Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car broken into

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple precautions saves a lot of headache. Thieves are opportunistic, they are looking for a visible item of value to steal. They do not want to break into a car and rummage through things to find an item to steal. Therefore no item of value should be visible in the car from outside. You are saying break in -- was sentry mode activated? as the previous post mentions , was the access card kept in the car? if so then you only have to blame yourself for offering an easy target.

To be fair, he/she does not only have themselves to blame.

The majority of the blame should be placed on the low-life that broke into the car to steal the iPad. It's sad that we have come to expect this behavior.

Like others, I don't understand how PIN saved the car from being stolen. Was a key left in the car? Was the iPad set up as a key (is that possible?)?

To be fair, he/she does not only have themselves to blame.

The majority of the blame should be placed on the low-life that broke into the car to steal the iPad. It's sad that we have come to expect this behavior.

Like others, I don't understand how PIN saved the car from being stolen. Was a key left in the car? Was the iPad set up as a key (is that possible?)?
Some high tech thieves targeting and stealing Tesla cars use a device to intercept the Bluetooth signal to open the car and drive away. If you set up "PIN to drive", you have to type the PIN even if you open the door with your phone key.
So, we are not talking about iPad's PIN.
Also, I don't think (in this case) the thieves wanted to steal OP's car. I have not seen this type of incident of stealing Tesla cars (MY/3) with that technology loop hole yet.
MS/MX case is different since they use key fobs and thieves intercept/boost the key fob signal to gain access the car and drive away vs. M3/Y have card key that needs to be physically touched at the b pillar to gain access.

Tesla cars, once opened, you can drive the car without the phone key until you put it in park again. I am not sure if Tesla fixed this issue or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: whisperingshad
+1 on the last few questions.

Key in the car wouldn't equate to "broken into"; it would be "left car unlocked, someone took stuff". How did they get in?

OP are you using "iPad" interchangeably with the touchscreen in the Tesla? Like did someone steal your screen or literally an iPad left in the car?

Not unsympathetic to your situation btw, really sucks to have your car infiltrated, it's happened to me a few times over the years. Just trying to understand the specifics.

Tesla cars, once opened, you can drive the car without the phone key until you put it in park again. I am not sure if Tesla fixed this issue or not.
I think there is a time limit. I know a few times, I get in the car, and was just waiting for the rest of the family to come back... Then I would get the message saying I have to tap the keycard to the center console... So I would just tap my phone to the center console, and it would be good. This happened a few times, but I can't remember if I hit the brake or not yet, so I can't remember if I already entered the pin. I just remember when I went to shift into R, it beeped, and asked me to tap the keycard, instead of asking for the PIN.

+1 on the last few questions.

Key in the car wouldn't equate to "broken into"; it would be "left car unlocked, someone took stuff". How did they get in?

OP are you using "iPad" interchangeably with the touchscreen in the Tesla? Like did someone steal your screen or literally an iPad left in the car?

Not unsympathetic to your situation btw, really sucks to have your car infiltrated, it's happened to me a few times over the years. Just trying to understand the specifics.
I was assuming that some clever low life could steal the car if I didn't have Tesla Pin# activated. Perhaps not.

iPad was not set up to activate/synced to the car like my iPhone is, i.e., leaving an iPad in the car would / should not leave the car unlocked when I walked away (which would occur if it was my iPhone left in the car). iPad was left in the storage area on the driver side door. Perhaps the doors did not lock when I walked away for some reason.

A weird situation was that I got a notification while I was not near my car that the frunk was open. This occasionally is a false indicator I get sometimes when I get in the car to drive off but normally it goes away. When I looked at the frunk it was slightly open but not to the degree that would occur if I activated "open" frunk from the Tesla app. No idea how the frunk could have been forced open w/pin# activation.

Perhaps the doors did not lock when I walked away for some reason.
This is why I always made a habit of tapping my phone to the B-Pillar to lock the car. Walk away lock is too inconsistent for me. Sometimes it locks after a few feet, sometimes it won't lock until I'm either really far away, or physically walk into the building, etc... Also, if my kid left a door slightly ajar, etc, it will also prevent walk away lock from working... But if you tap to lock, it will immediately alert you that a door is ajar, etc. From what I hear, thieves just look to see if your mirrors are folded or not when they drive by, to know if it's locked or not.

This is why I always made a habit of tapping my phone to the B-Pillar to lock the car. Walk away lock is too inconsistent for me. Sometimes it locks after a few feet, sometimes it won't lock until I'm either really far away, or physically walk into the building, etc... Also, if my kid left a door slightly ajar, etc, it will also prevent walk away lock from working... But if you tap to lock, it will immediately alert you that a door is ajar, etc. From what I hear, thieves just look to see if your mirrors are folded or not when they drive by, to know if it's locked or not.
I didn't know you can tap the phone on the pillar to lock the car. I have it setup to honk on walk away lock, so I always listen for that when I walk away from the car. It almost always works for me, but on the one or two times when I didn't hear the honk, I'd check my app to verify if the car locked.

Reactions: JonB65
I would never leave an iPad, iDevice or laptop in my car. I'm in the Bay Area and car break-ins are plentiful.

So, after work, even though I have a laptop + a backpack containing 4 iDevices (2 of them iPads) as I work on iOS stuff for a living, I take it all with me into restaurants, stores, etc.

And, if Bluetooth in enabled on those devices, I've seen plenty of stories like these:

I would never leave an iPad, iDevice or laptop in my car. I'm in the Bay Area and car break-ins are plentiful.

So, after work, even though I have a laptop + a backpack containing 4 iDevices (2 of them iPads) as I work on iOS stuff for a living, I take it all with me into restaurants, stores, etc.
Same with my work. They even had security advisories posted at my work where they said that thieves at local restaurants watch people move their valuables into their trunk, then break into the cars and pop the trunks... They told us to not only never leave stuff in sight, but if we must move stuff to the trunk, to do it BEFORE arriving at our destination, NOT after.

Same with my work. They even had security advisories posted at my work where they said that thieves at local restaurants watch people move their valuables into their trunk, then break into the cars and pop the trunks... They told us to not only never leave stuff in sight, but if we must move stuff to the trunk, to do it BEFORE arriving at our destination, NOT after.
If you put it in the frunk, even if someone breaks in they can’t open it since it’s not a physical button.

It's gotten to the point in Houston with the number of these types of thefts over the years, and the cops sending a clear message for years that they are not interested in your car break ins, that it is now officially your fault if you even leave an empty plastic supermarket bag in view in your car. You really are asking for it here, and you are knowingly chumming the waters by leaving anything in view. There are posted signs in most parking lots telling you in a very diplomatic way that you are a complete idiot if you leave anything in your car in view. Heck, it's so bad, they may still break the window to check under the seat and center console for guns, or try to flip the back seat down to check the trunk for stuff, but for the love of all things holy, don't leave anything in view!

Reactions: GadgetGary
Or do this like drives in California.

people-are-leaving-their-trunks-and-doors-open-to-prevent-car-break-ins-177071_1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and TLLMRRJ