TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car alarm.........car alarm?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by M67v, Nov 16, 2014.

1. M67v

M67v #1 Model S fan

I'm not a Tesla owner as of this post (but will hopefully would get one in the future), so I don't know about this completely.

But so far, to me it doesn't look like the Model S has an alarm.:confused:

There is no button on the keyfob, and when one of the show cars in the Tesla store was locked (note that the window was open), I reached in and pulled the interior door handle, and no alarm or anything went off.

So my question is, is there an alarm in the Tesla Model S? If there isn't, I would know to buy an aftermarket alarm system if we hopefully get a Tesla in the future.

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It has an alarm.

3. M67v

M67v #1 Model S fan

Oh, cool.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

And it can be turned on and off via the touchscreen under settings:

Screenshot 2014-11-16 17.10.04.png

So I'm guessing they have it turned off on the cars in the store.

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

And as of the 6.0 release, if you have the iOS app installed, if the alarm is triggered, it will send you a notification.

6. Vip

Vip Member

M67v, just to let you know about the alarm. My wife and I arrived at our location, I got out but my wife stayed in the car as she was finishing up some work. I walked away and totally forgot about the car locking by itself (a nice feature you get use to). Well needless to say I heard the car alarm go off a minute or so later when my wife was trying to get out of the car. She could not unlock or open the door to get out. I had to stop the alarm and unlock the car with the fob.

7. Robrecht

Robrecht Member

That sounds like a big safety issue ...., double pull or something like that didn't work ?

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Good point, but on most modern cars when the car is locked, the doors are dead-bolted, so that a thief reaching through a smashed window cannot just open the door from the inside. If someone is left in the car (without a key), then as far as the car knows, it's empty. The difference being with the Model S, is that the locking happens automatically, so there's less awareness of the consequences. From a software point of view, they could implement a check of the seats (air bag sensors) to see if there appears to be someone left in the car, but then what, it just doesn't lock & arm the alarm?

9. FireLT

FireLT Member

The alarm is there in the car. However, if somebody breaks your window and doesn't open the door, the alarm doesn't go off and you don't get any notifications. (speaking from experience :cursing::mad:) FullSizeRender.jpg

10. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I guess the ultrasonics only really cover the front seats (I think they're up in the microphone cluster?). they've started to appear on the B pillar in some cars, in theory that should then detect the glass break (or at least someone reaching in) around the rear seats, but, it's an old technology, they don't do a good job of detecting a window break unless it's aggressive.

11. M67v

M67v #1 Model S fan

Oh wow. Did this happen before with other cars? Did you fix it?

12. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I bet if someone climbed in and moved around in the car, or reached in and opened the door from the inside the alarm would go off...

13. FireLT

FireLT Member

It happened once before with my Acura. Yea.. got it fixed. Just have to get the window tinted now.

14. tliving

tliving Member

My daughter set off the alarm first week I owned my Model S when I left her in the car to go get a Dunkin. She opened the door from the inside while it was locked and powered down (she was getting out as she didn't know why it all shut down). So I "tested" the alarm and it works.