Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts are you sound really insecure and you've come to the right place to voice this thought since there are ridiculous number of hardcore Tesla fans here who would tell people to sell their grandmother if it meant it let them drive an EV.

Two things can seem diametrically opposed and yet both be true.

#1 Tesla is developing some of the most amazing automotive technology anybody has ever seen.

#2 Tesla is struggling to manufacture their new cars in anything marginally close to the numbers to they need in order to be successful long term and is having quality issues.

Every person needs to decide for themselves how comfortable they are spending $50K+ on a car from a company that may or may not be around in another few years. I would imagine, with the number of cars built, and the amount of IP that Tesla has, that even if they ended up going bankrupt someone would buy the carcass and continue to service the current owners for the foreseeable future. More than likely if/when that unfortunate event took place the company buying Tesla would be another automotive manufacturer.

Oh I remember these worries with the model x. As long as they continue to work on it, they should be fine. Without another manufacturer producing a viable alternative, we are one press release away from Tesla frenzy... coast to coast, new battery, model y you name it.

Let’s just hope we don’t suffer some economic collapse that would make it hard for them to borrow if it came to that.

Does this sound familiar?
"Early adopter: an individual or business who uses a new product or technology before others. An early adopter is likely to pay more for the product than later adopters and accept deficiencies in it more readily, but accepts flaws because using the product improves efficiency, reduces cost, increases market penetration or simply raises the early adopter's social status. Companies rely on early adopters to provide feedback about product deficiencies, and to cover the cost of the product's research and development."
Model 3 wasn't really supposed to be primarily aimed at or intended for early adopters. It was supposed to be a Tesla for the rest of us. But it is what it is. Casting shade on people who decide not for me seems unnecessary.
Robin

Every person needs to decide for themselves how comfortable they are spending $50K+ on a car from a company that may or may not be around in another few years. ...

I paid $117,000 for my Roadster, at a time when it was really uncertain whether or not Tesla would survive. The government loan (which Tesla paid off in full, early!) and Elon putting his last personal million dollars into it kept it afloat and the Model S gave it the boost it needed. The Model 3 is less than half what I paid for the Roadster, and the chances of Tesla going bust are much smaller than they were.

The cautious play is to wait a while. But you never get time back once it's gone by, and I didn't want to have to wait before being able to drive this car. Here's the difference: Would Mary Barra or James Hackett put any of their own personal fortune to keep GM or Ford afloat in hard times? Or would they take their golden parachutes and leave the company to crash and burn?

Tesla could still fail. But Musk has a personal commitment to electric transportation. Other car companies have CEOs who are just there to make their astronomical salaries. Musk is there because he wants to make the world a better place by replacing gasoline with electricity in our cars. I took a chance on the Roadster and had nearly 7 years of driving that wonderful and amazing car (which some lucky person could now enjoy for another seven years or more). Now I get to drive a more practical and comfortable car that, in its way, is just as amazing and still 100% fusion powered. (Here in the PNW my electricity comes from hydro, and it's fusion power from the sun that drives the hydrologic cycle that provides energy for hydro.)

This “Cancelling my Reservation” thread is definitely the best “Cancelling my Reservation” thread. 10/10 would recommend.

I hope they keep going as I really want that 2020 Model S 120 with the refresh, and hopefully working FSD. I think they can do it.

• Funny
Reactions: Surfer
Hmmm ... "you sound really insecure."
I don't think that is an accurate description at all. I'm hanging in for the long haul .... in fact, my number is most likely not going to come up for a year or more, yet I remain committed. I'm a hell of a lot more secure that some of the post that I read on this and other threads.

My comment was more about the media than Tesla. I feel the media is the root cause of most of the nations problems. Gone are the day of objective reporting ... enthusiast can tolerate bad news ... but even good news is slanted towards the negative. Every wreck that involves an electric car anywhere in the world is gleefully reported. The old adage .... do not let a bad incident go to waste seems to apply..

Well enough of that ....
I think Tesla has done a remarkable job of getting a start-up product on the market. I can't imagine all that is involved in setting-up stamping machine accuracy, exactly calibrating "jigs," programming robot welders, and training employees that may have never assembled a vehicle before. I'm hoping Tesla can make it .... "another automobile manufacturer" would more than likely strip the machinery and equipment, and divert from the technology.

Finally, it doesn't help when reservation holders cite all the reasons why they are defecting. No-one needs to justify their decision. I can't help but wonder if they are trying to influence others that are "on the fence?" I had been interested in the Ioniq. When I lost interest, I stopped reading the forum, and turned away .... sparing other all my reason, that most could care less about.

Finally, it doesn't help when reservation holders cite all the reasons why they are defecting. No-one needs to justify their decision. I can't help but wonder if they are trying to influence others that are "on the fence?" I had been interested in the Ioniq. When I lost interest, I stopped reading the forum, and turned away .... sparing other all my reason, that most could care less about.

When people invest their money and time waiting for a car 2+ years, they have a right to voice their reasoning and opinions why they are no longer interested .

I don't think that is an accurate description at all. I'm hanging in for the long haul .... in fact, my number is most likely not going to come up for a year or more, yet I remain committed. I'm a hell of a lot more secure that some of the post that I read on this and other threads.

My comment was more about the media than Tesla. I feel the media is the root cause of most of the nations problems. Gone are the day of objective reporting ... enthusiast can tolerate bad news ... but even good news is slanted towards the negative. Every wreck that involves an electric car anywhere in the world is gleefully reported. The old adage .... do not let a bad incident go to waste seems to apply..

Well enough of that ....
I think Tesla has done a remarkable job of getting a start-up product on the market. I can't imagine all that is involved in setting-up stamping machine accuracy, exactly calibrating "jigs," programming robot welders, and training employees that may have never assembled a vehicle before. I'm hoping Tesla can make it .... "another automobile manufacturer" would more than likely strip the machinery and equipment, and divert from the technology.

OMG.

Tesla’s financial loses,failures to deliver, or quality/organization issues are not caused by bad reporting. I mocked this exact line of thinking when I posted about Moody’s.

Tesla is facing some huge challenges, and I think stopping speech about those challenges could harm regular consumers that have invested $1000.00 in a deposit for a car that has not yet been delivered at the price advertised.
$35k is the average price of a car, don’t average people deserve to hear all opinions about what is a large investment for them?

My posts are not that positive because I believe Tesla has lost its way. I love the product, but I believe they should not be trusted.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and X Yes?
I paid $117,000 for my Roadster, at a time when it was really uncertain whether or not Tesla would survive. The government loan (which Tesla paid off in full, early!) and Elon putting his last personal million dollars into it kept it afloat and the Model S gave it the boost it needed. The Model 3 is less than half what I paid for the Roadster, and the chances of Tesla going bust are much smaller than they were.

The cautious play is to wait a while. But you never get time back once it's gone by, and I didn't want to have to wait before being able to drive this car. Here's the difference: Would Mary Barra or James Hackett put any of their own personal fortune to keep GM or Ford afloat in hard times? Or would they take their golden parachutes and leave the company to crash and burn?

Tesla could still fail. But Musk has a personal commitment to electric transportation. Other car companies have CEOs who are just there to make their astronomical salaries. Musk is there because he wants to make the world a better place by replacing gasoline with electricity in our cars. I took a chance on the Roadster and had nearly 7 years of driving that wonderful and amazing car (which some lucky person could now enjoy for another seven years or more). Now I get to drive a more practical and comfortable car that, in its way, is just as amazing and still 100% fusion powered. (Here in the PNW my electricity comes from hydro, and it's fusion power from the sun that drives the hydrologic cycle that provides energy for hydro.)

I think Elon will have to put money in to keep Tesla afloat.

I don’t believe the chance of going broke is going down. If Tesla’s business model is unsustainable, we are getting closer to when they will go broke.

I don’t want them to go broke, but I believe they are being dishonest and have lost their way.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and X Yes?
I’m disappointed in the car. It’s not for me. I should be able to express that after years of waiting and a paid sponsorship of this site. If the Model 3 can’t stand up to some scrutiny and some comments from people who look at other options, it may be in more trouble than we imagine.

I’m not trying to influence or sway anyone, but I’d like people who changed their minds to know they’re not alone. I’d also like to be able to share with other interested individuals expectations of what I’d like to see from future offerings that were not met in the Model 3. If you can’t handle that, maybe stay away from the threads with “cancel” on the title.

I’m disappointed in the car. It’s not for me. I should be able to express that after years of waiting and a paid sponsorship of this site. If the Model 3 can’t stand up to some scrutiny and some comments from people who look at other options, it may be in more trouble than we imagine.

I’m not trying to influence or sway anyone, but I’d like people who changed their minds to know they’re not alone. I’d also like to be able to share with other interested individuals expectations of what I’d like to see from future offerings that were not met in the Model 3. If you can’t handle that, maybe stay away from the threads with “cancel” on the title.

I agree. Maybe this is an inflection point that will lead to better out of Tesla. The design is amazing, but the Elon distortion field and unfulfilled promises are annoying.

Reactions: X Yes?
To be frank: It's easy to be "committed" if all that's on the line is a $1000 refundable reservation fee. I was also "committed" and fully expecting to buy the car until the day came that I could actually place the order. Then you start thinking about the $55K+ that you're about to plunk down. If you have driven other cars in that price range (or higher), you also start comparing in your head (especially if you have an opportunity to actually drive or at least sit in the car). The fog of hype starts to lift and reality sets in. Depending on your needs and priorities, the outcome may or may not remain favorable. If that's a lack of "commitment" in your eyes, so be it.

Besides, even having decided that the Model 3 in its current form isn't for me, I am still committed to EVs (hey, my daily commuter car is at least a plugin hybrid) and to what Tesla is trying to do. And the EV that I will eventually buy may still turn out to be a Tesla (Model Y sounds appealing if they fix some of the things I don't like about the 3 :)).
Finally, it doesn't help when reservation holders cite all the reasons why they are defecting.
"Defecting"? Really? It's a purchase decision, that's all.

Tesla has taken some serious hits in the last week all the while they seem to have once again missed their own self imposed production goals. I’m not cancelling but I’m beginning to grow concerned about the position Tesla is putting themselves in, they are talking semis and roadsters when they can’t get the 3 out the door. On top of that Autopilot continues to lag behind Elon’s projections as well. Elon and Tesla are unrealistic, if they tempered what they said publicly customers would be less frustrated and disappointed. As the two year anniversary of my reservation passes my frustration grows daily as I continue to stretch the life of my ICE for the 3 that seemingly never arrives.

We have had our M3 for 6 weeks the temp and radio changes are easy and always visible. Things that take more screen time like adjusting the steering wheel should be completed before you start moving. Speed is easy to monitor on the left side. This fear of having everything on the display and thinking you need to navigate to through numerous screens and menus is simply not what we have experienced.. Spend some time at a show room with a M3 if possible. How often when you are driving do you plan to modify Miles to Kilometers, steering wheel position, define if your mirrors fold in or stay out when the doors lock??

We have had our M3 for 6 weeks the temp and radio changes are easy and always visible. Things that take more screen time like adjusting the steering wheel should be completed before you start moving. Speed is easy to monitor on the left side. This fear of having everything on the display and thinking you need to navigate to through numerous screens and menus is simply not what we have experienced.. Spend some time at a show room with a M3 if possible. How often when you are driving do you plan to modify Miles to Kilometers, steering wheel position, define if your mirrors fold in or stay out when the doors lock??

I completely believe the controls on the car are futuristic and manageable. I want the car....just don’t trust the company. People in USA whine too much about figuring out cars, that’s why Toyota’s come with fisher price looking radios.
Remember RIM Blackberry with lots of buttons.....how did they end up?

Tesla design is amazing.

Reactions: voltage and Grendal

I agree 100% that people have a right to express their preferences, desires, disappointments, etc. That said, I was extremely disappointed in the car the first few days. I seriously pondered selling it and sticking with the Roadster. After trying AP for the first time (two software versions ago) I almost drove to CarMax to see what they'd give me for it. But I procrastinated on that and kept driving it and began getting used to it. Now, with the latest software version AP works much smoother, and I find I enjoy the increased comfort. There are still some things I don't like, but all are amenable to software updates, and the biggest is said to be coming soon. (See below.) It would take a disaster to get me back to gasoline, and shy of a dual-motor Model S, which is way too big for me, the 3 seems to be the best EV on the market. And a few people have posted that they like their new 3 more than their S!

I'd encourage new owners to give the car a week or two before acting on your disappointment. But I'd also discourage anyone from buying any car that would stretch your budget. Bottom line: A car is transportation and not worth going into debt over.

I agree with much of the above, but two items currently requiring menu-diving really need to be adjustable without taking your eyes off the road. They are set speed and AP follow distance. I want to follow a little closer in heavy traffic and a little farther back in light traffic. Fortunately, both of these are rumored to be moving to the thumb wheel in the next update.

Wh
It seems the media is doing all they can to destroy Tesla,

It's been a tough couple of weeks.
The media continues to show the totally destroyed MS;
Apparently there is an enormous recall announced today?
an un-named "hedge fund" personality predicted Tesla will collapse soon .... FOX Business mentions that daily;
Also, this morning (FOX Business) a guest said Tesla is good at talking, but a poor manufacturer of automobiles.
And even this thread, many feel compelled to list all the reasons they are cancelling ..... do we care?

There are testimonials on this forum that would seem to dispute the above, but the media is not interested in success stories.
I know the initial roll-out was "spotty," but from what I read, things are coming together now.
I haven't studied the situation, but E. Musk seems to have created some of his own problems by talking too much, and many have interpreted his statements as promises. Another thread on this forum has a long discussion about "promises" and "estimates."

Again, I have not studied the facts, but based on what I read on this forum, I tend to feel that in one regard Tesla has over-extended themselves.
Roadster, S, X, C, Semi and now talk of a Y.
I'd like to see them out-shop a reasonable number of problem-free, vehicles before venturing into additional models. Too much reliance of Service Centers to correct manufacturing blemishes.

Any thoughts?

Maybe it's not too late for Tesla to outsource its assembly operations maybe for the Y? Even Magna Steyr assembles car for BMW and other makers. Perhaps volume is not there to make outsourcing possible, for now.

What settings can be set via the driver memory position/selector? If there will be additional settings that can be programmed in the future, then the PUP will be god sent for multiple drivers.

since there are ridiculous number of hardcore Tesla fans here who would tell people to sell their grandmother if it meant it let them drive an EV.
A ridiculous number, eh? Should we implement a Grandmothers For Sale section here at TMC, then?

What hyperbole. Clearly intended to denigrate and dismiss other members' opinions. I'm certain you can do better.