Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Allocation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how it’s done / what is the process?

I know that Tesla don’t make cars to order; they make cars and then allocate them to customer orders but do you know how or why they choose to allocate that car to that customer this month?

I have spoken to various people on the end of the CS phones and one told me that when the ship if halfway here they start the process of allocating those cars to customers, another said “we have started allocating cars for March” (don’t know what ‘we’ meant - him and some others?).

They must have a system and at some point that system must have x cars on that boat of my spec and y customers in the waiting list for that spec – how do they identify which customers gets to the top of that list?

This is what I have read on the fb page, I can't verify how accurate it is.

... the allocation algorithm is well know. Cars made in batches. Batches are allocated to customers during transit to UK.

They know how many are going to each handover location.

If they have 100 MY LR white/white with 20 inch wheels going to Bristol handover site, they’ll prioritise anyone with software addons such as FSD/EAP. Then they start at the top of the order list for that location and work down it.

It’s not perfect, errors and inconsistencies happen, as in any business. But the vast majority of cars go to the people who first ordered that spec at that location.

With X thousand cars being delivered in 2-4 weeks, there will be anomalies with the matching process that upset people, but these are outliers not the norm.

Reactions: Forty_Two
... the allocation algorithm is well know. Cars made in batches. Batches are allocated to customers during transit to UK.
If that is correct (and it does make sense) it answers the question 'how do they allocate' but . . . . if it correct and it is an algorithm in a piece of software it can't make mistakes and must be totally consistent., And .. . if it is that, it would be able to do it as soon as the cars get on the boat (although I could understand if they didn't do it until the boat landed (case it sunk on route).

They know how many are going to each handover location.

If they have 100 MY LR white/white with 20 inch wheels going to Bristol handover site, they’ll prioritise anyone with software addons such as FSD/EAP. Then they start at the top of the order list for that location and work down it.

It’s not perfect, errors and inconsistencies happen, as in any business. But the vast majority of cars go to the people who first ordered that spec at that location.

With X thousand cars being delivered in 2-4 weeks, there will be anomalies with the matching process that upset people, but these are outliers not the norm.

which kind of makes sense. But wouldn’t they also factor in how many orders they have in different areas and potentially change how many go to each location?

And I had my location change from Brent Cross, to bluewater, to southampton - so there is some flexiblity on how far they assume you’re willing to travel

Its unclear as to what your actual situation is... My guess is that you placed an order, put down your £100 and you're in the position of waiting for Tesla to come back to you with a firm delivery date?

Personally, I think you're just driving yourself mad trying to second guess what the system is, what the algorithm is, who gets what first...

If they say March, then it'll come by then.

Kick back, relax and don't worry about cars on boats or sinking! If you want to really go deep - there's always the shipping movements thread!

Last edited:
Completely agree with the comment above. Estimated March means just that. Sometime in March. Pointless speculating etc. I doubt anyone on here really knows for sure how allocation works. From Tesla’s perspective its likely based on financial factors such as cash flow, logistics costs etc. It’s not set up with a customer focus, that’s clear with so many ‘discrepancies’. Nothing like BMW where you have a factory built allocated etc. Chill and enjoy the madness!

which kind of makes sense. But wouldn’t they also factor in how many orders they have in different areas and potentially change how many go to each location

Within the bounds of practicality.

No point having every transporter available going to a single delivery location, if that location can't physically accommodate them.

Although somewhat limited and in some cases mythical, there are some pre-delivery checks, admin to complete, possibly charging required. This needs available resource.

Logistics isn't easy, the car transporters themselves may only be available to certain locations. Then onward transport for those being delivered to home. Each car needs to be in the hands of a customer fast, so not to clog the system.

All this and more, needs to go into the planning. The one thing that is in Tesla's control is the allocation, so they make use of that to juggle all the logistical and practical issues.