Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't stop charging via the Tesla mobile app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my Model S, I've recently noticed that the Tesla mobile app won't stop charging the car. The app thinks it is stopping charging, but charging continues unabated. This used to work, but seems to have broken sometime within the last two weeks or so. Coincidentally, I did get a software update around that time frame.

My car is running version 2020.4.1 of the firmware.

I have some code that will use the Tesla API to mimic the behavior of the mobile app. The response we got back from stopping charging was the same as always, indicating success. So that suggests the problem is in Tesla's server code, or with my car.

There is a similar complaint about this with a Model 3 from a few months ago:
Can't stop charging from Tesla app : teslamotors

What is the best mechanism to report this bug to Tesla? The voice-controlled "bug report" feature in the Model S doesn't seem to work right either anymore.

Not sure you should be able to turn off charging. Assuming you are in a public charging station, just get in the car and exit the charging point so someone else can use it. If at home, you can set start/stop times in the app.
The app allows you to choose "stop charging" I have the same issue but only sometimes.
If I press, stop charging and dont wait long enough (10-20 seconds) I cant unlock the charge port form the app either as it still says "cannot unlock charging in operation" sometimes I have to get in the vehicle and do it from the screen

The app allows you to choose "stop charging" I have the same issue but only sometimes.
If I press, stop charging and dont wait long enough (10-20 seconds) I cant unlock the charge port form the app either as it still says "cannot unlock charging in operation" sometimes I have to get in the vehicle and do it from the screen

You just need to set a limit for your charging to what you want to reach. When you approach the car, then press the button on the Tesla charger (w/ car unlocked) or J1172 to disengage.

There is no need to ever press "stop charging". I used it a few times before flipping the circuit breaker, for example.

You can submit bugs via Tesla support, but don't expect too much.

You just need to set a limit for your charging to what you want to reach. When you approach the car, then press the button on the Tesla charger (w/ car unlocked) or J1172 to disengage.

There is no need to ever press "stop charging". I used it a few times before flipping the circuit breaker, for example.

You can submit bugs via Tesla support, but don't expect too much.

The charger at one house shares a circuit with a dryer, at another house it shares the circuit with the welder If someone needs to use either then I need to stop charging. If there truly was no need to ever press the button then it wouldn't exist. We have shared chargers at work, if someone needs more charge one person can stop charging so the other can take on more current.

The charger at one house shares a circuit with a dryer, at another house it shares the circuit with the welder If someone needs to use either then I need to stop charging. If there truly was no need to ever press the button then it wouldn't exist. We have shared chargers at work, if someone needs more charge one person can stop charging so the other can take on more current.

The setup of charging on a shared circuit is very much discouraged and a kind of a "hack" solution. I'll leave it to others to post the technicals of the electrical code or best practice that may apply.

Seeing as the "stop charging" feature is a software disconnect at best, it is not safe to leave the charger plugged in and run a drier or welder.

The setup of charging on a shared circuit is very much discouraged and a kind of a "hack" solution. I'll leave it to others to post the technicals of the electrical code or best practice that may apply.

Seeing as the "stop charging" feature is a software disconnect at best, it is not safe to leave the charger plugged in and run a drier or welder.

Just going to gloss over the other example of a perfectly wired setup using the feature?

*grabs more popcorn* :p
It is true that those are not a good idea sharing those circuits, but it is also true that Chargepoint and some other companies make legitimate commercial EVSE units that dynamically shift the charging current based on which cars are demanding more or less.