Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Respectfully recommend looking at the Honda Clarity PHEV if anyone is considering that route. I was anti-hybrid and anti-PHEV, but it is a fair compromise. I do almost all driving on electric and use gas only when absolutely necessary.

Signed: Honda driving Tesla fan.

While the Clarity PHEV is one of the better efforts out there, it still suffers from hybrid disease. The only way to achieve full performance is with the gas engine running, which can make it awkward to drive since the gas engine is normally off. It lacks the throttle response found in EREV designs.
The Volt remains the only PHEV that has full advertised HP without waiting for the ICE to start. And it has more EV range and better acceleration.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Although range is short...really short...Honda does make a pure EV....the Clarity Electric. I've sat in the Clarity Plug-in and the interior design,, fit and finish quality is really nice...Lexus nice...better than some Acura I've sat in.

Thanks for that info. $37.5K for 89 miles of range. In 2011 I'd have jumped on that in a heartbeat.

For $56K I got 310 miles of range plus AP and upgraded interior. And next year you can get 220 miles of range for $36K. Probably fewer bugs with the Honda, but also many fewer features. Still, it's good they have an offering in the game.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
The Camry is bigger and more expensive than the Civic. My Civic burned less gas than your Camry, and I had no need for a car as big as that. :p A more fair comparison would be the Civic to a Corolla, which I considered at the time. But the Toyota dealer was dishonest, lying about the Civic (the Toyota dealer claimed the Civic was carbureted, when in fact it was fuel-injected). The Toyota dealer didn't even want my business. When I told him the options I wanted, he told me "It doesn't work like that. We put your name on the waiting list and when your turn comes, the next one that comes in, you can take it or not. We sell every Corolla we can get before it arrives on our lot." Meanwhile, the Honda dealer never bad-mouthed the Corolla, he listened to what I wanted, and made sure I got exactly that. He was also honest with me about my trade-in, telling me he would give me X dollars for it, but that I'd get Y dollars more if I sold it myself. And Honda treated me like royalty after the sale, offering me a loaner every time I went in for service, even though I had bought their cheapest car.

Now, nearly three decades later, here I am with my Model 3 configured the way Tesla wanted to configure it rather than the way I wanted and the cars are sold so far in advance that they can say "Here's the car. Buy it or not." But the difference is that this car is better than the Civic, and even better than my old Zap Xebra. :) (Except for being way too big for my needs and preferences.)

How dare you sir besmirch the honor of my sweet red 1993 Camry. Have you no shame?

I'm a little sad about it, but I decided to cancel my reservation as well today. I had a first-day reservation (made around noon at the Fremont factory which is just a few miles form where I live) and received my invitation to design last week. I was never planning to buy the car without a test drive, but a colleague at work took delivery of his Model 3 a few weeks ago and was kind enough to take me on a short test drive. I was fully expecting to place my order afterwards. But in the end I couldn't convince myself to spend $55K for this car. Reasons:

- The minute I sat down in the car I knew the interior wasn't for me. People say it's minimalist, but to me it just looks cheap, particularly if the car is "lived in" a bit. There were also several annoying little quality issues, e.g. the lid of the middle console kept popping open by itself (not to mention that it attracts fingerprints like crazy which makes it look a bit icky). On the plus side, the screen isn't as big an issue as I had expected. It's placed much closer to the driver than I thought, and I could probably get used to it quickly, although I think Tesla made a mistake by not having physical controls for basic things like adjusting the wiper speed. But overall I just didn't feel very comfortable in the car.

- I tried the EAP (on a clogged freeway) and was a bit disappointed. It's really nothing special. We have a recent Audi Q5 as well, and its so-called "traffic jam assistant" basically does the same thing. The EAP package is way too expensive for what it currently does IMO. Maybe it'll be greatly expanded over time, but honestly I don't have much confidence that Tesla will be able to offer anything that other manufacturers with their much deeper pockets can't match.

- The car has a number of irritating quirks having to do with the "special" features. For example, my colleague is a bit annoyed by the entry system. The Bluetooth connection from his iPhone is unreliable, so he often has to pull out the key card to get into the car. Also, the car didn't want to start at first when I placed the key card on the middle console. We had to get out and back in, and then it suddenly worked. Not sure if I want to deal with quirks like this.

- No Apple Carplay support. Huh? I couldn't believe a "techy" car like this doesn't support that. I use it all the time in my current car and don't really want to do without it.

- People say the car is great fun to drive and that is true. The responsiveness is really great. But IMO the difference compared to more conventional cars in the same price category just isn't as big as it is made out to be. And in return these cars have an interior that's in a different league than Tesla's, and in some cases even better tech features such as Carplay and Audi's amazing virtual cockpit.

So, after mulling over it for a few days, I decided to cancel my reservation. I'd really like to switch to an EV, but I feel the best way forward for me is to wait a bit longer until there is a car that I feel more comfortable with.

I'm a little sad about it, but I decided to cancel my reservation as well today. I had a first-day reservation (made around noon at the Fremont factory which is just a few miles form where I live) and received my invitation to design last week. I was never planning to buy the car without a test drive, but a colleague at work took delivery of his Model 3 a few weeks ago and was kind enough to take me on a short test drive. I was fully expecting to place my order afterwards. But in the end I couldn't convince myself to spend $55K for this car. Reasons:

- The minute I sat down in the car I knew the interior wasn't for me. People say it's minimalist, but to me it just looks cheap, particularly if the car is "lived in" a bit. There were also several annoying little quality issues, e.g. the lid of the middle console kept popping open by itself (not to mention that it attracts fingerprints like crazy which makes it look a bit icky). On the plus side, the screen isn't as big an issue as I had expected. It's placed much closer to the driver than I thought, and I could probably get used to it quickly, although I think Tesla made a mistake by not having physical controls for basic things like adjusting the wiper speed. But overall I just didn't feel very comfortable in the car.

- I tried the EAP (on a clogged freeway) and was a bit disappointed. It's really nothing special. We have a recent Audi Q5 as well, and its so-called "traffic jam assistant" basically does the same thing. The EAP package is way too expensive for what it currently does IMO. Maybe it'll be greatly expanded over time, but honestly I don't have much confidence that Tesla will be able to offer anything that other manufacturers with their much deeper pockets can't match.

- The car has a number of irritating quirks having to do with the "special" features. For example, my colleague is a bit annoyed by the entry system. The Bluetooth connection from his iPhone is unreliable, so he often has to pull out the key card to get into the car. Also, the car didn't want to start at first when I placed the key card on the middle console. We had to get out and back in, and then it suddenly worked. Not sure if I want to deal with quirks like this.

- No Apple Carplay support. Huh? I couldn't believe a "techy" car like this doesn't support that. I use it all the time in my current car and don't really want to do without it.

- People say the car is great fun to drive and that is true. The responsiveness is really great. But IMO the difference compared to more conventional cars in the same price category just isn't as big as it is made out to be. And in return these cars have an interior that's in a different league than Tesla's, and in some cases even better tech features such as Carplay and Audi's amazing virtual cockpit.

So, after mulling over it for a few days, I decided to cancel my reservation. I'd really like to switch to an EV, but I feel the best way forward for me is to wait a bit longer until there is a car that I feel more comfortable with.
Not to quibble, because everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion, but a couple of these could use some clarification. You are 100% correct that EAP in traffic is the same as any other car (this really isn’t that hard to do), but EAP really shines at full speed on the highway where it’s hard to beat, especially with recent updates. As far as CarPlay goes, I had it on my last car and the only real benefit was having maps displayed on my head unit instead of crappy OEM nav. No real need for this since updatable maps are already installed on a beautiful, giant screen. I suppose if you use Apple Music it’s a minor inconvenience to pick up the phone instead, but it’s also a pain to do much through the CarPlay UI other than picking a playlist. Totally understand cancelling, it’s def not for everybody. But after just a few days, I can say it’s pretty damn amazing!

• Informative
Reactions: cella

tenor.gif

You are 100% correct that EAP in traffic is the same as any other car (this really isn’t that hard to do), but EAP really shines at full speed on the highway where it’s hard to beat, especially with recent updates.
To clarify, I also used the EAP on a stretch of freeway with light traffic (driving close to the speed limit). I don't really see how it's better than what our Audi does with lane keep assist and traffic-aware cruise control. The only difference as far as I can tell is being able to trigger a lane change by using the turn signal, but I don't really see much value in that.
As far as CarPlay goes, I had it on my last car and the only real benefit was having maps displayed on my head unit instead of crappy OEM nav. No real need for this since updatable maps are already installed on a beautiful, giant screen. I suppose if you use Apple Music it’s a minor inconvenience to pick up the phone instead, but it’s also a pain to do much through the CarPlay UI other than picking a playlist.
I use it for various things, including Spotify, the Podcast app, and also navigation. A big advantage over any inbuilt navigation system is that I can easily set addresses that I receive by text message or from another app as trip destinations with a single tap. Is there a way to transfer addresses from a phone to the car's navigation system via the Tesla app?

To clarify, I also used the EAP on a stretch of freeway with light traffic (driving close to the speed limit). I don't really see how it's better than what our Audi does with lane keep assist and traffic-aware cruise control. The only difference as far as I can tell is being able to trigger a lane change by using the turn signal, but I don't really see much value in that.
I use it for various things, including Spotify, the Podcast app, and also navigation. A big advantage over any inbuilt navigation system is that I can easily set addresses that I receive by text message or from another app as trip destinations with a single tap. Is there a way to transfer addresses from a phone to the car's navigation system via the Tesla app?
I think you’re missing the point of the whole EV thing.

Very true! Doesn’t Audi have a speed limit though? I think above 35ish it just “guides” you if you are about to exit the lane. Not a true autopilot from my understanding.

I guess you could tap voice command and just read it? I do 95%+ of my driving to places I already know, but I could see where this may be annoying if you go to multiple unknown destinations each day. I wasn’t a big fan of Spotify app on CarPlay, hence the move to Apple Music. I highly recommend it if you’re sticking with CarPlay! Podcast app is fine but easily replaceable with something equal or better IMO. They really screwed it up last year.

While the Clarity PHEV is one of the better efforts out there, it still suffers from hybrid disease. The only way to achieve full performance is with the gas engine running, which can make it awkward to drive since the gas engine is normally off. It lacks the throttle response found in EREV designs.
The Volt remains the only PHEV that has full advertised HP without waiting for the ICE to start. And it has more EV range and better acceleration.
Yes, however you do have to put your foot pretty far into it to get the ICE to kick on in normal mode. I will also admit I’m more into the nice interior and comfortable ride than the performance. Coming from a LEAF it feels like a dream, but I’ll be the first to admit that’s a pretty low bar. :)

People cancelling their reservation really should think about it as this car is not like any other car. We have had our car for about nine months now. When getting other new cars the "newness" of the car wears off rather soon. My experience is that after about two months the car you are driving is same car you have driven before, nothing special.

Tesla is different. We are still looking forward in driving this car every day. This is rather strange. I notice this happening especially when new features come available with OTA software updates. It is just so much fun trying them out. Also the instant torque, "playing" with the owners of these RAM's and F150's - who think they are the king of the road - when traffic lights hit green is so much fun...

Hah.. Cella sure wouldn't like the Dec 22nd 2016 version of my Model X.

No cruise control of any kind. Worse than my 1987 Nissan Maxima.

The responsiveness is really great. But IMO the difference compared to more conventional cars in the same price category just isn't as big as it is made out to be.

Maybe it's because I'm a Teslarian and you are an Earthling but comparing the responsiveness is inane.

I'm already half way to the next synchronized green light before your wheels even SPIN.

I give the fact that it wouldn't kill Elon to give us like one more stalk or 2 more buttons but I'll be happy to take the first P AWD Model 3 completely sight unseen.

I'm sure you've made one person happier with your cancellation.

• Love
Reactions: buttershrimp
People cancelling their reservation really should think about it as this car is not like any other car. We have had our car for about nine months now. When getting other new cars the "newness" of the car wears off rather soon. My experience is that after about two months the car you are driving is same car you have driven before, nothing special.

Tesla is different. We are still looking forward in driving this car every day. This is rather strange. I notice this happening especially when new features come available with OTA software updates. It is just so much fun trying them out. Also the instant torque, "playing" with the owners of these RAM's and F150's - who think they are the king of the road - when traffic lights hit green is so much fun...

You get it. It can't be compared to other cars even though it looks like one and has 4 wheels.

I'm just waiting in anticipation for that alert to come through to install the new MCU Software and new Tesla mapping system.

The best part is all these Suburus and Beemers being obnoxious from light to light settle the F down when a Tesla shows up.

Maybe it's because I'm a Teslarian and you are an Earthling but comparing the responsiveness is inane.

I'm already half way to the next synchronized green light before your wheels even SPIN.
Well, giving away my age here, but I stopped doing stop light races a couple of decades ago. You are very welcome to race ahead to the next red light. :p The responsiveness is way more important to me than such things because it can improve safety e.g. when passing or merging into traffic.
I'm sure you've made one person happier with your cancellation.
Feeling a little less sad now. :)

Reactions: N5329K