Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my weird suituation.
Placed an order on 03/02 RWD w/FSD for midnight silver totalling $52.5k. on 04/29 went to the store to chat with a rep and he suggested cancelling the order and placing it again. But I clearly said 'NO'. However he went ahead and cancelled my order. With him sitting next to me and promising I placed another order for LR AWD w/FSD midnight silver totalling $56.5k on 05/03. He said he will through in the paint and FSD increase ($1k) for free totalling $54.5k. I just got my delivery date, here are few questions.
1. I don't see any changes on my order yet it still says $56.5k
2. If he gives it to me for 54.5k should I take it or go for RWD for $52.5k(I am more concerned about range than money)
3. He was trying to sell me a LR RWD black on black for $51.5k which is $500 more than my original order. (My paint at that time was $1500) which I said no.
4.I am losing trust in him, should I escalate it to their managers? I don't wan to over pay but also dont want to wait for eternity to get the car.

...trust...

What counts is the prices on the paperwork, not just verbal reassurances.

That goes with any company and not just Tesla.

You can also go to a manager but if the prices are not reflected on the paperwork, it means nothing!

A worker can promise you the moon but that worker might be laid off tomorrow so where's the paperwork that says the moon is included?

That is why Tesla tried to shut down all stores so you can get the same price shown on your web page and not different prices from different times that you talk to a Tesla worker.

Last edited:
If the sales rep offered you a discount it should have shown up on your order summary by now. I think you are going to have to ask him where the discount is. Salespeople don’t generally have the authority to offer these kinds of discounts without getting a manager involved so it’s hard for us to know what was really going on. I think you are going to have to speak to him to find out what his intentions are.

Which car do you really want though? RWD or AWD?

If the sales rep offered you a discount it should have shown up on your order summary by now. I think you are going to have to ask him where the discount is. Salespeople don’t generally have the authority to offer these kinds of discounts without getting a manager involved so it’s hard for us to know what was really going on. I think you are going to have to speak to him to find out what his intentions are.

Which car do you really want though? RWD or AWD?
I think I am going with AWD just for the resale value. Unless they give me an extraordinary price adjustment on RWD.

He is a nice guy, I didn't want him to get into trouble. I might have to walk in to when the manager is around.

What counts is the prices on the paperwork, not just verbal reassurances.

That goes with any company and not just Tesla.

You can also go to a manager but if the prices are not reflected on the paperwork, it means nothing!

A worker can promise you the moon but that worker might be lay off tomorrow so where's the paper work that says the moon is included?

That is why Tesla tried to shut down all stores so you can get the same price shown on your web page and not different prices from different times that you talk to a Tesla worker.
True that. I didn't want him to get into trouble.. but I think I am at a point I should make some noise.

Now that you have a delivery date, you need paperwork showing the correct price. They wouldn’t update mine until I got the date, but then did it (I had to call three times before it showed on both account screen and MVPA, but it did get done). So it doesn’t surprise me that they didn’t act until now.

So I would call your guy now and say hey, I got the date, now I need you to put the price fix on my account and MVPA like we agreed. If he gives you trouble or delays further, I’d go to the manager.

Now that you have a delivery date, you need paperwork showing the correct price. They wouldn’t update mine until I got the date, but then did it (I had to call three times before it showed on both account screen and MVPA, but it did get done). So it doesn’t surprise me that they didn’t act until now.

So I would call your guy now and say hey, I got the date, now I need you to put the price fix on my account and MVPA like we agreed. If he gives you trouble or delays further, I’d go to the manager.
I went and spoke to the sales rep, now he flipped his statement and saying that he never guaranteed them but only suggested them as possibilities. I asked for the manager and he said she is in a conference call with management and would take hours. I need to go back and try with the manager. Any other suggestions?

All I have is the email from him, saying this
“The best way for us to proceed in getting your vehicle to you as soon as possible would be to cancel your order and re-order through the site. We’ll assign a brand new car matching your configuration and should be able to deliver within a couple of weeks at most.”
I never replied to it or called to cancel it, but he did anyways.

I went and spoke to the sales rep, now he flipped his statement and saying that he never guaranteed them but only suggested them as possibilities. I asked for the manager and he said she is in a conference call with management and would take hours. I need to go back and try with the manager. Any other suggestions?

“The best way for us to proceed in getting your vehicle to you as soon as possible would be to cancel your order and re-order through the site. We’ll assign a brand new car matching your configuration and should be able to deliver within a couple of weeks at most.”

Dealing with Tesla salespeople is exhausting. I never believe anything they say.

Have you looked at the new pricing on the LR RWD model? It’s now $45,900 including AP, so it actually went down in price when every other model went up.

The lowest price that Tesla has ever sold a LR RWD for was $43,000 back in March. With AP it would have been $46K, so this is $100 below the lowest price ever. If you can give up the AWD option it’s actually a very good deal.

I thought the Tesla pricing model was supposed to be simpler than traditional car buying methods but I find this more confusing and harder to follow. On menu, off menu, hidden configurations, weekly price fluctuations, etc. Does it really need to change this frequently?

Reactions: Danny Brown
I too found it difficult to choose. I looked hard at the LR RWD (priced at 47500 previously) but being only $2k diff in price between it and the AWD both with AP, I just could stomach not moving to AWD and that ended up being more than I wanted to spend so I moved down to the SR+ model.

Now with the current pricing, it's a no-brainier IMHO. The diff between SR+ and now the LR RWD isn't cheap ($6400), but not much more than premium packages/trims on other cars and it makes it more likely to be a viable useful car with better resale in 6-8 years than a 240 mile version. It'll add ~$106 per month to a 60 month loan.

All right, so, obviously I don't know the specifics of your situation and the people involved, but:
  • The "I have to get my manager's approval" move is out of Car Sales 101. If they want to do the thing, they'll come back and say it was a special exception and reluctantly approved. If they don't want to do the thing, the manager will be unavailable. Obviously they want the extra $2000 today so the manager is unavailable. You have to work around this.
  • It's going to be tough if you and the sales guy both get angry. Then nobody's going to want to give an inch. The paperwork is presently in his favor, and (as far as I can tell) you don't have a written offer/guarantee on the price you want.
  • But the bottom line is, you want the car, and he wants to sell a car. Best case is probably to forget about who did what and whose fault it is and start there. If possible, shift the blame onto some unknown third party and make your sales guy the hero for fixing it.
  • I would have another talk with the sales guy, as calm and friendly as you can manage, and say something along the lines of, "When we talked before, we talked about [Configuration A] for [Price B]. That's really what I'm interested in. Everything sounded great, and I agreed to buy that car for that price. But right now, there's some kind of problem on the back end and that's not the price I'm seeing on my account. That's kind of a showstopper. It would be awesome if someone could help me out and fix the problem with my order so that it shows [Price B] for [Configuration A] like we first talked about. Then I'll be happy to move forward with this."
  • If he still goes back to the manager thing, I wouldn't take "unavailable" for an answer. "Listen, just tell the manager you need 5 seconds of his or her time to close a deal and sell a car. They'll be back to the conference call in a jiffy. You know how dull those calls are, anyway."