Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between SR+ and MR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current LR Model 3 owner - my husband is the primary driver as he has a longer commute.

My car is a Santa Fe. Originally the plan was to keep it for another year or two, waiting for the Y, but it turns out I'm not sold on it after the reveal. But as many in this forum can attest to, the Tesla has frankly ruined the driving experience for anything else so the 3 has become the primary driving for everything. We're on track to put 20k miles on in one year :x

We're ready to sell the Santa Fe for a second 3 but I can't decide which one! I was ready for the SR+ but the audio streaming and Homelink are some of the features I would miss the most. On the other hand, the MR is a bit more than I wanted to spend and is more mileage than we need for a second car. But then again, this car is replacing one that doesn't have those features anyway...can you tell I'm torn? Haha.

Since Tesla's cost savings seem to be primarily software based - I don't understand why there isn't a SR PUP. I guess that would bring it close to the cost of the MR though?

Curious if others were also debating between the two and what ended up being a deciding factor for you? Looking to purchase this weekend to take advantage of the pricing before Monday.

Reactions: IdaX
Current LR Model 3 owner - my husband is the primary driver as he has a longer commute.

My car is a Santa Fe. Originally the plan was to keep it for another year or two, waiting for the Y, but it turns out I'm not sold on it after the reveal. But as many in this forum can attest to, the Tesla has frankly ruined the driving experience for anything else so the 3 has become the primary driving for everything. We're on track to put 20k miles on in one year :x

We're ready to sell the Santa Fe for a second 3 but I can't decide which one! I was ready for the SR+ but the audio streaming and Homelink are some of the features I would miss the most. On the other hand, the MR is a bit more than I wanted to spend and is more mileage than we need for a second car. But then again, this car is replacing one that doesn't have those features anyway...can you tell I'm torn? Haha.

Since Tesla's cost savings seem to be primarily software based - I don't understand why there isn't a SR PUP. I guess that would bring it close to the cost of the MR though?

Curious if others were also debating between the two and what ended up being a deciding factor for you? Looking to purchase this weekend to take advantage of the pricing before Monday.
I’m not sure where you are located and how picky you are with the color but you might be able to get the mid range at the sr+ price for an inventory car. They are trying to push them out with discounts.

This was our situation as well. We have a LW RWD and jumped on the SR+ recently since like you, this would just be a commuter car. We put an order in for the SR+, but we were able to get upgraded to the MR+ (but 2018 model) for a little bit more. We haven't picked it up yet, but I hope it's not a reject from someone else that has paint or alignment issues or worse. SR+ would have been more than enough for us though.

Last edited:
This was our situation as well. We have a LW RWD. We jumped on the SR+ recently since like you, this would just be a commuter car. We put an order in for the SR+, but we were able to get upgraded to the MR+ (but 2018 model) for a little bit more. We have picked it up yet, but I hope it's not a reject from someone else that has paint or alignment issues or worse. SR+ would have been more than enough for us though.
Cool - did you call to upgrade or did Tesla call you? I saw a Reddit thread too, indicating folks are being offered the MR upgrade.

Cool - did you call to upgrade or did Tesla call you? I saw a Reddit thread too, indicating folks are being offered the MR upgrade.
We stopped by a store, but the person we talked to was not helpful at all and tried to sell us the MR 2018 for the same price as if we ordered a new one online. Then we called another store and the guy I talked to offered us the discounted 2018 right away. I think it just depends who you talk to. I also heard that these discounts were easier to get on the west coast...but I'm not sure if that is true or not.

We stopped by a store, but the person we talked to was not helpful at all and tried to sell us the MR 2018 for the same price as if we ordered a new one online. Then we called another store and the guy I talked to offered us the discounted 2018 right away. I think it just depends who you talk to. I also heard that these discounts were easier to get on the west coast...but I'm not sure if that is true or not.
Thanks! Location could definitely be a part of it. NH doesn't have any stores so I have the complication of home delivery to toss in, but it's worth at least calling to see.

Don't think you can go wrong with either. All the Model 3 trims are excellent values at current prices and don't think you can go wrong with either. Since you have had an LR you can appreciate the newer pricing for the Models. Prices are expected to go up 3% on monday and AP prices could go up too, I think its great time to buy this weekend to lock in the prices. I would encourage you to contact a rep and get an inventory MR, they might throw in free wheel upgrade or color from what I have been hearing. I think that would make the MR the better pick over the SR+ which doesn't have the homelink and lesser audio. The 3k difference over the life of the car isnt huge and you might as get the better car. With the rebate and tax credits and alleged increase in price I truly think this may be the absolute best time to get the 3, I would be shocked to be proved wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
As is the case with most Tesla communications, this is probably based on who you get on the line. Called the main sales line and didn't offer any incentives for a MR and wasn't aware of any special pricing.

I might try ordering the SR+ tonight and see if we get a call by tomorrow, and adjust to the MR if not.

It depends on how far you are expecting to travel in it. If it is a second car, then there's not a huge need for the extra range. My Leaf, at 150 mile range is more than needed for my commuting. 200 on the SR would be overkill.
As to Krugerrand's command about worry about the resale and battery degradation, first, there hasn't been much battery degradation in the newer batteries, and second, the range is still a lot more than most other EVs on the road

In my opinion, the SR+ and LR(rwd) offer the best value at current prices.
Yes, and on another thread someone was able to quote/link to where on the Tesla site it specifies that M3 owners will be able to upgrade to premium connectivity some time this year - which won't give me Homelink, but not a big deal. The streaming audio is what I wanted so that seals the deal for me....unless of course I get a call for a free upgrade to MR ;)

Reactions: danny
Yes, and on another thread someone was able to quote/link to where on the Tesla site it specifies that M3 owners will be able to upgrade to premium connectivity some time this year - which won't give me Homelink, but not a big deal. The streaming audio is what I wanted so that seals the deal for me....unless of course I get a call for a free upgrade to MR ;)

Might be that PUP gets free internet connectivity while the others will have paid subscription. In that case go with LR PUP or MR PUP if you want internet audio streaming. If they give any sort of perk like color or wheel or inventory adjusted price I think that is the better move. Range might be overkill but better to have it just in case and if you plan to sell in under 10 years you will have easier time getting someone to purchase it.

Was in the same predicament!

Wife has driven a LR3 since release last year. I have had car envy ever since but we decided to wait for the Y unveil. While we like the idea and look of it, we do not want to wait 2 years.
So I reserved a SR+ tonight and ecstatic as I spoiled myself a little with the white interior (hers is black?) and the sport wheels.
2-4 weeks but I expect longer which is ok in my book to secure financing/sell my current car.

As is the case with most Tesla communications, this is probably based on who you get on the line. Called the main sales line and didn't offer any incentives for a MR and wasn't aware of any special pricing.

I might try ordering the SR+ tonight and see if we get a call by tomorrow, and adjust to the MR if not.

FWIW, I placed an order for an MR on Thursday. Today (Saturday) I got a call from the salesperson who provided my test drive. She said she'd found an LR AWD nearby that had been a test-drive car for $1420 more than the MR price. I ultimately declined that offer, although it was tempting. (AWD is a wash for me, given its advantages and disadvantages, leaving range as the big advantage to me, and I don't think I need 310 miles of range. The test-drive car had 1,000 miles on it and was built at least six months ago. I'm sure somebody will appreciate the bargain, though.)

Anyhow, the point of this is that you may need to ask specifically about test-drive or showroom cars, not simply inventory cars. As I understand it, Tesla is now selling many (most?) of its MR and better Model 3s from inventory, and AFAIK they don't discount those. It's the ones that had been displayed in showrooms and/or used for test drives that get the discounts -- and if the offer I received today is any indication, they can be significant, albeit with the downside of potentially lots of mileage on them already. You might also need to compromise on colors, wheels, or battery/drivetrain options.