Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy to do. Followed directions used my random orbit buffer for the two coats. It would be more work without a buffer. I owned a boat detailing business for 4 years so pretty familiar with it. Very happy with results. My car is flawless so no swirls or issues to fix. Hard to believe its supposed to last 60 mo.

from my Samsung galaxy s3

First off, I’d like to thank Artsci for taking the time to do these product comparisons! It’s very helpful to have an evaluation without the mfg/supplier hype.

I’ve had my S for almost 6 months now and have been fortunate to get a CR Spotless water treatment system that allowed me to not have to touch the car with a towel. The only time a towel touched the car (after delivery) was when I took it in for service (I made sure that never happened again on subsequent services), once for a spot treatment to get rid of a bird bombing, and once when I had not “believed” in the CR Spotless yet. So taking a light to the car – swirl marks are just about non-existent (in addition to it being difficult to find as the S is pearl white).

My plan is to:

1. Pretreat panels with P21S Total Auto Wash and do a typical wash (foam gun, two bucket) with a higher concentration of soap (that way I can still avoid towel drying)
  2. Clay to remove contaminants
  3. Evaluate – If swirls are still not apparent, I’ll probably jump straight to the Glare Prof. If light swirls do exist (enough to bother me) – I’ll probably try a panel with a white DA pad with Glare and finish with a red pad. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably prep with a light cut, like Menzerna’s Super Finish (love their stuff) then finish with Glare.

Glare’s website is a little confusing – it says it’s a sealant, but then also says “Micro scratches, swirls, and oxidation are all removed permanently.” Almost sounds like an AIO – but I’ll take it more as a sealant.

I’ve read most of this thread (page 15 to here) and I think there’s been one mention of applying Glare Prof on top of the clear bra. Any results from that? Any other opinions? I’ve got the entire hood and the factory kit applied. Last thing I want to do is apply a product that “yellows” the clearbra.

Otherwise, I think I’ll use the 3M product that was recommended by StarShield for Avery clearbras.

I did the entire Glare treatment on Sunday. Yesterday I took a 200 mile drive and when I returned home I was coated in bug splatter. This morning, I ran to the local touchless wash (something I never do) and after the wash, I dried the car with a sham. WOW is all I can say not one bug splat stuck, and the shine was amazing. There was hardly any water to wipe away and it looked better than Sunday. I love this Glare product.

J

The Detailer company is AutoWerx Detailing out of Sherwood. You can contact them at 503-939-6139 (Nick). Please check with them on pricing - depends on the list of things you want to do. It is around $700 +
congrats on your red! Enjoy the car!

Thanks for sharing our work! We sincerely appreciated the opportunity to work on such a finely crafted vehicle. I'm here to answer any questions your fellow forum members may have about proper care care and the best ways to protect their new Tesla. This thread is already full of all sorts of amazing recommendations and spot on advice.

I just had a professional detailer put two coats of Glare on the car. I asked him afterwards what he thought of the product. He said he was amazed. Said it's the smoothest and shiniest product he's ever used. Thank you artsci!

untitled-37-2.JPG

I just had a professional detailer put two coats of Glare on the car. I asked him afterwards what he thought of the product. He said he was amazed. Said it's the smoothest and shiniest product he's ever used. Thank you artsci!

View attachment 21539
I had mine detailed with Glare yesterday. For a 2nd opinion, I had another detailer check it out today and he thought it was incredible. He didn't know Glare but he thought the treatment was as good as anything he'd seen.

View attachment 21539

Do you have paint film on this car? I'm trying to figure out if I should use glare and then add the film or vice versa, or no glare at all.

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint ...

Yes, I selected the factory option for the film. I'm not sure I can advise whether to put film on before or after Glare. Logic might suggest before however. The Glare went on top of everything.

I was wondering if one used glare first and then the film if the film would protect the polish and maintain the look.