TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car flex and losing a roof rack with bikes?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by luvacoustic, Apr 18, 2019.

1. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

If the bolt is tightened down against the stop it is not going to back out. For 6/2015 and later cars the torque spec is 1Nm (8.85 in-lb). For 5/2015 and earlier cars, that use different hardware, the torque spec is 5 Nm (44.25 in-lb).

An alternate method is to get a short metric (M6) stainless steel bolt, that is slightly longer than the depth of the threads, and a rubber washer. Put the washer on the bolt and run it into the threads until the bolt head tightly clamps the rubber washer to the bracket.

I just noticed that my instructions say the maximum limit is 150 lbs, not 165 lbs.

2. ArbitrageMan

ArbitrageMan Supporting Member

I feel bad for the OP. This is scary on six different dimensions.

The rust has me REALLY scared. My threads seem clean. Is filling up the threads with grease the correct preventative measure?

3. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

It's one way to do it. I mention another approach in post #61. Anything that prevents water. including very high humidity, from reaching the threads will work. Tesla, to my knowledge, has not said anything about the problem. I fear that the fact that most of the car is aluminum made them not think about rust and its prevention.

4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I’d think grease would be a mess. How about something like cosmoline?

5. DARK_VADAR

DARK_VADAR Banned

Tesla design is junk , you never hear this kind of stuff happen to other cars

• Disagree x 4