Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car died today. Gear indicators turned red.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You left out an important detail

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit.
It is NOT infinite miles on the DU nor battery pack on 60 kWh cars that were shipped before the announcement on Aug 15, 2014.

You left out an important detail

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit.

It is NOT infinite miles on the DU nor battery pack on 60 kWh cars that were shipped before the announcement on Aug 15, 2014.

Thanks for the correction. It's a subtle point that was lost on me and probably many other owners focusing on the last half of this sentence: "Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced." In an announcement titled Infinite Mile Warranty, it certainly wasn't clear this "warranty extension" might not bring everyone up to the same standard.

I got the red PRND today a block from my house. Pulled off to the side of the road, put it in park and back into drive and drove home without issue. I've been getting the "car needs service. May not restart" intermittently for the past week. Today I got a message when I got in at home that said car will not drive. It went away and drove fine.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I had a similar problem in my S85. It also came with a DU Failure popup. Despite that, the car restarted after a minute but then failed again with the red PRND and the same popup. I'd already had 1 DU replaced because of the milling noise so this one only had done 70,000km. It turns out to have been an unspecified bug in the firmware and the DU was fine. Tesla was unusually vague about the nature of the problem and of the fix but the problem hasn't recurred

• Informative
Reactions: TravisT and cwerdna
I got the red PRND today a block from my house. Pulled off to the side of the road, put it in park and back into drive and drove home without issue. I've been getting the "car needs service. May not restart" intermittently for the past week. Today I got a message when I got in at home that said car will not drive. It went away and drove fine.
This happened to me and is a sign that your drive unit is failing. Take it in before ymir shuts down on the freeway and leaves you stranded.

• Informative
Reactions: TravisT
This happened to me and is a sign that your drive unit is failing. Take it in before ymir shuts down on the freeway and leaves you stranded.

I just called the service center and they said that was all most likely tied to the battery pack failure, because the car was doing a HVIL (Hi Voltage Interlock Loop) check between the HV battery, battery heater, DU, etc, and found a problem and shut down. Since it started right back up and drove, it means that it checked the system again and everything was fine, so it restarted. They are sending a brand new, not refurb, battery pack and it will be replaced next Tuesday or Wednesday and they will run a full check on everything to make sure there are no other issues, like a DU.

I just called the service center and they said that was all most likely tied to the battery pack failure, because the car was doing a HVIL (Hi Voltage Interlock Loop) check between the HV battery, battery heater, DU, etc, and found a problem and shut down. Since it started right back up and drove, it means that it checked the system again and everything was fine, so it restarted. They are sending a brand new, not refurb, battery pack and it will be replaced next Tuesday or Wednesday and they will run a full check on everything to make sure there are no other issues, like a DU.

I'd take a new battery pack over a new DU. That's great!

Reactions: TravisT

Well it happened again last night. First time driving it since stalled the night before. Didn't even get off my street and the car stalled and all the gear indicator letters went red. It took a few seconds longer before it would go back into gear and drive this time, but I took it back home and parked it in the garage. Now I'm wondering if the battery is really causing it. Guess we will find out next week when I take it in for the battery replacement. Until then, I don't feel comfortable driving it.

• Informative
Reactions: Buddy
2014 P85

So I’m driving home from work this evening and with no warning or alert all of sudden the car wouldn’t respond to the accelerator and the car just came to a standstill as I braked. The car was still on though. I was stuck in the far left lane of a major road in NOVA (50 in Arlington). I tried changing gear and it would shift between them but still no ability to drive. I noticed that the gear inductors(PRND) were in red. Called roadside and we did some restarts with no luck. Tow truck beat the cop to the scene and we dropped it off at the Tyson’s SC. Roadside and the SC said they had not heard of this happening before. I couldn’t find anything online either. Got a Chrysler 300 as a loaner (ugh said they didn’t have any tesla loaners left)

My guess is driveunit failure.
Anyone heard of this before?
Anyone successful in exchanging their non-tesla loaner for a tesla eventually if they have to keep your car for a while?
hey, I was looking up online with the same issue I had recently with my Tesla model X, same situation gear indicator turn red and car stopped accelerating while on the left lane highway. Just wondering when it happened after a while did your car turn it off itself? I towed my car to the Tesla center, and the first thing it came to their screen is a 12v battery issue, which I hardly doubt that, and they already put replacing 12v battery in the bill already... I wondering if its because the drive unit failure caused car shuts off.
2014 P85

So I’m driving home from work this evening and with no warning or alert all of sudden the car wouldn’t respond to the accelerator and the car just came to a standstill as I braked. The car was still on though. I was stuck in the far left lane of a major road in NOVA (50 in Arlington). I tried changing gear and it would shift between them but still no ability to drive. I noticed that the gear inductors(PRND) were in red. Called roadside and we did some restarts with no luck. Tow truck beat the cop to the scene and we dropped it off at the Tyson’s SC. Roadside and the SC said they had not heard of this happening before. I couldn’t find anything online either. Got a Chrysler 300 as a loaner (ugh said they didn’t have any tesla loaners left)

Anyone successful in exchanging their non-tesla loaner for a tesla eventually if they have to keep your car for a while?

2014 P85

I was driving today and my drive indicators turned red, and the car seemed to lose half it's power. I was able to drive it off the freeway, and deliver my Lyft passenger to their destination. Everything went back to looking normal, but I didn't want to drive the car to the nearest SC which was 7.5 miles away, so I called AAA, and they hauled me into the SC. They're checking the car out, they did have a 2018 Model X for me to use as a loaner, I drive a 2014 Model S with 206,000 miles on it, just need it to last long enough to get my Cybertruck.

I was driving today and my drive indicators turned red, and the car seemed to lose half it's power. I was able to drive it off the freeway, and deliver my Lyft passenger to their destination. Everything went back to looking normal, but I didn't want to drive the car to the nearest SC which was 7.5 miles away, so I called AAA, and they hauled me into the SC. They're checking the car out, they did have a 2018 Model X for me to use as a loaner, I drive a 2014 Model S with 206,000 miles on it, just need it to last long enough to get my Cybertruck.
As I read further in the comments, I'm seeing that maybe the drive train is faulty. Mine was replaced in November of 2021, and again in August of 2022, both times under warranty. What is up with the drive trains failing?