Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car abruptly shifts to park when reversing. Easy Entry issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to my in my S recently and now my hubby in his new 3. Anyone else having this issue? I think it's related to Easy Entry as I was struggling with that feature when it happened to me. I have since deleted the Easy Entry profile and all has been good.

Were you buckled? The car will shift into park if unbuckled and no weight on the driver’s seat when at low speed (or door open, two of three). My wife had it happen once in our X when she was backing up and hadn’t buckled yet. He butt lifted up as she was twisting to get a better view. Car went into park. If you make sure you buckle, shouldn’t be a problem.

Were you buckled? The car will shift into park if unbuckled and no weight on the driver’s seat when at low speed (or door open, two of three). My wife had it happen once in our X when she was backing up and hadn’t buckled yet. He butt lifted up as she was twisting to get a better view. Car went into park. If you make sure you buckle, shouldn’t be a problem.

Twisting to get a better view while backing up?! Rookie mistake. Just look into poor quality reverse camera and floor that pedal.

Last edited:
Twisting to get a better view while backing up?! Rookie mistake. Just look into poor quality reverse camera and floor that pedal.
It’s a 7 seater X with additional aftermarket tint. The rear view camera is worthless between the middle seat headrest, the tiny super raked rear window, and the deep tint. It totally was a rookie mistake. I only use the camera (and side mirrors) for backing up, and it’s amazing. Also for checking blind spots while driving. I feel like our X is pretty good fisheye because I can still see a car in the camera when it comes into the corner of my eye on the side, and I love it. Great quality!

it happens if you lift your butt out of the seat when backing up, even with the seatbelt buckled.
Hmm I’ll have to try that sometime. My wife made me contact service, and I’m almost certain they said it had to be two of the three factors. But it has been a while, and many software updates.

In related news, the driver unbuckling turns off autopilot and cruise control immediately (but does not put it in park like it does when you’re at low speed). Learned that one while on a road trip and I had to grab a thrown sippie for the baby.

• Helpful
Reactions: JenniferQ
Hmm I’ll have to try that sometime. My wife made me contact service, and I’m almost certain they said it had to be two of the three factors. But it has been a while, and many software updates.

In related news, the driver unbuckling turns off autopilot and cruise control immediately (but does not put it in park like it does when you’re at low speed). Learned that one while on a road trip and I had to grab a thrown sippie for the baby.
I played for a few minutes yesterday while waiting for my wife to grab something and I was sitting in the garage. Buckled, butt lifted does not shift to park. Unbuckled, butt lifted does. Unbuckled, butt not lifted, does not. Buckled, butt not lifted, but opening the driver’s door does (single factor. Surprised me a bit). Buckled, butt not lifted, other door opened, does not. I should have tried other door, buckled, butt lifted, but it was time to go.

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ and DR61