Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car didn't charge again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night my car didn't charge again.

This isn't the first time, but it often happens at the most inopportune time - usually when I need to get up early in the morning (5ish) to travel a long distance. Because of getting up early, I set my phone to airplane mode, so that any incoming messages don't wake me up, meaning that I miss my car telling me in the middle of the night that the charge failed.

Is there any way of determining why the charge failed? I have a Zappi charger and M3 with release 2026.26.8 and charging delayed until 12:30 by the car. I have considered Teslafi but wondered if there was a way of diagnosing where the problem may lie with the preinstalled systems first. At this stage, I'm not even sure if it is a car problem or a charger problem...

There are some high level logs available on service menu on car main screen. They will list most recent fault codes.

Tbh, sounds like you want to be scheduling a few charges during the day whilst watching and seeing if any errors are thrown then.

When you first plug in, do you ever see any error at that point, eg plug not secured type messages.

Reactions: init6
Presume your Zappi was set to Fast mode and your charge delay is set in the car? I have been having some issues with my Mum's Zappi failing to charge my M3 sometimes, whereas ours works fine. The settings on both are the same. Someone suggested to me that the comms cable in the tethered cable might have an intermittant break in it. Apparently the older (non-MyEnergi branded) tethered cables had a weakness in them which meant they can fault over time.

What was the Zappi screen showing this morning, was it still Charge Delayed?

So last night my car didn't charge again.

This isn't the first time, but it often happens at the most inopportune time - usually when I need to get up early in the morning (5ish) to travel a long distance. Because of getting up early, I set my phone to airplane mode, so that any incoming messages don't wake me up, meaning that I miss my car telling me in the middle of the night that the charge failed.

Is there any way of determining why the charge failed? I have a Zappi charger and M3 with release 2026.26.8 and charging delayed until 12:30 by the car. I have considered Teslafi but wondered if there was a way of diagnosing where the problem may lie with the preinstalled systems first. At this stage, I'm not even sure if it is a car problem or a charger problem...
Tesla wall charger here. I’ve had the same issue last two nights, mine is set to a 4:30am departure time. Yesterday morning i started a manual charge but it stopped twice and had to be restarted.

Same issue this morning. At 3:00am today I rebooted the car, no change. Fifteen minutes later I changed the charging schedule on my phone from 80% to 82%, it immediately started charging completing its charge about 90 minutes later.

Suspect something got corrupted and changing the % to charge forced a new save to the system.

Might be worth using TeslaFi, or another similar APP, and having that start the charge (and increase the LIMIT if you think that might help) several times during the night

TeslaFi trial is extended from 2 weeks to 4 weeks with a referral code

It shouldn't be stopping like that. Tesla wall charger here and I have twice seen messages about charging interrupted, but it has always resolved itself.

I use:
Preconditioning with a departure time and Off-Peak charge to ensure it charges as close to departure as possible, as this will also warm the battery.

You don't need to have cheaper off peak elec to use this charging method. For example set departure time and off peak time to your departure time.

Avoid using airplane mode - I've had charging disrupted (with Ohme charger & Intelligent Octopus) when my Andriod phone has rebooted overnight due to a software / firmware update, so any break in connectivity appears to be the key issue.
Use Do Not Disturb function instead.

Avoid using airplane mode - I've had charging disrupted (with Ohme charger & Intelligent Octopus) when my Andriod phone has rebooted overnight due to a software / firmware update, so any break in connectivity appears to be the key issue.
Use Do Not Disturb function instead.
Octopus's connection to your charger or your car does not run through your phone. the mode of your phone will have no impact on whether the charge kicks in or not.

Reactions: MrBadger