q2 in Canada.
It's not like Tesla has missed any EDDs in the past year+ 🙄 (I'm personally at 7 I think). I'm hoping there isn't any further delays as it's unclear what will happen with the luxury tax legislation. Really, there shouldn't be any further delays because even Europe looks like they might start getting deliveries potentially in July.

Waiting here too ,
B.C. CAN.
ordered Feb 28th 2021, MXLR Blue 6 Seat Cream, 20" w/FSD Aug 2022.

Re: LUX tax, in my tesla details the MX "base" = $97,600
I wonder if thats what the Feds will go on, vs add ons'
in my Car details it looks like this. oooof

Model X
$97,600.00
Model X Long Range
$26,000.00
Deep Blue Metallic
$2,000.00
Full Self-Driving Capability
$10,600.00
Six Seats
$8,500.00
Cream Premium Interior with Walnut Décor
$2,600.00
Delivery Final Inspection Fee
$1,280.00
Car Price
$148,580.00

Additional Charges​

Fed Air Conditioner Tax
$100.00
Tire Fee
$20.00
PPSA Fee
$114.24
Sales Tax
$30,855.25

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$179,669.49​

• Informative
MX "base" = $97,600
I wonder if thats what the Feds will go on, vs add ons

I thought that, but I believe the draft regulations (section 20.2) indicate that the Luxury Tax will be charged based on the final sale price, including PST/GST/HST. Another tax on a tax.

I thought that, but I believe the draft regulations (section 20.2) indicate that the Luxury Tax will be charged based on the final sale price, including PST/GST/HST. Another tax on a tax.

Hoping there will still be some changes before it makes it into the budget. The boat and small aircraft industries have been lobbying hard as they see this as really damaging them.

Ug. Makes me want to buy an ICE and just invest.
Probably the better choice.
The novelty has worn off.
I feel like im having to force the fun at this point.
I got myself a 2022 S from Tesla inventory & will decide if I will keep the X depending when its ready and what interest rates are and the luxury tax at the time. I'm really enjoying the S so I recommend picking one up - it is a fun car.