Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car doesn't see new TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tire shop installed aftermarket dual frequency 315/433mhz sensors that didn't sync up until the next day after the car had gone to sleep. Then before I drove the car, I hit the relearn TPMS button, and within about a mile it popped up saying it detected a wheel change. Once I hit it, then it synced up the new TPMS.

So, after TWO sensors that would not read! I brought one of my summer tires to my auto shop, and had them pull the sensor and put it in the winter tire - No issues. (Tesla won't touch aftermarket rims/tires). I then took my summer tire (now without a TPS) to Tesla on my service appointment, and had them put in a TPMS sensor

I had a pretty strange experience this winter as well. MCU kept crashing anytime I tried to do the recalibration the night that I swapped sets, so I figured some config file with the addresses of the TPMS on the winter set was corrupt. I made a service appointment, and the following day, without any intervention it gave me the new tire size detected prompt. The night before I did the usual resetting of everything, restarting, changing sizes, recalibrating, driving around my neighborhood at various speeds, etc.

As crazy as it sounds, considering that I set up an appointment using the app, and posted pics of the error messages ("Tire pressure monitoring system fault - Sensors unable to measure tire pressure" and all the other related TPMS error messages people have posted), I'm imagining that someone just remotely wiped a file that had a corrupt config in it, and the next time I started driving in the morning, it did the normal checks. Maybe something else triggered it, but I'd like to believe that they saved themselves a service center visit with some remote diagnostics.

I had a pretty strange experience this winter as well. MCU kept crashing anytime I tried to do the recalibration the night that I swapped sets, so I figured some config file with the addresses of the TPMS on the winter set was corrupt. I made a service appointment, and the following day, without any intervention it gave me the new tire size detected prompt. The night before I did the usual resetting of everything, restarting, changing sizes, recalibrating, driving around my neighborhood at various speeds, etc.

As crazy as it sounds, considering that I set up an appointment using the app, and posted pics of the error messages ("Tire pressure monitoring system fault - Sensors unable to measure tire pressure" and all the other related TPMS error messages people have posted), I'm imagining that someone just remotely wiped a file that had a corrupt config in it, and the next time I started driving in the morning, it did the normal checks. Maybe something else triggered it, but I'd like to believe that they saved themselves a service center visit with some remote diagnostics.

the night before....Did you ever park the car and give it 20-30min to go to sleep? I’ve mentioned it before there is something that happens when you let it sleep. Things are reset that the two wheel button and even the shutdown in the menu don’t do when you let it go to sleep and reset.