Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't use multiple Bluetooth devices (iphone & iPad)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model 3, love the car. But have a question, I am coming from a Ford Fusion, and with the Fusion I could have my iPhone connected as a phone, and also have my iPad connected as a media player device.

Looks like on the Model 3, if I connect my iPad my iPhone will disconnect, and vice versa. The connected device is both phone and media player. Is there a way to separate? I am using my phone as a media player for now, but it is so much nicer to use my iPad.
One thing I have not tried, is answering the phone on my iPad which I can do if my phone is next to it..... I think...

Anyway, if I am correct and only one device can be used, maybe this should be a feature.
Allow the drivers phone to be connected as the phone, but any passenger can connect via bluetooth and play their music.

Suggestions, comments.

Thanks,
Frank

I second this request. Coming from a Subaru Crosstrek, I could connect my phone to make and receive calls in the car, and my daugher could connect her phone to play music. Can't seem to do this in the Model 3 and I really miss not having this feature.

Sadly not and it is a shame particularly as you can't connect a external hard drive and flash drive connection is problematic (format isn't great). For a car manufacturer that does pride itself on its technology and sound system it is way behind the big brands in terms.of connectivity.

Sadly not and it is a shame particularly as you can't connect a external hard drive and flash drive connection is problematic (format isn't great). For a car manufacturer that does pride itself on its technology and sound system it is way behind the big brands in terms.of connectivity.

I have no idea what you are saying here. You picked a thread thats 3 years that was about bluetooth connectivity, but you are talking about connecting drives. You absolutely can connect an external hard drive and flash drive at the same time, using basically any USB hub. I also have no idea what you mean by "the format isnt great", whats wrong with ex_Fat (the format most thumb drives come in, by default)?

So explain why the 5 hard drives and 8 flash drives that work in my X5, my wife's VW Up and my old Q5 as well as countless hire cars I have used as part of my job when abroad are not picked up at all in my 6 week old Model Y?
I have no idea what you are saying here. You picked a thread thats 3 years that was about bluetooth connectivity, but you are talking about connecting drives. You absolutely can connect an external hard drive and flash drive at the same time, using basically any USB hub. I also have no idea what you mean by "the format isnt great", whats wrong with ex_Fat (the format most thumb drives come in, by default)?
Not correct. Exfat isn't default it is FAT32. Also my 6 week old Model Y will only play flashdrives through the glovebox USB which means I can't then record the dash cam footage while playing music. Most model 3 and y's made since November 21 have the usb C's in the centre console for charging only. I was.told by Tesla they couldn't get in the 2 way usb ports due to shortages so it's charge ports only. Pretty poor for a 75k car that is supposed to be the forefront of technology.

Exfat isn't default it is FAT32

1. Ex_fat is the default when formatted using the car, and has been for at least a year. If you are on factory firmware I am unaware of how that might work, but for standard firmware the default has been ex_fat for a long time, at least a year or more

2. Whether the USB ports in the console are data or not has nothing to do with what you said, which is "You cant connect an external hard drive and flash drive". its true that the ports in the console are not data ports in newer cars, but that doesnt stop using a USB hub in the glove compartment should one want to.

3. I have no idea why your USB drives are not being picked up, other than the fact that if you are using them in the console vs the glove compartment, the console doesnt have data so wont pick them up.

4. None of this at all has anything to do with the thread you necro rezzed, which was about Bluetooth devices, and as I mentioned, before your post in it today was over 3 years old.

I do agree that its pretty crappy that tesla took USB data out of the center console, but that doesnt have anything to do with bluetooth connectivity, or using a USB hub in the glove compartment, or the fact that USBs formatted in the car have been Ex_Fat for a while, at least on regular firmware versions.

Last edited:
I can confirm that I also have the same issue that the OP mentioned on my brand new Model Y. You can only have one Bluetooth device running at a time which is poor. Even my 8 year old X5 and my wife's VW Up allow you to run 2 Bluetooth devices at once. This is very poor from Tesla and the fact that you cannot also connect an external media player by USB in addition without informing customers is poor.
My lease company is dealing with my claim regarding the USB issue because at the moment they are looking at the bill for an OEM fit to make the ports actually do what they are advertised to do.

Here is the most extensive of the threads here about USB data ports in model Y. that will give you some information about what people are doing to retrofit that, and perhaps this is what your lease company will pursue.

Thanks. They already have a solution but it means a 250 mile trip to the retrofit company to have it fitted. Interestingly they are the 3rd biggest lease company in the UK and due to issues like this and lead times they have actually taken the Model 3 and Model Y off of their list. It would seem that their supply chain issues are starting to cost them business.