Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car alarm going off randomly even when driving!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea what's going on but car alarm randomly was going off last night and really irritating the neighbours. Checked the car for water bottles and bugs and all clear. Went off again this morning and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to turn off, even unlocking the car via app did nothing. Then as I got in the car still didn't turn off......started driving for a few miles and it was still going off continuously!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬. After driving for a while it stopped, then happened again an hour later! 😫 no option to turn off the security alarm either, seems to be going off no matter what settings I toggle. The crazy thing is that the screen or app had no notifications that the alarm was going off at all.....no alert logs either.

Phoned Tesla and someone is going to check it remotely for me, so let's see, will post an update shortly. Anyone else had this issue??

Reactions: VivekDr
I have read through this post and checked my Model Y and i don't see any bugs or rodents. However, the last two days my sentry mode alarm has randomly gone off pretty much around the same time, 7:10am. Anyone know anything else thst could be causing these false alarms?

Piling onto this thread because of (somewhat?) similar experience with my Model S.
This morning, I heard the alarm horn honking as i was getting ready to leave my church after the service. It shut off on its own before I got out to the parking lot so I was not actually certain it was my car, except that there were no other cars nearby.
The next weird thing was that a message popped up on the screen, saying that the frunk was open. It was only on screen for a few seconds and then disappeared. The frunk looked OK and had not been opened for several days.
Just now at home, the alarm actuated again, about 2 hours after the initial event. Again, it shut off by itself before I had a chance to do anything myself.

I did a search and found a number of threads about alarm issues with Model 3, but none for Model S. So I am posting here in case anyone on this thread has any insight.

My car is 6+ years old and has never done this before in 6 years.

Piling onto this thread because of (somewhat?) similar experience with my Model S.
This morning, I heard the alarm horn honking as i was getting ready to leave my church after the service. It shut off on its own before I got out to the parking lot so I was not actually certain it was my car, except that there were no other cars nearby.
The next weird thing was that a message popped up on the screen, saying that the frunk was open. It was only on screen for a few seconds and then disappeared. The frunk looked OK and had not been opened for several days.
Just now at home, the alarm actuated again, about 2 hours after the initial event. Again, it shut off by itself before I had a chance to do anything myself.

I did a search and found a number of threads about alarm issues with Model 3, but none for Model S. So I am posting here in case anyone on this thread has any insight.

My car is 6+ years old and has never done this before in 6 years.

It's very likely that your frunk sensor is faulty. It might think it's getting opened, and that's what's causing the frunk to go off. On my current car, I had to replace the hood latch sensor because it was faulty and causing the alarm to go off randomly when the car was locked.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
It's very likely that your frunk sensor is faulty. It might think it's getting opened, and that's what's causing the frunk to go off. On my current car, I had to replace the hood latch sensor because it was faulty and causing the alarm to go off randomly when the car was locked.
Thanks! That made sense, but since then I have had other (possibly false) alarms about low coolant simultaneously with the frunk alarm. The two are intermittent only appear together, or not at all. I have since found another thread that offers another possible explanation for groups of false alarms, namely a faulty electrical ground. I have made a service appointment, so we'll see what they determine is the cause.

And here is another potentially relevant thread that relates specifically to the "loose frunk" issue. Frunk open alarm