Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't refer for a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
Owning a Model S, I have a referral link. My wife tried to use it to order a Model Y, but the page it sends you to only has options to order the S, X, and 3 (and solar). There's no option to put in a reservation for a Y as a referral.

I thought referrals worked for the Y? Has something changed?

I don't think we ever had referral credits for reservations. Orders, yes, but not reservations. And it makes sense when you think about it. Give you compensation for something you could cash in before they get the money for the referred product? I don't think so. The reservation holder could request a return of the deposit after you received your reward. How would they get you to return the reward.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't think we ever had referral credits for reservations. Orders, yes, but not reservations. And it makes sense when you think about it. Give you compensation for something you could cash in before they get the money for the referred product? I don't think so. The reservation holder could request a return of the deposit after you received your reward. How would they get you to return the reward.

So would we get the option to add the referral after the order is processed? My wife put in an order for one (submitted $2500 down payment), but didn't see a referral input field either. Besides I thought the referral credit doesn't apply until delivery has been accepted?

You have not made a binding order. Only a reservation. Isn’t your reservation refundable?

That seems more a difference of semantics, since we're at the same point with the model Y (interior options, paint, wheels, autopilot, etc selected, with subtotal known), as we were with my model 3 order (AFTER my reservation number came up for ordering) in 2018. The only steps after this is getting assigned a VIN and documentation. Yes we could get a refund, but it's way past being a reservation.

Sorry, but its a reservation until its not a reservation - until Tesla sends you an invitation to order. Way back yonder in good-old 2012, when Tesla was only building a-hunard S or so a week, we had to wait til they sent us our invite to order.

You can’t get a referral on a Model Y reservation. I wouldn’t count on being able to add a referral when you convert your Model Y reservation into an order.

If you want to get the benefits of a referral on a Model Y order, I suspect you’ll need to wait until a lot of the existing reservations have been delivered and then place a brand new order, not just convert a reservation to an order.

You can’t get a referral on a Model Y reservation. I wouldn’t count on being able to add a referral when you convert your Model Y reservation into an order.

If you want to get the benefits of a referral on a Model Y order, I suspect you’ll need to wait until a lot of the existing reservations have been delivered and then place a brand new order, not just convert a reservation to an order.
And I beleive that the referal is activated only after the delivery of the car.

I think you'll be able to once they contact you about the configuration, etc. you can have them put in a referral code at that time. Until then, just have to wait...hopefully soon

If you refer to the "Limits" section of the Tesla Referral program page, you'll see where it clearly states the Model Y is not eligible:

Limits
Related referral orders must be placed on or after October 1, 2019. Cybertruck, Model Y and used vehicle orders are not eligible. New or leased Model S, Model X and Model 3 orders are eligible.

This is interesting. My girlfriend is going to get delivery and she asked her delivery advisor to add my referral code for free supercharging but she was told that the referral code does not apply to the Model Y.

Kinda disappointing.