Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Toyota Prius is mechanically fairly simple but computationally very complex. In its day it burned about half as much fuel as other cars and got the best pollution rating of any car then available, the EVs of the 90's being then no longer made and only available very rarely and for a lot of money on the used market. It was cutting edge technology and the greenest private automobile you could buy new.

That was then, and this is now. A modern EV uses about half as much energy as a Prius while delivering significantly better performance. The U.S. grid is getting cleaner by the year; in many places you can choose to pay a bit extra for solar or wind power; and depending on your home location and design, in many places you can power your car from your own solar installation.

All that said, EVs still pay a penalty in both cost and convenience for all those batteries, and they are not for everyone. As much as I've loved all three of my EVs, I would advise anybody never to borrow money for a car if you can avoid it, and if you must borrow, then get the most economical car that can meet your needs, which will probably be a 3 to 5 year old economy stinker. (I am very debt-averse. I think that going into debt is a dreadful idea if you can possibly avoid it. I am aware of the arguments on the other side, but I think debt is more likely to bite you in the butt in the end. JMO.)

I agree on your "avoid debt above all" argument. Thanks for the info on EV technology.

Yes and no. There are new systems, with new failure modes. However, these new systems reduce the normal modes of wear and tear and eliminate some of the most complex and failure prone parts

Many hybrids don't have a conventional transmission, merely a couple gears hooking the motors and engine together (much, much more reliable since there's no clutching, no shifting under load, and far less heating.

The alternator and starter motor are two of the most common failure points - also eliminated.

As he noted above, using a 50kW permanent magnet motor to start the engine is much more certain than using a 1 kW 12V motor in the cold - and most hybrids spin the engine all the way to idle, wait for oil pressure, and then start fuel injection/combustion - which eliminates the 80% of engine wear that comes from the initial start up before oil lubrication is there.

Regenerative braking means longer life for the brakes, too.

I'll not argue your point about savings - certainly hybrids are an improvement, but usually not a huge one, and EVs have major advantages over hybrids.

Very informative reply - thanks.

Reactions: Saghost
(I am very debt-averse. I think that going into debt is a dreadful idea if you can possibly avoid it. I am aware of the arguments on the other side, but I think debt is more likely to bite you in the butt in the end. JMO.)
@daniel, I think it is a generational thing. Those of us who are past retirement age should be debt adverse to protect our retirement asset portfolio. For those who are still working, assuming debt makes sense if done wisely. In fact, reasonable personal debt can be good for the economy in many cases. Having said the above, even though I can pay cash, I may finance a portion of my model 3 if I can get some of that <2% rate for 36 months if they are available at the time I get my invitation. IMO, $TSLA is a bargain price right now if you can finance the purchase of that stock with <2% money.

The best reason for cancelling your reservation is for most folk it was never necessary to begin with.
  • If you waited in line at a store and you were an existing owner, it only gave some of you a small jump. Existing owners don't need reservations.
  • If you waited in line at a store and you were NOT an existing owner, you probably have not received an invite yet. Now they are servicing all Canadian orders if I understand it right, and soon will be servicing AWD orders from existing MS/X owners. You have a long way to go most likely.
  • If you ordered on-line it did nothing at this point. It has no known advantage as of today.
  • You can buy a brand new Model 3LR by finding any existing MS/X owner, and having them order you one. Even if they had no reservation.
Be honest. How many of you would have reserved if you were told this on March 31, 2016?

Reactions: kablammyman
My WRX I bought at one year old for $29K, 15 years later I can sell it for 15K, net depreciation of $15K over a longer period of time. This is why I'm going for a Subaru again over a Tesla.

Again interesting, apparently ICE cars don't depreciate much in your parts. A 16 year old loaded Subaru WRX goes for about $4K USD here.

Now where is that ignore feature....

Last edited:
Again interesting, apparently ICE cars don't depreciate much in your parts. A 16 year old loaded Subaru WRX goes for about $4K USD here.

Now where is that ignore feature....

Haha NET depreciation. It’s factoring in all the savings from diving into dumpsters and getting Suburu parts to install into his car.

Did you read his math analysis in detail? If it doesn’t make sense you haven’t smoked enough eucalyptus leaves.

• Funny
Reactions: ölbrenner
The best reason for cancelling your reservation is for most folk it was never necessary to begin with.
  • If you waited in line at a store and you were an existing owner, it only gave some of you a small jump. Existing owners don't need reservations.
  • If you waited in line at a store and you were NOT an existing owner, you probably have not received an invite yet. Now they are servicing all Canadian orders if I understand it right, and soon will be servicing AWD orders from existing MS/X owners. You have a long way to go most likely.
  • If you ordered on-line it did nothing at this point. It has no known advantage as of today.
  • You can buy a brand new Model 3LR by finding any existing MS/X owner, and having them order you one. Even if they had no reservation.
Be honest. How many of you would have reserved if you were told this on March 31, 2016?
To be fair those of us that waited in line had no clue when we would get the car or even what it looked like, so yeah I would stand in line again with such knowledge. Would also like to point out that if Tesla had gotten say 40k preorders before the unveil we would all probably be having a different conversation as they probably wouldn't have "pushed so hard" (or cut corners depending on who you talk to) to get the vehicle out "earlier" than they initially said.

Reactions: dhrivnak

Scheduled to release in a little more than a year from now

Honda makes excellent cars. If they'd been making a BEV in 2006/7 I'd have bought that instead of my Xebra. If they'd been making a BEV in 2011 I'd have bought it instead of my Roadster. If they made a BEV now I'd have compared it with the Tesla Model 3 to decide which one was better for me over all.

Now it's 2017 and they're finally making a hybrid that gets the same mileage as my 2004 Prius. But will this be a high-volume car or just a compliance car? In November of 2003 I wanted to compare the Prius with the Honda hybrid, and I could not find a Honda to even look at, much less test drive. Meanwhile, the Toyota dealer let me take their demo 2004 Prius for a weekend, from late Saturday afternoon to early Monday morning.

Honda treated me like royalty when I bought their cheapest car (1989 Civic). I never had a minute's trouble with that car. Occasionally at a scheduled oil change they'd tell me "Your gazumphalap* is worn out and needs replacing," and I'd have them replace it. But the car never failed to start or left me stranded and never had to visit the dealership other than at scheduled maintenance time. It was and is a disappointment to me that they were so slow getting into hybrids and are not now making a BEV.

* I've probably misspelled that. o_O

This is true, but I think existing owner priority ended on, or about Feb. 22nd, when they started letting non-owners configure. At least that's the impression I get from the few that have posted about new reservations.
I think there are several hundred, if not more, non-owner line waiters that have been invited - I'm one of them.
I know of several, at least, online reservations that have been invited. For the most part though you're right, it hasn't mattered yet, but it should as production ramps up.
I'm not sure that that is the case any more. There have been many reports that owners placing new reservations, after they started invited non-owners, that have not received owner priority.
I would have.

Reactions: dhrivnak

I would have.

I would have simply waited and watched if I knew an on-line order was pointless for non-owners.

I don't believe folk who say they got the invite from an on-line request in the US with no special circumstances.
Software bug, bad data entry, fibbing about how they got the car registered, etc.

I can't see the Tesla staff being that big of priicks when there were so many line waiters left in the queue. A mistake, or misrepresentation, or we would have seen dozens posted.

@daniel, I think it is a generational thing. Those of us who are past retirement age should be debt adverse to protect our retirement asset portfolio. For those who are still working, assuming debt makes sense if done wisely. In fact, reasonable personal debt can be good for the economy in many cases. Having said the above, even though I can pay cash, I may finance a portion of my model 3 if I can get some of that <2% rate for 36 months if they are available at the time I get my invitation. IMO, $TSLA is a bargain price right now if you can finance the purchase of that stock with <2% money.

I am retired. But I've been debt-averse all my life. My sister, who always ran her credit cards up to the max buying things she didn't need with money she didn't have, was always stressed out about money. I lived with far fewer things, but never was stressed about money.

Borrowing money to buy stock is a huge gamble. You could make a little bit of money, or you could be wiped out. Borrowing money to buy stock is a lot like borrowing money to play craps in Las Vegas. The difference is that in the former case, if you lose, they take your house, and in the latter case, if you lose they break your kneecaps. Nobody knows what the market will do in the short run, and nobody knows whether Tesla will keep its lead and become the behemoth of American car makers or whether the Japanese or the Chinese will get their act together and be the EV leader in a decade.

I personally think that TSLA is a good place for the high-risk portion of your portfolio. It has the potential in a decade or two (retirement time frame for young people today) to be a strong and profitable company. But it could also lose out to the competition and go out of business. As I've said, I own a few shares of the stock just so I can feel as though I'm part of this wonderful company. If they go bust tomorrow I won't lose my home or miss a meal.

You come across as very bitter and contemptuous ...
People buying the model 3 are by no means 1%ers, they aren't switching cars like iPhones, and certainly don't live in McMansions.

It's like someone flipping hamburgers at McDonalds pissed off on why they aren't making $15 per hour.

If they knew why someone flipping hamburgers wasn't making $15 an hour at McDonalds -

they wouldn't be working at McDonalds and would be making more than $15 an hour.

The eternal paradox.

There's having money... and there's having MONEY.

99% of Tesla owner puts you nowhere near the latter category.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Lem89 and dhrivnak
Scheduled to release in a little more than a year from now

Honda makes excellent cars. If they'd been making a BEV in 2006/7 I'd have bought that instead of my Xebra. If they'd been making a BEV in 2011 I'd have bought it instead of my Roadster. If they made a BEV now I'd have compared it with the Tesla Model 3 to decide which one was better for me over all.

Now it's 2017 and they're finally making a hybrid that gets the same mileage as my 2004 Prius. But will this be a high-volume car or just a compliance car? In November of 2003 I wanted to compare the Prius with the Honda hybrid, and I could not find a Honda to even look at, much less test drive. Meanwhile, the Toyota dealer let me take their demo 2004 Prius for a weekend, from late Saturday afternoon to early Monday morning.

Honda treated me like royalty when I bought their cheapest car (1989 Civic). I never had a minute's trouble with that car. Occasionally at a scheduled oil change they'd tell me "Your gazumphalap* is worn out and needs replacing," and I'd have them replace it. But the car never failed to start or left me stranded and never had to visit the dealership other than at scheduled maintenance time. It was and is a disappointment to me that they were so slow getting into hybrids and are not now making a BEV.

* I've probably misspelled that. o_O

The upcoming Insight/Civic Hybrid looks cool... I'm sure they'll be in the EV game soon, but with new CR-Vs and Civics selling like hotcakes, they probably don't have a lot of short-term urgency.

Reactions: brkaus
The upcoming Insight/Civic Hybrid looks cool... I'm sure they'll be in the EV game soon, but with new CR-Vs and Civics selling like hotcakes, they probably don't have a lot of short-term urgency.

I hope so. Back when I was driving the Xebra someone on another board commented that Honda as a company was very committed to internal combustion engines. That person thought Honda would never build an EV. They don't seem particularly interested in it yet.

I would have simply waited and watched if I knew an on-line order was pointless for non-owners.
Regardless of how you reserve, the earlier you do so the more likely you are of getting an earlier invite. If you were a non-owner and had waited and not reserved on 31 Mar then you would be behind everyone that reserved before you. Glitches and errors aside someone reserving the US on day is certainly more likely to get their invite sooner than someone that waited.

Like you, I never invest more than I can afford to lose.

I may have given a mistaken impression. All my savings are invested and I live on the proceeds. But they are not invested in individual stock issues and I do not trade other than to buy a nice safe low-cost mutual fund for the long term, or to re-invest the proceeds from a bond that has matured or been called, and, much less often, to sell a fund that seems to be on the wrong track and re-invest in another, again for the long term.

Day trading is just like gambling at the craps table in Vegas, and thinking you can out-guess the market on individual companies is delusional.

Way back when the Model S was just first coming out there was a guy on this board who was constantly complaining and crying because TSLA was not moving enough. He apparently had put all his money in it and felt that Tesla owed him fabulous riches for buying the stock and he had a right to become rich because he'd bought the shares.

Elon Musk's responsibility is to make the best cars he can, fix problems that arise, and re-invest in growth because growth is the stated objective of the company. If he can do this, the stock price will go up in the long term as the company grows. He is not responsible for the vagaries of the market that has always made TSLA an extremely volatile stock. It's always gone way up and way down, and nobody has grounds for complaint when it keeps doing what it's always done.

I've always said that if you buy TSLA you're buying for the long term. You might get lucky and make money on the short term if you buy it on the way up, but since nobody can predict the market, short-term investing is just speculation, which is to say gambling.

If you know this, if having gotten that reservation was pointless, then why haven't canceled your reservation? Do it [ & get out of the way of me others in the line :cool: ].

Walk what you talk or save us the moaning noise.

P.S. If I'd known about the event prior to it happening (I didn't) and with all the hindsight of what we actually know, I probably would have stood in line at the "local" store. :p

Last edited:
P.S. If I'd known about the event prior to it happening (I didn't) and with all the hindsight of what we actually know, I probably would have stood in line at the "local" store.

Same. I knew there was a big unveil, but I didn't know that there was pre-registration before the unveil from by standing in line. I also didn't get to watch the unveil live (because, you know, kids), so I watched it later that night. Then I started reading about the number of reservations, and realized I had to get in as soon as I could. If I'd known all of that ahead of time, I would have stood in line (and I hate lines!). Instead, I'm a 4/1 reservation holder, and I want the AWD, so I'm looking at end of this year. Would have loved to get it during the summer so we could take some road trips.

Reactions: ℬête Noire