Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car doesn't see new TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put 4 new tires/wheels on the car (winter) and the car is saying TPMS fault, and doesn't seem to see the sensors

I've heard both that the car has to go to the SC, and that it DOESN'T have to go to the SC.
Any ideas? I've tried TPMS factor reset, I tried new wheels, I tried recalibrate

I just put 4 new tires/wheels on the car (winter) and the car is saying TPMS fault, and doesn't seem to see the sensors

I've heard both that the car has to go to the SC, and that it DOESN'T have to go to the SC.
Any ideas? I've tried TPMS factor reset, I tried new wheels, I tried recalibrate

The car does not need reprogramming assuming you put in compatible TPMS.

Where did you get the TPMS from? Universal ones need to be programmed with a TPMS scan tool.

assuming the TPMS installed are the correct/compatible ones. Park the car and let it sleep....then try it again.

Tried both. Sigh, I'm guessing they shipped incompatible sensors

If they are correct it will just pop up automatically and you choose tire size. I switched between 3 sets and every time within a few minutes of driving they popped up.

They might be compatible but need to be programmed. Find out what they sent you. A local shop can program them pretty cheap.
Your invoice might list what they put in.

just to be clear - you need to have compatible sensors. Probably seems obvious in retrospect, but be sure you have sensors that are compatible with the TPMS system of the car (ie: Model S has at least 2 generations of TPMS).. ultimately, you should have just used the TPMS sensors on your old wheels, or buy ones specifically matched for your vehicle. If you go to the service center now (or mobile service), you'll be paying 50-100 per sensor from Tesla

just to be clear - you need to have compatible sensors. Probably seems obvious in retrospect, but be sure you have sensors that are compatible with the TPMS system of the car (ie: Model S has at least 2 generations of TPMS).. ultimately, you should have just used the TPMS sensors on your old wheels, or buy ones specifically matched for your vehicle. If you go to the service center now (or mobile service), you'll be paying 50-100 per sensor from Tesla
I ordered sensors that are supposidly compatible from discount tire. Talked to them today, they say that when I bring them to Tesla, bring their contact infor, and they will make me whole

I ordered sensors that are supposidly compatible from discount tire. Talked to them today, they say that when I bring them to Tesla, bring their contact infor, and they will make me whole

I doubt Tesla will touch it. If they didn’t install them they won’t want to have anything to do with it. All they might offer is installing their TPMS.

I’d bring to a local tire shop with specs on the TPMS you have and they might be able to take care if you.

Speaking for my (Model 3) car...

Drive a few miles and it prompts you to confirm which wheel size -- i.e. it automatically triggers recalibration when it notices the old TPMS are missing and new ones are present.

Parking or leaving the car off doesn't trigger that recalibration. Driving does.

My new winter wheels took a long time to sync up. After several ~10 mile trips and trying the manual resets, it finally popped up with a notification stating to use the change wheel configuration to register the new wheels. As both the OEM and new sets are 19-inch wheels, after pulling over, I temporarily switched to 18-inch then back to 19-inch. I then started to drive, and the screen went black. I pulled over prepared to reset it, but it came back before I could try. Within a couple of miles, the new sensors were registered. It was a bit more painful than I expected, but everything is perfect now.