TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Canberra based Tesla friendly workshops for rego transfer inspection

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DrHoon, Sep 25, 2019.

1. DrHoon

DrHoon Member

Any recommendations for Canberra-based mechanics/workshops who can do an interstate registration transfer inspection?

2. meowsers

meowsers Member

Is this for a new or used car?

• Disagree x 1
  3. DrHoon

DrHoon Member

Used car.

4. Electrofied

Electrofied Member

My understanding is all interstate (unless purchased from a dealer) need to go over the pits. Takes a fair bit of time as they do the usual inspection but you also go into an enclosed bay where they do identification checks on the car to ensure its all legit.

• Disagree x 1
  5. DrHoon

DrHoon Member

Yes, this is a dealer purchased car, still has to be inspected. There is a good description of the process and a list of workshops that can inspect on ACT Gov website, but I was hoping for one that already had experience with Teslas. Even things like jack/hoist mounting points etc.

I've booked it in for an inspection at the main Hume site, it means I can do stamp duty and rego at same time.

6. Electrofied

Electrofied Member

Good idea, at least there they don't have to hoist it. Not too sure many places have too much experience with them. I know of good places for paint protection film and wraps but sadly not many for other stuff, im sure this will change soon.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

The jack points are pretty straightforward, I wouldn’t worry about a non-Tesla place messing it up.
    I’ve jacked my car myself and swapped all wheels, and have had it on lifts at a few places with no problem.

8. Electrofied

Electrofied Member

Yeh the jack points are the last thing id worry about. Would take a very special place to get those wrong :)

9. DrHoon

DrHoon Member

I took it to the main inspection site in Hume. They identified an issue. So I've taken the car to MIT Automotive in Fyshwick so the issue can be addressed under stat warranty claim. Apparently they've done registration inspections for some Teslas previously.

10. sulrich70

sulrich70 New Member

What was the problem?

11. DrHoon

DrHoon Member

Bushing failure front suspension, lower left control arm fouling on bolt at full lock. Bushing are one of the well documented problems.

I've yet to hear back from them since last week and I've chased them up.