Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to be too early. I was concerned about possible bugs in the earliest-built cars. I HATED waiting as long as I had to, but if I'd known then what I know now I'd have done exactly what I did. :)

Since I want the AWD, I figure that gives them plenty of time to get the kinks out of the initial batch, and the second motor shouldn't be too big of an issue since they already know how to do that from the X/S. So that's why I would change what I did. :)

I'm wondering the same thing. I still consider myself a member of Elon's cult and a total Tesla fan. But I currently own a Honda HR-V that I'm very happy with. My ideal car with be my HR-V with A Tesla power train under it, but that's not available. And although it looks like a great car, I'm not sure I'm going to actually like it. But decision is still pending. Waiting for a trailer hitch option which is a deal breaker for me if it's not there.

I took the day off 2 years ago to wait in line (in a mall) in Northern VA and would do it again knowing what I do now. My buddy at work who got me interested in Tesla always laughed when I told him that I hoped to get my Model 3 delivered on the last day of the final quarter of the full tax credit. At that time I was in a townhouse with no place to charge and was driving a 15 month old Wrangler that I loved and would probably have had to sell to get this Model 3.

Well, I totaled my Jeep, now drive a 13 year old F150 and have a house with a big garage (no charger yet). The Model 3 will be a great 3rd car, although I'm not happy with the extra personal property tax and insurance I'll carry with it. We'll see how long I keep the truck, or maybe I can convince my wife that she can get rid of her car and drive the Tesla on the few days she actually goes into the office.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm happy to hear Canadian invites going out as that may actually push my delivery (still not invited yet) to the end of 2018. I just logged in and it says Late 2018 for both Standard Battery and Dual Motor so we'll see what the next few months bring.

If I can't get the credit I'll be disappointed but can then due a true comparison of a new Model 3 vs used Model S.

If you’re a total Tesla fan you wouldn’t still be driving a Honda or any other ICE.

This is where myth meets reality. Some Honda ICE drivers are 'greener' than some EV owners are. If the Honda owner has a bigger solar array, drives only 100 miles a month max, they are doing more for the environment than most EV owners.

Technology has cars polluting far less than in 1965 per mile. In 1965, the average light vehicle was ~20.0 gm per mile of HC. Today it's capped at 0.075g, but also includes weight of pollutants not measured under the HC testing. And there was not vapor recovery in 1965.

We are going generate about 34,000 kWh this year, which is 25,000 kWh more than we use for 3 cars. So even operating a 4th gasoline car (4 drivers) we have much smaller footprint than somebody with 4 Teslas and 4 drivers and a house sized PV array. Our EVs average about 250 wh/mi when driven normally.

I'm wondering the same thing. I still consider myself a member of Elon's cult and a total Tesla fan. But I currently own a Honda HR-V that I'm very happy with. My ideal car with be my HR-V with A Tesla power train under it, but that's not available. And although it looks like a great car, I'm not sure I'm going to actually like it. But decision is still pending. Waiting for a trailer hitch option which is a deal breaker for me if it's not there.

My ideal car would have been my old 1989 Honda Civic Wagon with Tesla's drive train. It was the perfect size for me with plenty of cargo space. And the station wagon body style make the most interior space for the car's footprint.

If you’re a total Tesla fan you wouldn’t still be driving a Honda or any other ICE.

Totally not true! Not everybody has the disposable income for a $50K car. A person can be a fan of Tesla and BEVs and be eagerly awaiting the day they can afford one. A person could even be a fan of Tesla and EVs and still prefer to take public transit or ride a bicycle. Those of us who can afford this car are truly fortunate. Most of the world cannot, but they can still be fans of the technology.

If you know this, if having gotten that reservation was pointless, then why haven't canceled your reservation? Do it [ & get out of the way of me others in the line :cool: ].

Walk what you talk or save us the moaning noise.

P.S. If I'd known about the event prior to it happening (I didn't) and with all the hindsight of what we actually know, I probably would have stood in line at the "local" store. :p

It could be significant in Q3 or Q4. I can let it ride. :D Things could change. Today, the way to acquire a Model 3 is outside the standard reservation system. Tomorrow? Who knows?

As far as standing in line, no, I would not have a Tesla. In 2016 I was still driving kids to school, so I probably would have been far down the list of line waiters.

But even I did head down after I dropped off kids, IIRC, there was a large satellite here that was behind schedule on that day. No idea if Tesla or SpaceX parts were here that day.
Most commonly there are cardiac device projects which are also 'hot'.

Some days I can take off whenever I want, but that's not always the case. And I could have been in line for hours, then get a call and have to head out. I normally buy cars at night or on the weekends. Not Thursday morning.

Buying a BEV or PHEV is "crap?" Reforestation is "crap?" Reducing water dependence is "crap?" Recycling is "crap?" Reducing your carbon footprint is "crap?" Tell me how these are an oxymoron?

Become a consumer activist. Demand that your government and vote for those who support alternative energy through regulation, investment, and financial support.

I applaud your efforts to be environmentally conscious. I sincerely appreciate it. I am not your enemy, in fact my Aussie friends say I am a 'FAIR DINKUM' kind of guy. I am here to support and encourage you as your amigo. Together we can make a difference, one small step at a time. Don't be discouraged and don't give up. We shall overcome, the times they are a changin'.
I consider driving a Toyota giving up on life. So no rather keep my old global warmer. Apart from Tesla, EVs are crap, hybrids are pointless and rubbish.

Trust me I fully support sustainable energy and transport, just when it makes sense to do so. I was involved in carbon allotropes for high capacity batteries and support research into renewable energies as part of my work.

How are you spending $200/year on tires and brakes? Tires for my beater Prius are $200-$300 and last 4-6 years.

$200/year for me would cover tires, brakes, and a brand new hybrid battery from the factory every decade, not that the car needs a new hybrid battery every decade.

Also, I'd look for another insurance company. Charging you 5x what you pay for your Subi is nuts!
Other incidentals from driving an older car, eg wheel bearing, seals, etc... also 17" performance tyres and expensive brake pads, I dont cheap out on those.

Insurance is a rip off here, much like most things in the downunderverse. Its a huge cost that people dont factor in when buying a car.

I think you are forgetting that one is a Tesla and one is a Subaru.

We can throw in a Civic, Elantra, Corollla or a thousand other examples that would make one look like a financial moron to even consider a Tesla. You are on a Tesla enthusiast forum not the “Who can keep their 15 year old dinosaur running the longest with salvaged air filters pulled from weekend dumpster diving trips at salvage yards” forum.
I came to this forum before you signed up to research these cars as my next car, I was impressed with the S when I test drove it after they opened a dealership here. However price they are asking on a early production vehicle is stupid, makes zero economic sense.

I have a "15 year old dinosaur running" because I do truly believe in "reduce, reuse and recycle". To keep updating cars like Iphones is very wasteful to the environment and individual. What bothers me is that I dont think Tesla will last that long. They might in theory but seems likely these cars will be economic write off at the 10 year mark.

I think they are a lot of financial morons and sad Tesla devotees living beyond their means looking at the huge finance threads. Repair costs on these cars are insane and you're unable to repair these vehicles yourself since Tesla wont sell you the parts.

It’s always nice to also see WRXs make loud noises and turbo lag from light to light around Camrys but settle the F down when a Tesla pulls up.
Funny you say that seems that Tesla owners oldies that come from Camrys... Had a run with a P85D on a private twisty road, was holding me up, too wide, too heavy and a Camry driver at the wheel waiting to be on page 1... On a straight, old little dinosaur will match a 100D... Leaves a P100D, $250K car to beat a $15K nugget on a straight, kinda embarrassing.

I won't try and change your mind about most of those opinions - I'm fine agreeing to disagree - except for the comment about hybrids being simpler and more reliable. I think it's the opposite: hybrids by definition have an ICE and all of its complexities and costs, PLUS electric engine and brake regeneration mechanical as well. So I think of them as more complex, and more things can go wrong.

I got on to Tesla only a little while ago while researching hybrids for a friend. When I saw the compromises, I thought "wow, a pure electric is so much simpler and more elegant." I don't need a car (2013 Suzuki SX4 for winter, 2007 Miata [pictured] for summer), but I was so convinced in the logic and beauty of Elon's (and co) design that I put my deposit down there and then. I've been obsessed ever since.

It's great you have a hybrid but accept that you're still polluting almost as much. Do you know the RAV4 Hybrid uses only about 10%-20% less fuel than the gas model? I'm sure all the RAV4 drivers are patting themselves on the back because "I'm driving a hybrid!", but it's barely helping.

Again, I respect your priority of extending your assets and not getting into debt - I won't tell you what should be important to you - but I don't agree a hybrid is a simpler design than an EV.
+1 Hybrids are crap. Better off buying a smaller car
+1 Smug hybrid / EV douchbags
+1 avoiding debt on a depreciating asset

Again interesting, apparently ICE cars don't depreciate much in your parts. A 16 year old loaded Subaru WRX goes for about $4K USD here.
Cars in general here, no salted roads, heavy import tarrifs taxes. Depends on the cars, sort after performance cars will keep value. Best Japanese worst European cars.

Looking at CPO model S here, base model fell $60K in 3 years...

I came to this forum before you signed up to research these cars as my next car, I was impressed with the S when I test drove it after they opened a dealership here. However price they are asking on a early production vehicle is stupid, makes zero economic sense.

I have a "15 year old dinosaur running" because I do truly believe in "reduce, reuse and recycle". To keep updating cars like Iphones is very wasteful to the environment and individual. What bothers me is that I dont think Tesla will last that long. They might in theory but seems likely these cars will be economic write off at the 10 year mark.

I think they are a lot of financial morons and sad Tesla devotees living beyond their means looking at the huge finance threads. Repair costs on these cars are insane and you're unable to repair these vehicles yourself since Tesla wont sell you the parts.

No Tesla makes economic sense EVER unless you value more abstract concepts like how much is your life worth if you are ever hit by another car as an example. Anytime someone makes an argument that a Tesla makes more more financial sense than another car, I could shoot that down. Sole exception is probably Tesloop/Taxi services who supercharges multiple times daily.

The Tesla Roadster turns 10 this year. As recently as two years ago, they offered a 85KW retrofit so no reason those cars cannot function for another 10. How you "think" Tesla's will last is not the same as what you can prove.

It's hard to put actual data when you say "a lot of sad Tesla devotees" are living beyond their means. Do you have data to back this up? Do you also know that owners that have 60S could afford P100D's but maybe put the money somewhere else? Everything is opportunity cost. Give and take. Like I said.. I like Scoobies but I give up a lot for reasons other than just money by driving one instead of a Tesla.

Repair cost "potential", insurance costs, home charging infrastructure cost all comes with the territory. No one's disputing that a Tesla is the wrong car for you if you are comparing it against ICE cars you can run into the ground over 15 years for less money.

Funny you say that seems that Tesla owners oldies that come from Camrys... Had a run with a P85D on a private twisty road, was holding me up, too wide, too heavy and a Camry driver at the wheel waiting to be on page 1... On a straight, old little dinosaur will match a 100D... Leaves a P100D, $250K car to beat a $15K nugget on a straight, kinda embarrassing.

SOME Tesla owners are of the variety that drive a Tesla like a Camry. They annoy me as well. I wouldn't judge SOME drivers as anything to do with the capabilities of the vehicle.

It's like the laws of finance and physics don't apply in Australia but

Model S 100D 0-60 = 3.6
Model S 100D Quarter Mile = 10's
Suburu WRX STI Quarter Mile = 13's

The 0-30 which I personally care the most, your wheels don't even spin before I'm gone. And it's gonna be Christmas before that turbo spools up. Christmas is in 9 months in the US. Is it next week in Australia?

Looking at CPO model S here, base model fell $60K in 3 years...

You throw fake numbers everywhere but as someone who doesn't own a Tesla I'd celebrate an opportunity to get in cheap if it is as cheap as you say..

Lastly, you say your 2003 WRX Wagon has 400HP. It comes factory as 227HP. Care to explain?

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
I consider driving a Toyota giving up on life. So no rather keep my old global warmer. Apart from Tesla, EVs are crap, hybrids are pointless and rubbish.
Currently I drive a Prius PHEV (excellent car) and I have not given up on life. The only thing that makes me want to give up on life is our so called "president." So, my next car will be a model 3! :D (Tesla grin). The point of a hybrid is that they pollute less than ICE, more than BEV but less than ICE. Your logic is flawed when you think that ICE cars ARE NOT "crap", "pointless", or "rubbish."

Trust me I fully support sustainable energy and transport, just when it makes sense to do so.
You contradict yourself. Your statement should be, "Only when it makes sense to me do I support sustainable energy and transport." You DO NOT "fully support sustainable energy and transport." You can either be part of the solution or part of the problem, your choice.

Any idea if as a US based tesla owner (soon hopefully when I get the 3), I can order one for my dad who is in France? My dad didn't line up on 3/31/16 and I am afraid he's going to wait a very long time if he puts the deposit on his own now
I seriously doubt it and actually JUST going through the process myself I do not see how it is possible. But I can honestly say the wait is worth it.

Reactions: MXWing
No Tesla makes economic sense EVER unless you value more abstract concepts like how much is your life worth if you are ever hit by another car as an example. Anytime someone makes an argument that a Tesla makes more more financial sense than another car, I could shoot that down. Sole exception is probably Tesloop/Taxi services who supercharges multiple times daily.

The Tesla Roadster turns 10 this year. As recently as two years ago, they offered a 85KW retrofit so no reason those cars cannot function for another 10. How you "think" Tesla's will last is not the same as what you can prove.

It's hard to put actual data when you say "a lot of sad Tesla devotees" are living beyond their means. Do you have data to back this up? Do you also know that owners that have 60S could afford P100D's but maybe put the money somewhere else? Everything is opportunity cost. Give and take. Like I said.. I like Scoobies but I give up a lot for reasons other than just money by driving one instead of a Tesla.

Repair cost "potential", insurance costs, home charging infrastructure cost all comes with the territory. No one's disputing that a Tesla is the wrong car for you if you are comparing it against ICE cars you can run into the ground over 15 years for less money.

SOME Tesla owners are of the variety that drive a Tesla like a Camry. They annoy me as well. I wouldn't judge SOME drivers as anything to do with the capabilities of the vehicle.

You throw fake numbers everywhere but as someone who doesn't own a Tesla I'd celebrate an opportunity to get in cheap if it is as cheap as you say..

Lastly, you say your 2003 WRX Wagon has 400HP. It comes factory as 227HP. Care to explain?
Roaster retrofit was more expensive than the car current value, as I said economic write off in 10 years. Spending the price of a new Model 3 on a kit for a 10 year car is stupid.

Teslas are cheap in the US, here they are stupidly expensive. P100D is $250K, base model X was $180k here. Have a look at used market, these depreciated pretty hard in the first 3 years. Cars at the top of the list were around the $170K mark here.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/te...ea=Stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

Repair cost are a huge issue, plenty of documented issues here. $15K dent for example
Repair Costs - Grrr

Some Camry driver? More than most, it impressive how such a car loaded with active safety features manages to end up in such spectacular accidents that make the news every week.

400HP, you know cars can be modified right? I'm talking more than the sad stickers and vanity plates that technological illiterate Camry come Tesla owners do.

Reactions: internalaudit
Roaster retrofit was more expensive than the car current value, as I said economic write off in 10 years. Spending the price of a new Model 3 on a kit for a 10 year car is stupid.

Teslas are cheap in the US, here they are stupidly expensive. P100D is $250K, base model X was $180k here. Have a look at used market, these depreciated pretty hard in the first 3 years. Cars at the top of the list were around the $170K mark here.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/te...ea=Stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

Repair cost are a huge issue, plenty of documented issues here. $15K dent for example
Repair Costs - Grrr

Some Camry driver? More than most, it impressive how such a car loaded with active safety features manages to end up in such spectacular accidents that make the news every week.

400HP, you know cars can be modified right? I'm talking more than the sad stickers and vanity plates that technological illiterate Camry come Tesla owners do.

Not so stupid when that Roadster is going to go UP in value. You switch your argument back and forth between money issues and sustainability issues. Pick a stance when it comes to retrofitting an existing vehicle. Driving a Suburu for 30 years is also not an option for almost anyone not named Asymmetry.

If you are going to make a distinction between Tesla prices in the US versus Tesla prices in Australia, you should mention that. A more fair complaint would be Tesla prices IN Australia make them even more expensive versus ICE alternatives.

It's not Tesla's fault if someone is "stupid" enough to buy a Tesla in Australia. It's not fair that an American making the same decision is only 3/4 as "stupid", but thats nothing you or I can change.

How many Suburu's crashed today, yesterday or last week. No one knows, because no one cares.

Lastly, yes your Suburu was obviously modified. Who compares cars that are modified? How much did that cost? Would love to see the $/HP gained ratio.

I can put in a ITR engine in a CRX with 1 seat, no AC, ripped out upholstery but wouldn't it be disingenuous to say I'm faster than a P100D in the 1/4?

It could do 800HP and it's still a Suburu. I grew out of that JDM/Import tuner market after college was over.

My ideal car would have been my old 1989 Honda Civic Wagon with Tesla's drive train. It was the perfect size for me with plenty of cargo space. And the station wagon body style make the most interior space for the car's footprint.

Totally not true! Not everybody has the disposable income for a $50K car. A person can be a fan of Tesla and BEVs and be eagerly awaiting the day they can afford one. A person could even be a fan of Tesla and EVs and still prefer to take public transit or ride a bicycle. Those of us who can afford this car are truly fortunate. Most of the world cannot, but they can still be fans of the technology.
Ha.... a 1989 Civic Wagon? My 1993 Red Camry embarrasses your Civic....Camry = pure perfection; 1989 Civic is a distant second place.... and the Model 3? It fails to place in the top 10. Which is why I........

must......

cancel...............

my order.

Ha.... a 1989 Civic Wagon? My 1993 Red Camry embarrasses your Civic....

The Camry is bigger and more expensive than the Civic. My Civic burned less gas than your Camry, and I had no need for a car as big as that. :p A more fair comparison would be the Civic to a Corolla, which I considered at the time. But the Toyota dealer was dishonest, lying about the Civic (the Toyota dealer claimed the Civic was carbureted, when in fact it was fuel-injected). The Toyota dealer didn't even want my business. When I told him the options I wanted, he told me "It doesn't work like that. We put your name on the waiting list and when your turn comes, the next one that comes in, you can take it or not. We sell every Corolla we can get before it arrives on our lot." Meanwhile, the Honda dealer never bad-mouthed the Corolla, he listened to what I wanted, and made sure I got exactly that. He was also honest with me about my trade-in, telling me he would give me X dollars for it, but that I'd get Y dollars more if I sold it myself. And Honda treated me like royalty after the sale, offering me a loaner every time I went in for service, even though I had bought their cheapest car.

Now, nearly three decades later, here I am with my Model 3 configured the way Tesla wanted to configure it rather than the way I wanted and the cars are sold so far in advance that they can say "Here's the car. Buy it or not." But the difference is that this car is better than the Civic, and even better than my old Zap Xebra. :) (Except for being way too big for my needs and preferences.)

Repair Costs - Grrr

Been to Sydney & other parts of Au about a dozen times....love your country. However, everything is expensive there down to a cup of java.

btw: BMW prices in AU site you posted start at $458K: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/re...e.Tesla._.Make.BMW.))&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel