Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Edit Time Based Control times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm about to change to a Time of Use tariff and have started looking at the settings in the app for Time Based Control. For some reason,I have no button to edit the times.

I'm guessing this is as my PW2 is part of a VPP - and the setting is locked out, but the times in the app don't match the times of the wholesaler (SAPN).

Any thoughts? Screenshot below is from the app.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

• 2021-11-30 14.58.44.jpg
    2021-11-30 14.58.44.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 127
OK - my energy provider (AGL) directed me to Tesla Support. I called Tesla Support, they said it's becuase I'm on a VPP, and to talk to my energy provider :(
What version of the app do you have? Click on the user icon on the top right then scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the app version below the "Sign Out" option. You need to have at least 4.0, my version is 4.3.0-766. When this was first rolled out it was being selectively enabled for users, but I don't know if that is still true.

As I suspected, your situation is specific to the Australian VPP.
By the way, was your Powerwall installation cost subsidized contingent on VPP participation?
Yeah it was. At my home, the battery is part of a VPP trial - the penalty to leave the VPP is very high - it started at $5000 and very slowly reduces over 5 years. We're currently about half way through the 5 year period.

At our holiday house, the main subsidy was from the state government - There was a $1000 discount from the energy provider towards the battery - if I leave before 5 years, the 'discount' has to be paid back, but it reduces by $200 each year I stay with them.

I heard back from the energy provider today, they're claiming that magically when my tariff changes to Time of Use, the app setting will become available, but meanwhile they will followup with Tesla.

What version of the app do you have? Click on the user icon on the top right then scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the app version below the "Sign Out" option. You need to have at least 4.0, my version is 4.3.0-766. When this was first rolled out it was being selectively enabled for users, but I don't know if that is still true.
The Android app version is 4.3.0-766. I also tried it on my Apple work phone and it didn't work there either.

Have you tried going to "Impact", select the option of the rates (Estimate based on), there you should have the option to "Save" or "Start Over", click on "Start Over" and finish the provider and rate selection or configuration. Then go back to setting and check if you see any difference, the color of your rate schedule bar appears to be from the old version of the app, I used to have that but once I did the "Start over" it turns to green and orange.

Reactions: Paul Smedley
Have you tried going to "Impact", select the option of the rates (Estimate based on), there you should have the option to "Save" or "Start Over", click on "Start Over" and finish the provider and rate selection or configuration. Then go back to setting and check if you see any difference, the color of your rate schedule bar appears to be from the old version of the app, I used to have that but once I did the "Start over" it turns to green and orange.
Attached is the screenshot from 'Impact' - noting about rates there either :(

Attachments

• 2021-12-05 18.29.27.jpg
    2021-12-05 18.29.27.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 81
Just an update on this - I've been in touch with Tesla, and on December 10th they agreed to raise a ticket to at least update the times to match my Power distributors network.

On December 22nd, I got an email from Powerwall support stating "You should have time based control features in the app. Please reach out to us if you find that you do not have the feature." - of course, I still don't have access to edit the time based control features in the app :(

Did you get this sorted @Paul Smedley ? I am in the same situation as you, except I have now left AGL to go to Origin. The only plan options in the app are for a single rate plane, even though I am on a TOU plan with Origin. Tesla says they can't help me at all until my Energy Provider releases me from the VPP.