Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I refer my wife and get the 20k credits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a model Y in January of 22. Now interested in getting a model X for the wife. Might even pay for it in full.

If I purchase myself I get $1000 off the price of the car through the loyalty rewards program.

However if you refer someone and they purchase an X you get 20k credits which is pretty cool. The acceleration boost for my Y is 9500 credits to redeem.

Could I send my wife the referral code and we do the purchase through her? Will they flag that we live in the same address and deny the credits?

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering the same thing. If you read the referral fine print, it mentions using address info to determine eligibility. I think worse case is you won’t get the credits (but still the discount) but ymmv. It depends if they have some automated way to check all the details, how strict they are, etc.

Just note that the buyer needs to be a first-time Tesla customer to get the credits, as per the rules:

If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for the cash awards and exclusive referral benefits for buyers, nor will the referrer qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns loyalty benefits.

Just note that the buyer needs to be a first-time Tesla customer to get the credits, as per the rules:

If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for the cash awards and exclusive referral benefits for buyers, nor will the referrer qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns loyalty benefits.
It still isn’t clear. What makes someone a tesla customer?

What I am proposing is not an existing owner purchasing a new tesla. Its the wife of an existing owner purchasing a new tesla. Right now I am the tesla customer. Not her. If I send her a referral link and she buys a new tesla then she would become a tesla customer.

It still isn’t clear. What makes someone a tesla customer?

What I am proposing is not an existing owner purchasing a new tesla. Its the wife of an existing owner purchasing a new tesla. Right now I am the tesla customer. Not her. If I send her a referral link and she buys a new tesla then she would become a tesla customer.
Keep us updated if this works. Our tesla is in my name but i'm planning on buying another in my wife's name and using a referral to get 10k credits.

I’m looking at referring my wife, who does not yet have a tesla account, to get both referral credits and buyer bonuses. However, we’re looking to add a second owner (me) onto the MVPA and registration for California CVRP incentives, which would require including my existing Tesla email. Do y’all have any experience on whether that would trigger a flag for just one reward?