Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.14.6 breaking cameras and navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I got 2024.14.6 update a few days ago, my MYLR '21 has been so frustrating.
- All cameras broken ("not available")
- Navigation is broken (car stuck in one spot on the map, like GPS or inertial updates are not happening)

Things I have tried:
- Reboots (steering wheel buttons) - Occasionally fixes it (once I had to do it 3 times), but inevitably breaks again - sometimes just after parking the car for a minute.
- Service mode 'reinstall' - This appeared to fix it, but then it was broken the next morning.

Does anyone know any workarounds, or things I should try? This is so frustrating, this really affects the usability of the car. (my Y has terrible rear visibility without cameras, making backup up a lot more difficult than it should be)

I think these were the problems that caused Tesla to stop 14.6 rollout and now they have a 14.7 version rolling out in big numbers this afternoon. But because your car was one that actually experienced the "bug" it may be worth doing a service appt request and see what the say. Who knows, maybe once noted in the system 14.7 would be pushed to you earlier.

An update after being on the phone with Tesla Support yesterday - The associate (very nice BTW) had me try a few of the their usual tricks to clear UI issues:
- Changing the display language (and then back), this restarts some of the UI
- "Powering off" the car and waiting 2 mins before hitting the break pedal to wake it up - this restarts other elements

Unfortunately they did not solve the issue. (Not any more effective than the steering wheel button restart)... And the issue is still sporadic. It sometimes fixes itself when parked, and sometimes breaks again when parked.

From what I can tell my situation appeared to be a rather unique case, no one else had reported it as far as they could see, although at least one more forum member is seeing it. (@Fictional_Yeti) (Apparently a similar issue happened to a number of people back in September, but I lucked out from seeing it then)

From what they said there is a new software update coming soon, hopefully that will fix it. They also said I could setup a service appointment if the issue persists, which I may... Although today I was seeing less of the issue.

Last edited:
I got 2024.14.8 yesterday, and unfortunately it is still an issue. (Happened twice) But maybe it is slightly better, it seems to happen around 40% of the time when I get in the car instead of 80%? 😐
Nice that they at least prioritized your troubled car with the latest 14.8...still only 1.5% of the fleet on 14.8. Unfortunate that it still hasn't fully fixed the issue.
Early release notes are out for 2024.20 so maybe they will be moving to that sooner than later if it doesn't carry through the problems with 14.x

Did you ever get this resolved? Just picked up my 2024 MYP and have the free trial of FSD. 2024.3.25 was stuck downloading, service re-pushed it and it “successfully” installed yesterday. Now I have no gps, cameras, etc.

I’ve tried reboots, driving around on the interstate. Resetting das. Nothing seems to work so far.

First service appointment isn’t until July 2nd and I’ve had this car less than a week. Shitty experience so far.

Just as an update: we took our MY for service first thing in the morning. They tried a re-install and it didn’t help. They assigned their lead tech on it and he found that the HW3 computer was shot. Had to have it replaced (ours was out of warranty) at a cost of $1,500 plus labor. Took about three hours to replace.

I asked if the update caused the issue and they said they didn’t know. The situation seems odd to me.

Anyone else find a resolution?

Just wanted to chime in. I have the same issue (still not resolved). I’m on 2024.14.8.
I still have the issue - I got 2024.14.9 a few days ago, and it still happens. Frustrating.

I though it might have been been fixed in .9, but just as I was leaving for a 6hr road trip, it struck again. :-( Normally my Y is an *awesome* road tripper, but with the added "fun" of:
- No navigation (with end estimation and supercharger selection)
- No cruise control (TACC), no auto-steer
- No sentry mode
... Yeah, it is NOT fun. I tried the "a better road planner" app, and it did help... but MAN that is a buggy app. I had hoped it got better since the last time I tried but YIKES.

NOTE: It did clear up 5hrs into the drive, after we got back in the car after a bathroom break. But every time you get into the car it seems like a 50/50 flip if you are going to get this issue or not. (To be fair it probably works closer to 60-70% of the time, but still)

I ended up scheduling a service appt. We'll see what they do. I have supplied them with a lot of information.

EDIT: My car is just now downloaded 2024.20.1 - I will let it install and let you all know if it resolves the issue or not.

Yes thanks. Didn’t mention in this thread, but that has been tried also. Didn’t fix the problem for us.

At least for my car, I need to unplug the thumb drive or SSD, disable Sentry Mode, and let the car go through a deep sleep cycle (i.e. a few hours). This resolves the issue "permanently", or rather until I try using Sentry Mode again.

I've gone through several iterations of this test but every time I plug in a storage drive and enable Sentry Mode, sooner or later (typically 1-3 days) I lose one or both repeater camera feeds which then disables auto emergency braking, autopilot, basically all active safety features.

Last edited: