Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cant remove old phones ( in locks) so I cant add new ones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KMCC

Supporting Member
Jul 18, 2019
Ct
I have let so many people try my model 3 that now the phones installed are at the limit, and my wife cant add hers.
Here is what happens:

1. I go to "locks"
2. Along side the phone I want to remove is a garbage can ikon I click on that.
3. A screen pops up that says "tap phone key here to remove" ( same as starting the car)
4. When I do that it locks the "tap phone key here" on my screen and does not remove any phone.
5. I then need to reboot the car to get rid of that screen.
Any idea on a fix of this??? Thanks for any thoughts. Ken

I will if I have to, but I live in CT And had to go to NY to buy my tesla. I online chatted with Tesla and they could not figure it out and asked me to send a bug report.

@kenmccann Your post says "tap phone key here" but that doesn't sound correct. You should be tapping a key card, not a phone. I'm assuming that is a mistake on transcribing the message, but it doesn't hut to check.

Just for kicks, you might want to try doing this entire session with a key card. Use the card instead of your phone to unlock the car and start the process.

Reactions: Dana1 and Big Earl
@kenmccann Your post says "tap phone key here" but that doesn't sound correct. You should be tapping a key card, not a phone. I'm assuming that is a mistake on transcribing the message, but it doesn't hut to check.

Just for kicks, you might want to try doing this entire session with a key card. Use the card instead of your phone to unlock the car and start the process.
This is right, you need to use one of your cards to add and authenticate a new phone.
I don't know if you need a card to remove a phone from the list.

I have let so many people try my model 3 that now the phones installed are at the limit, and my wife cant add hers.
Here is what happens:

1. I go to "locks"
2. Along side the phone I want to remove is a garbage can ikon I click on that.
3. A screen pops up that says "tap phone key here to remove" ( same as starting the car)
4. When I do that it locks the "tap phone key here" on my screen and does not remove any phone.
5. I then need to reboot the car to get rid of that screen.
Any idea on a fix of this??? Thanks for any thoughts. Ken

Where are you tapping the card key? Down on the console I assume?

Yes I meant 'tap key card here' thanks

^^ THIS ^^. Yes simply lend them one of your cards. Don't give them the key to the city.
And also they will know where you are going and staying, unless you don't mind sharing part of your private life...

Note: I think by disabling the notification from the car display, you might be able to avoid someone checking your car location,
something that might be useful sometime...

If you do want to let others borrow the car get another account associated with your car. I have 3 email addresses with 3 different Tesla accounts (mine, wife and loaner) associated with our car. If I want to someone to be able to use their phone I give the credentials to the 3rd account. I can easily reset credentials on the 3rd account. My account is the only one with owner status.

In the future I won't let anyone install their phone, but I still habe the problem.
I can't remove all their phones!
when I click on the garbage icon in locks, a message 'two key card to remove" pops up (just like starting the car) and nothing happens and I have to reboot the car to remove the message.

I meant "tap key card to remove" Ken

All key add/remove operations require a key card that is already authenticated to be used to perform the addition/removal, and the key card used for authentication cannot be the one you're adding or removing. This prevents someone from adding or removing a phone or key card without authorization.

To perform the phone key removal procedure, you will need a key card that already works in your vehicle. Once you have that, do the following:

1. Go to the keys screen.
2. Click the trash can icon next to the phone you want to remove.
3. The prompt will come up to "tap key card to remove".
4. Take the authenticated key card and place it flat on the center console behind the two cupholders.
5. Give the car a minute to process.
6. The phone will be removed.

• Informative
Reactions: kelly
This is exactly what I do!
the result is the screen ( tap key card to re move) locks on my screen and does not remove anything. I then have to reboot to use the car.

To perform the phone key removal procedure, you will need a key card that already works in your vehicle. Once you have that, do the following:

1. Go to the keys screen.
2. Click the trash can icon next to the phone you want to remove.
3. The prompt will come up to "tap key card to remove".
4. Take the authenticated key card and place it flat on the center console behind the two cupholders.
5. Give the car a minute to process.
6. The phone will be removed.[/QUOTE]