Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Hop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our main car is Nissan Leaf 40kwh 2018
Selling this after we get M3LR (mid Dec ish)
Really liked the leaf, just want more range really, have used it way more because of it being electric than I ever thought.
Would like to keep it really, but then that would be a bit silly, as it would be a 3rd car we'd have.
Also be good to get some money back on it, to recoup for paying for the M3.
Will be very sad to see the leaf go.

BMW 335d touring, unfortunately I didn't get much choice about "leaving it behind" as it and my wifes car were nicked off the drive one night :(
Waiting on an MS which I went for mainly because it has a hatch and I thought that the M3 boot would not be as felxible as I am used to.

So I’m not sure if anyone can beat this in terms of contrasting existing car performance...perhaps if you are driving a horse drawn carriage!

Current car (2012) Kia Picanto 1 litre from my student days. :D:p

M3P ordered and sitting patiently since mid-August. Still no delivery date but hopefully not too long.
The car that the M3P replaced in our household was a 2005 Toyota Prius. We tend to keep our cars long-term provided they remain reliable, which to give Toyota credit the Prius was. The Prius was a trade-in with Tesla and they wasted no time getting it off the forecourt. Based on DVLA records it is still on the road.

You're one of the few people getting a larger car! Most, including myself, seem to be downsizing to a model 3.
Haha, so the M3 (had since April) is my 6th car now which seems like a high number to say I’m only 29. Car history is mainly small cars
Fork Ka (gen 1) - rusty piece of crap with plastic bumpers - gear stick came off in your hand if you went into third too enthusiastically.
Ford Ka (gen 2) - 1st “new” car at 1 year old. Someone rear ended me on a slip road after having it two months (repaired then sold).
Merc CLC - (had about 4 months and had to sell for the house deposit)
Ford Ka (gen 2) - shared the wife’s car (stuck with this for a while).
Audi A1 (gen 1) - just while saving up for the M3/wedding/moving house etc.

Been an interesting few years.

2006 Fiat Panda 1.3 Diesel (75bhp) -> 2017 Mercedes E220D (195bp) -> M3 LR with 'performance' upgrade (400-500bhp ?)

Mercedes was beautifully built but also had scratchy shiny centre console. It's drive pilot 'was' arguably better than tesla Autopilot (works with you). Very comfortable for long journeys, you typically got to destination feeling more relaxed than when you started (seats way better than M3). Cheap PCP though at £350 a month.

Fiat Panda was a hoot - tiny, light, diesel torque, always felt you where going fast - over 9 years fell to bits - but was cheap to purchase/run and relatively cheap to repair (WBAC gave me £50 for it at the end :D)

M3LR - OMG - I sneak out for drives just for the hell of it.
  • Bad points: Paint quality 'sigh!', seats mediocre
  • Good Points: Technology, ease of use, performance, running costs
It's like somebody hit reset on the motor industry.

Next Car - Depending on the future value of my tesla shares - Tesla Roadster ;).

As far as other brands electric vehicles. Have tried Renault Zoe and Mercedes EQC - former 'was' underpowered and tiny, latter was overpriced and underwhelming. Other manufacturers really need to step up and even then I'd need to feel comfortable about countrywide charging network before I'd touch them.

Currently only tesla supercharger network inspires confidence and yes I am aware the majority of my charging happens at home - but If I decide I want to travel x hundred miles tomorrow and want to be able to do it without spending x hours route planning.

CC2DA09C-CF5F-4301-BEC4-2E6D00DA4A77.jpeg
BMW M4 competition pack. Had it for just over 3 years. Loved the engine and noise. Also loved the HUD but don’t really miss either of those things now. I find the Model 3 seats more comfortable but would opt for a little more bolster support. The thing I miss most is the heated steering wheel. Best £150 spent on an accessory ever.

I don’t miss the cold startup noise booming around the Avenue or the running costs. It was 25 to 30p per mile of super unleaded. I’m glad to be back with 4 doors too. I don’t miss the smarmy dealers or the assumption that they can charge for all sorts of unnecessary extras on a service. I had condensation in the rear lights that they wouldn’t change under warranty and merino leather that was ridiculously fragile and easily scuffed.

the M3P is a lot quicker too :)

2018 BMW M2 to a M3P. Only thing I'm not sure about moving to the M3P is how it will be in the corners. The M2 gave so much confidence when pressing on in the right conditions.

The M2 went at the end of October and I'm in a Peugeot 208 hire car which makes me incredibly sad.

Swapped my Mazda 6 sport tourer for the M3, originally was going to go for the CX-5 as I wanted the additional height of an SUV and it was almost identical to the 6 I'd been using, Over lockdown though fell into the rabbit hole of car youtube vids and saw the M3, watched more and my interest was piqued! I ordered it after my test drive as soon as lockdown cleared. Hopefully Mrs F will be ordering the Mazda MX-30 EV when it comes out, although I do wish it had a little more range (even by 50 miles would suffice!)