Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't connect to Wi-Fi with long WPA2 password?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX100 has the new Intel MCU. I've had it for 2 weeks now.

For the first week Wi-Fi wasn't working at all - it was stuck on "Initializing..." - when the early-April update came people reported that it fixed Wi-Fi issues they were having but it did nothing for me. The new update that came out a few days ago did fix my car's Wi-Fi to the point where it initializes okay and lists the wireless networks around my home but I'm unable to connect to my own network - and I wonder if it's because my home network has a long (~25 character) password.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Same issue here. MXP100D, new mcu. I'm entering my wifi password correctly, but it keeps saying to check password. I'm also unable to do the scrollwheel reset that everyone talks about. Have you tried to reset the mcu?

Same issue here. MXP100D, new mcu. I'm entering my wifi password correctly, but it keeps saying to check password. I'm also unable to do the scrollwheel reset that everyone talks about. Have you tried to reset the mcu?

Also, I'm on v8.1 2018.12. I tried two different WiFi routers, even tried setting one up with a simple password (8 characters). No dice.

I use a very long all lowercase and numeric password. No issues. It may be any special characters you have and/or the 5 GHz.

If it’s the MCU2, that’s another problem and you may need to wait for 2018.14 to be re-realized if you don’t already have it.

I have a MS w/ new MCU w/ 2018.14.

I can connect to my 2.4ghz network, BUT NOT my 5ghz network. Same SSID. Same password.

Have you tried adding another SSID and forcing 2.4?

I have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks using the same SSID for easier roaming in the house. I could experiment, I admit.

Tomorrow I'll try with my iPhone's Hotspot and see if it can connect to that at least.

My MX100 has the new Intel MCU. I've had it for 2 weeks now.

For the first week Wi-Fi wasn't working at all - it was stuck on "Initializing..." - when the early-April update came people reported that it fixed Wi-Fi issues they were having but it did nothing for me. The new update that came out a few days ago did fix my car's Wi-Fi to the point where it initializes okay and lists the wireless networks around my home but I'm unable to connect to my own network - and I wonder if it's because my home network has a long (~25 character) password.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I had that problem with our S’s. We use a long pass phrase for the main network. Set up a separate network for the cars with a simpler shorter pass, which worked.

When 2018.14 came out I was able to connect to my home wifi. It'd prompt you the password again saying can't connect/wrong password. I just had to enter it again and it connected on the 2nd try. I did not have a wrong password on the first try. The same thing happened at my in-law house where i had to connect twice to get it connected.