Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car at delivery centre but Tesla waiting for a part?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD has gone through a bunch of changes, but starting on April 25, 2022, I was actually assigned a VIN and my EDD was April 25 - April 29. Each day the same 5-day window has shifted a day. Today it is May 3 - May 7.

I checked in with the SA and they advised that the car is actually at the delivery centre, but they are waiting for a part, for which they have no ETA. The part, from what I've been advised by someone else (brother of a friend that works for Tesla), is a charge module.

Anyone know what this could be? Anyone else have a car at the delivery centre but cannot be delivered due to a part that needs to be replaced? I'm wondering if this is something they discovered was faulty and needed to be corrected just prior to delivery or something completely missed.

I've also asked for a manufacture date as I wondered if I was assigned a car that was rejected. It's a 424 VIN.

I had rejected a car back in February due to a large chunk in the front bumper that presuming happened during transport that the delivery manager said would need to be repainted at a body shop. Needless to say I didn't want a brand new car with a repainted bumper so I rejected it.

I am experiencing the same. MYLR 5 seat blue exterior + white interior no tow no FSD OD 11/13 in Colorado.
Got VIN on 04/25 with EDD April 26 - April 30 and since then the delivery window is moving ahead one day every morning.

I called Tesla yesterday and they said to just ignore the EDD and wait for a call from the local delivery center once the car is ready to be delivered. And it might take 1/2 weeks for that to happen.

My EDD has gone through a bunch of changes, but starting on April 25, 2022, I was actually assigned a VIN and my EDD was April 25 - April 29. Each day the same 5-day window has shifted a day. Today it is May 3 - May 7.

I checked in with the SA and they advised that the car is actually at the delivery centre, but they are waiting for a part, for which they have no ETA. The part, from what I've been advised by someone else (brother of a friend that works for Tesla), is a charge module.

Anyone know what this could be? Anyone else have a car at the delivery centre but cannot be delivered due to a part that needs to be replaced? I'm wondering if this is something they discovered was faulty and needed to be corrected just prior to delivery or something completely missed.

I've also asked for a manufacture date as I wondered if I was assigned a car that was rejected. It's a 424 VIN.

I had rejected a car back in February due to a large chunk in the front bumper that presuming happened during transport that the delivery manager said would need to be repainted at a body shop. Needless to say I didn't want a brand new car with a repainted bumper so I rejected it.

I dont think its a faulty part, I think its the actual charge port you used to charge the car. I have been reading about backorders on that part and that tesla was shipping cars to the service center without it, for it to be installed when the part comes in. Its a very simple installation for the service center as I understand it.

People who have had a bad charge port have had mobile service swap them out in 20 minutes or so.

You will just need to wait for them to get the part in and install it. You can use the car without a charge port.

Reactions: bkp_duke and GOVA

Question for you.
Did you already make the payment? i mean if you are financing did your financial institution already sent out check to tesla? or if you paying cash did tesla already take the payment and now you are waiting for your part? if so this is ridiculous! i am sorry.

I dont think its a faulty part, I think its the actual charge port you used to charge the car. I have been reading about backorders on that part and that tesla was shipping cars to the service center without it, for it to be installed when the part comes in. Its a very simple installation for the service center as I understand it.

People who have had a bad charge port have had mobile service swap them out in 20 minutes or so.

You will just need to wait for them to get the part in and install it. You can use the car without a charge port.

Hmm.. I should not have hit enter without proof reading it, as the context is a bit different than I intended.

The first sentence should be "I dont think its a faulty part, I think its the actual charge port you USE to charge to the car" (not "used" past tense, as the OP doesnt have the car yet).

The last sentence should read " You will just need to wait for them to get the part in and to install it. You CANT use the car without the charge port" (very important distinction there, Not sure how I mistyped "CANT" as can, but that changes the meaning of what I said drastically.

Question for you.
Did you already make the payment? i mean if you are financing did your financial institution already sent out check to tesla? or if you paying cash did tesla already take the payment and now you are waiting for your part? if so this is ridiculous! i am sorry.
Yeah - I paid for the car in full right before my delivery in February, that I rejected due to the bumper warranting complete repaint. I had wired the money so they've had full payment for nearly 3 full months. I don't like to finance any depreciating assets (which typically cars would be, except Tesla for the last several months), so paid in cash.

From what I understand the car is there but a part is needed in order for the car to be ready for delivery - so I understand. I guess my frustration is the reason for rejecting the last car wasn't any fault of mine - I really expected the next one to be expedited. As of now it's been nearly 3 months.

Hmm.. I should not have hit enter without proof reading it, as the context is a bit different than I intended.

The first sentence should be "I dont think its a faulty part, I think its the actual charge port you USE to charge to the car" (not "used" past tense, as the OP doesnt have the car yet).

The last sentence should read " You will just need to wait for them to get the part in and to install it. You CANT use the car without the charge port" (very important distinction there, Not sure how I mistyped "CANT" as can, but that changes the meaning of what I said drastically.

Ah yes - thank you. I gathered as much. This makes sense.

Well you technically can use the car without a charge port....until the battery dies :)

I'm having same exact issue with awd m3 white interior, texting with my delivery guy and he said they're waiting on a "federally mandated data port"
I got a call on the 29th that the car's ready for delivery, and my appointment was set for May 5, 12pm. Then i got a call a few days later that there's a quality control issue, and the delivery date's pushed off for some amount of time...
Really sucks cuz i crashed my rwd in a rainstorm on april fools, and now im stuck driving 100 miles/day without autopilot and paying out the ass for a rental :(
I'm trying to find out if the part's even on the way, but they're being very dodgy... Everyday the delivery date just says its estimated between the current day and four in advance...

I went to the service center where my Model 3 was delivered May 9th. I asked the service guy why the hold up? He said they are waiting for a charge port "clip" for the wiring harness. He said it would take all but two minutes to install but they can't deliver it to me until then. He said the part might possibly come in by the 20th. When I looked at my car it has the charge port installed with the retractable door. This is my first time to order a Tesla and unfortunately it's not turning out to be a smooth, pleasant experience that I was hoping for.

I went to the service center where my Model 3 was delivered May 9th. I asked the service guy why the hold up? He said they are waiting for a charge port "clip" for the wiring harness. He said it would take all but two minutes to install but they can't deliver it to me until then. He said the part might possibly come in by the 20th. When I looked at my car it has the charge port installed with the retractable door. This is my first time to order a Tesla and unfortunately it's not turning out to be a smooth, pleasant experience that I was hoping for.

Attachments

• 67409738553__6DE3D18C-4ECF-4348-BF39-9DA9E8B7AF97.jpeg
    67409738553__6DE3D18C-4ECF-4348-BF39-9DA9E8B7AF97.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 78
My 5-day delivery window has now moved a day at a time 21 times and today is May 16-20. 😔

I’m driven by the delivery centre a few times on the way to appointments and such and each time only see 1-2 cars at a time there so maybe only a few of the needed parts are trickling through.

• Informative
Reactions: Silence88
My 5-day delivery window has now moved a day at a time 21 times and today is May 16-20. 😔

I’m driven by the delivery centre a few times on the way to appointments and such and each time only see 1-2 cars at a time there so maybe only a few of the needed parts are trickling through.
In same boat..payment made in full on may9th and then the drama of missing part started for my model Y

Join the crowd, APP assigned me a VIN on April 29th and instructed me to make final payment so i could receive the car on May 6th, when it arrived at the showroom i got a call saying my delivery would have to be pushed back a week. Long story short, three delays later and i'm now waiting till June 6th to pickup my car. Hope you haven't made final payment yet, I did as instructed and they're holding my car hostage with zero incentive to get it fixed.

Similar thread. I was also told my hold is for a clip and not a chip, which to me makes the situation even more ridiculous.

Yeah - I paid for the car in full right before my delivery in February, that I rejected due to the bumper warranting complete repaint. I had wired the money so they've had full payment for nearly 3 full months. I don't like to finance any depreciating assets (which typically cars would be, except Tesla for the last several months), so paid in cash.

From what I understand the car is there but a part is needed in order for the car to be ready for delivery - so I understand. I guess my frustration is the reason for rejecting the last car wasn't any fault of mine - I really expected the next one to be expedited. As of now it's been nearly 3 months.

Ah yes - thank you. I gathered as much. This makes sense.
Man I am kind of in the same boat, I paid for my car April 29th and it arrived at the service center on May 6th, but my delivery has been pushed back 3 times, now to June 6th. Problem is my car was financed, and the bank is starting to ask where the title is... Can't give them a title if i don't have a car, i'm really not sure what is going to happen if a month goes by, will the bank call the loan and screw up my credit? Who knows, but i am LIVID with Tesla right now.

Reactions: Teleezen
Man I am kind of in the same boat, I paid for my car April 29th and it arrived at the service center on May 6th, but my delivery has been pushed back 3 times, now to June 6th. Problem is my car was financed, and the bank is starting to ask where the title is... Can't give them a title if i don't have a car, i'm really not sure what is going to happen if a month goes by, will the bank call the loan and screw up my credit? Who knows, but i am LIVID with Tesla right now.
ah June 6th ??? too much!! worst process they are following.
Tesla shouldn't assign the VIN to customers until the car is complete or has all parts for delivery :(
Now the next batch of cars are getting delivered which don't have the parts issue to customers who were in the back in the queue.
Elon this is not fair!!!

ah June 6th ??? too much!! worst process they are following.
Tesla shouldn't assign the VIN to customers until the car is complete or has all parts for delivery :(
Now the next batch of cars are getting delivered which don't have the parts issue to customers who were in the back in the queue.
Elon this is not fair!!!
Ours is a horrible situation....waiting game part 2

The SA is Miami told me that they have almost 300 vehicles waiting for the charge port ECU. The irony is that they do not have a confirmed date for receipt of the parts atleast this month. So, I reckon that this wait is going to spill over into next month surely (atleast for the folks in Miami). Keep in mind thar there may be more delays as the retrofit shall be an additional few hundred man hours for the local SCs, besides their usual load of service and/or repairs.

Tesla eased their potential logistical pile up by shipping out the vehicles from the factory without the charge port.

I just wish that the car finally be worth this long nightmarish experience.

Reactions: Teleezen