Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled delivery appointment, and VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a delivery date, but Tesla cancelled 3 days before. I called & was told my car delivery was delayed, but that I was put on “Priority Delivery List”. But just now I noticed my VIN # is gone. Should be worried?
Yup its a thing... Teslarati did an article on it and I posted a tweet to Elon on twitter (no response yet)

Basically from what I can piece together from my SA and others that have had it happen to them is since your car was not going to arrive to you for your delivery date they look to see if they can deliver it to someone else and get it done for Q2 cutoff. If the answer is yes, they pull the VIN from you and assign it to this new customer to ensure they get another Q2 delivery in the books.

Tweet to Elon I'd suggest posting a response on the tweet the its happened to you as well and hopefully we will get some acknowledgment from him...

Teslarati Article

Reactions: PatrickTM
Yup its a thing... Teslarati did an article on it and I posted a tweet to Elon on twitter (no response yet)

Basically from what I can piece together from my SA and others that have had it happen to them is since your car was not going to arrive to you for your delivery date they look to see if they can deliver it to someone else and get it done for Q2 cutoff. If the answer is yes, they pull the VIN from you and assign it to this new customer to ensure they get another Q2 delivery in the books.

Tweet to Elon I'd suggest posting a response on the tweet the its happened to you as well and hopefully we will get some acknowledgment from him...

Teslarati Article
I am not on twitter so I can't comment on your tweet but I had close to the same thing happen to me. Except I am a West Coast delivery (San Jose, CA) and I already paid for the car in full. So it seems Tesla will take the revenue and I have no update on when I will get a car (moved from June 28-30 to August after my VIN was removed and I paid for the car).

I am not on twitter so I can't comment on your tweet but I had close to the same thing happen to me. Except I am a West Coast delivery (San Jose, CA) and I already paid for the car in full. So it seems Tesla will take the revenue and I have no update on when I will get a car (moved from June 28-30 to August after my VIN was removed and I paid for the car).
Ouch dude...

Yeah I was intentionally not paying for the car until I inspected it as another guy in the delivery times thread had that happen to him and it took him like 3 weeks to get the money back.

My EDD says September now but my SA has assured me that its not correct and I should be getting my delivery by the middle of July. 🤞🏻that it all goes correctly this time. I am seriously demoralized with the whole thing at this point.

Ouch dude...

Yeah I was intentionally not paying for the car until I inspected it as another guy in the delivery times thread had that happen to him and it took him like 3 weeks to get the money back.

My EDD says September now but my SA has assured me that its not correct and I should be getting my delivery by the middle of July. 🤞🏻that it all goes correctly this time. I am seriously demoralized with the whole thing at this point.
We all are.

I’m curious about this as we randomly decided to test drive a Y. Upon driving we decided to purchase and our SC had 2 in stock at the configuration we wanted. I checked online at the time and they didn’t show up as available inventory. Is this normal (meaning SCs have unlisted stock), or did we just get lucky? We did all the paperwork and drove our Y home the same day.

Reactions: bet_america
I ordered 2 weeks before Q2 end of quarter expecting car to come sometime in q3 or even q4 since I ordered late.

Ended up getting matched to VIN in 3 days and delivery notice in 5 days.

My friend back home in the midwest ordered before me, given that it was not identical specs to mine had waited a month longer to get his.

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Reactions: Schulz1983

Teslarati Article

this just happened to me today. Was scheduled to pickup from Burbank tomorrow at 330pm and just got a call from Tesla saying my vin was preemptively placed and the vehicle “was not ready” (he changed his reason 3x on the call)

I leave Sunday morning for a 2 week work/family trip and am just beyond frustrated, especially with less than 24 hours notice on this.

Had a delivery date, but Tesla cancelled 3 days before. I called & was told my car delivery was delayed, but that I was put on “Priority Delivery List”. But just now I noticed my VIN # is gone. Should be worried?

Put it this way. The exact same thing happened to me back in mid-March when I was days out from taking delivery.

I had received the VIN and even paid the ACH payment for my delivery that upcoming weekend. On Friday before my delivery day, I noticed the VIN was gone from my account and shortly after the Delivery Center called me up saying that my car is no longer available, and couldn't give me a reason why but basically I would be put back into the queue and matched with a car real soon. This was 3 months ago and still nothing.

Never heard from a SA and still haven't regarding this. No apology or explanation except that my VIN was "no longer available" whatever that means.... probably sold the car to another person. Out of the blue, Tesla refunded my ACH payment the following week without my asking for it, which kind of tells me that I'm now back in the waiting queue for another build. Right now my EDD says mid-late August, so if that's when I can actually take delivery of the car then it'll have been 6 months later since I placed the order (2 quarters later).

Yeah it's a thing--happened to me as well, and basic explanation from SA was it wouldn't get to MN in time for end of quarter, so they unassigned it. The priority list thing is garbage IMHO, as my EDD has jumped all over the place since then (though held steady the past 3 days).
Just had VIN assigned to me Sunday with delivery 6/30 on a Black on Black w/20" rims. I paid ACH, setup insurance, executed my contract and upon logging in today my VIN is gone and my EDD is September.

I reached out to Burbank who informed me there was some unforeseen changes/issues at the factory and my VIN is gone. Honestly it was a pretty absurd answer.

After being on a brief hold, I was told that my car was on priority and I should be assigned a VIN tonight with the potential for a delivery maybe tomorrow night or later this week.

All in all this has left a very unpleasant taste in my mouth. The entire experience has left a lot to be desired.

To be honest this is a clear breach of contract, at least in my case.

When I'm assigned a VIN, given a specific delivery date and execute my contract they can't reassign my VIN. That's precisely what happened.

I'll give them through tonight to make this right but I've never seen anything like this. Piss poor.

You can see from posts above that the same happened to me. Had VIN assigned 3 weeks ago, one month after ordering my MY. Delivery set for last Monday. No call, but noticed on the app on Friday that appointment was gone, replaced but delivery date Jul 20-Aug 8. Two days later no VIN. I called & was told car would not make Monday, but I’m on “Priority List”. (I’ll bet they say that to all the girls.). I called today and was told my old VIN does not exist, meaning the car was never manufactured. = What? It popped up on USAAs website when I entered with exact specs. So, where did it go? Regardless, he said my new MY will arrive at distribution center July 25. Does anyone here think my mistrust of that date is unreasonable? Like many here I paid in full via Plaid ACH.

Reactions: und2000
I just got my VIN changed today as well. I paid in full in early June and had original delivery date right after payment. Then it was a series of delays with no communication from Tesla except a call informing another delay due to some lame excuse. Durinng one of those calls I was assured that my original VIN is there onsite and they just need to quality checks.

I don't think you can trust the date, I don't even think you can trust the people.

I’m curious about this as we randomly decided to test drive a Y. Upon driving we decided to purchase and our SC had 2 in stock at the configuration we wanted. I checked online at the time and they didn’t show up as available inventory. Is this normal (meaning SCs have unlisted stock), or did we just get lucky? We did all the paperwork and drove our Y home the same day.
Maybe they just gave away someone else’s Y. 😇

• Funny
Reactions: digitalboi
You can see from posts above that the same happened to me. Had VIN assigned 3 weeks ago, one month after ordering my MY. Delivery set for last Monday. No call, but noticed on the app on Friday that appointment was gone, replaced but delivery date Jul 20-Aug 8. Two days later no VIN. I called & was told car would not make Monday, but I’m on “Priority List”. (I’ll bet they say that to all the girls.). I called today and was told my old VIN does not exist, meaning the car was never manufactured. = What? It popped up on USAAs website when I entered with exact specs. So, where did it go? Regardless, he said my new MY will arrive at distribution center July 25. Does anyone here think my mistrust of that date is unreasonable? Like many here I paid in full via Plaid ACH.
I’m really curious about the priority list—agree it is a standard line given to everybody, but since that “list” sets you back about a month, that would imply that there are at least 10-20,000 people in that line? Did they really assign/unassigned that many VINs? It just doesn’t add up.

Saga continues. Got a new VIN today, 255xxx, but delivery now states “September”. That’s quite a story. Given a VIN in May, hard pickup appointment set for 1pm,June 10, Tesla cancelled Jun 7. Three days later VIN, a 218, disappeared & now I’m moved to September.
Yeah got a VIN myself same series and EDD of September... called the SC and they aren't able to give me any info at all and all they could say is that if I have a VIN then September for an EDD sounds unlikely... 🙄

Hopefully in my later attempts they will give me more information and I won't get the "we can't GPS your car still" line I got last go-around...