Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot for the life of me decide an exterior/interior combination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to say I’m still so definite on the white exterior (after seeing them irl) but I still don’t know about the interior.

See I’m heavily considering white. But also black feels safer?

I don’t wear jeans all the time but I don’t want to have to worry about what I wear in the car. I also eat food in the car so a bit worried about that. How does the white hold up in that regard? Easily wipeable with wipes?

And the white dash strip kind of gave me a headache (although I’m super stressed rn with work, so can’t tell if it just amplified the effect). Not sure if the white seats can reflect on the windows harming visibility.

Tomorrow I’m going to test drive the model Y since I wanted to see what driving and day to day would feel like in white (the only white car They had was a Y, I assume the experience is almost the same).

I also really like black because it contrasts well with white and I wouldn’t have to worry about cleaning it as much.

I have OCD, so worried white would amplify that but I admit it looks so good and clean. Reminds me of marshmallows haha.

But also black feels safer?

I don’t want to have to worry about what I wear in the car.

And the white dash strip kind of gave me a headache [...]

I wouldn’t have to worry about cleaning it as much.

I have OCD, so worried white would amplify that [...]

Definitely get black. If you don't like the wood details (I personally dislike them), there's a couple of options for covering them (vinyl, plastic overlays - black, CF)

I had this same dilemma - was always going to get the black interior but couldn't decide between the White and MSM exterior. Ended up with MSM and I'm very happy with it - less common than white and it looks much more elegant with the darker (non-chrome) trim and Uberturbines.

Reactions: ss71
What…nobody here likes a black car? I put PPF in forward facing paint as well as foot wells, etc, then ceramic coated the whole thing. I get the ceramic professionally refreshed every 4 - 6 months.

I found a non recycled water drive thru car wash, and signed up for their unlimited plan. I go thru the wash at least once a week. Don’t bother educating me on the “soft” Tesla paint - I’m well aware. But nothing pops like a shiny black car, and there is zero chance I’ll spend the time hand washing, so I choose instead to get the paint protection and keep the car pretty spotless. And it def sparks joy for me every day! 😎

Here’s a photo. I know the bat mobile look is not everybody’s cup of tea, and I was a little concerned about that myself at first. But I’ve grown to love it, and it’s definitely a little different than all the othe M3s out there. I have an hour commute each way, and the bright fishbowl of the M3 cabin is too much for me. Ive always gotten dark tinted Windows not for aesthetics but for eye strain relief. It was my wife’s idea to get the calipers coated red.

Attachments

• 634A645E-8168-4122-8253-02EE586AD15B.jpeg
    634A645E-8168-4122-8253-02EE586AD15B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 460
I went for black interior because I know I wont be able to keep up with keeping the white pristine .. and I felt black would be easier to sell later for the same reason. A number of people here have said that the white stays white for them, but I suspect they also polish their cars once a week come rain or shine.
Nope! I wipe my seats down at most every 3-4 months. No special fluids or care...just a wet rag...seats still look like new.

• Informative
Reactions: drtimhill
My M3 is white on white. I bought it before white exterior was the free color so I paid for both. White and red were actually the most expansive colors at the time. It looks really sharp and you could tell it apart from all the other whites out there. I would say about 5% of the white M3 out there got white interior. If I get to choose another color combo again right now, I would probably switch to MSM exterior and white interior. Every time I see one of those, I like how great that combo looks. Black ext/white int looks great too but I would never buy a black ext car as it is impossible to kept looking clean here in SoCal with all the dust on the freeway.

What…nobody here likes a black car? I put PPF in forward facing paint as well as foot wells, etc, then ceramic coated the whole thing. I get the ceramic professionally refreshed every 4 - 6 months.

I found a non recycled water drive thru car wash, and signed up for their unlimited plan. I go thru the wash at least once a week. Don’t bother educating me on the “soft” Tesla paint - I’m well aware. But nothing pops like a shiny black car, and there is zero chance I’ll spend the time hand washing, so I choose instead to get the paint protection and keep the car pretty spotless. And it def sparks joy for me every day! 😎

Here’s a photo. I know the bat mobile look is not everybody’s cup of tea, and I was a little concerned about that myself at first. But I’ve grown to love it, and it’s definitely a little different than all the othe M3s out there. I have an hour commute each way, and the bright fishbowl of the M3 cabin is too much for me. Ive always gotten dark tinted Windows not for aesthetics but for eye strain relief. It was my wife’s idea to get the calipers coated red.
That is one sweet ride. Love the red calipers.

Definitely get black. If you don't like the wood details (I personally dislike them), there's a couple of options for covering them (vinyl, plastic overlays - black, CF)
I actually kinda dig the wood haha. I think I would get white interior if it didn’t have the white dash. It’s too bright. Maybe I should do that, but I just got notified I got a VIN with the white/black interior so idk if I should change it

One thing I noticed on my test drive (that put me off white) was that the white strip reflects a lot in the various windows, and I found it distracting during driving (though I suspect after a while you get used to this and dont notice it.

Reactions: markc2
I actually kinda dig the wood haha. I think I would get white interior if it didn’t have the white dash. It’s too bright. Maybe I should do that, but I just got notified I got a VIN with the white/black interior so idk if I should change it

Heck, stick with what you have coming, and if you like the wood, that's even better.

Like I said, I'm not super OCD-ish, but I like to keep things pretty nice - but I'm also in a great position to not have to worry too much about the white:

- low usage (4-6K miles a year)
- 2 adults, 1 very conscientious 13 year old, no "in car" pets
- Florida, so no snow, garaged 90-95% of the time
- work from home so very controlled use (like I wouldn't go surfing and jump in the car, I'd take the Jeep or just walk over :D)

Heck, stick with what you have coming, and if you like the wood, that's even better.

Like I said, I'm not super OCD-ish, but I like to keep things pretty nice - but I'm also in a great position to not have to worry too much about the white:

- low usage (4-6K miles a year)
- 2 adults, 1 very conscientious 13 year old, no "in car" pets
- Florida, so no snow, garaged 90-95% of the time
- work from home so very controlled use (like I wouldn't go surfing and jump in the car, I'd take the Jeep or just walk over :D)
You have the white seats or black? Confused

I like both red and white for the exterior color.
My question is, which color is least likely to have factory paint issues?
I'd assume white, because the red is a multi-coat process (more potential for things to go wrong.)
I don't know about the current white, but my white was also multi-coat. At the time when my car was delivered (2018), there were quite a few issues with white model 3's bumper color not matching the body color. Mine was fine though.