Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Car is locked' notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Anyone know if S and X's are ever going/supposed to get the 'honk chirp' notification that the 3's have? This works great on our 3, and we were told too many times that the 3 wouldn't have anything that the 'better' (lol) cars didn't get.

Tired of walking backwards to watch the mirrors fold or checking the app to be sure that the X locked after the 'luxury' of the 3 telling us so! :D

You'd think this would be a ten-second (relatively) copy and paste of code for the app and the car...... <sigh>

...'honk chirp'...

I hope not!

I don't need another noise coming from my Model X.

The rationale for the Model 3 noisy Chirp alarm was because the car didn't reliably automatically lock so the noise was needed to confirm whether the problem was fixed or not.

The reliability of Model 3 to automatically lock itself depends on what kind of cell phone, what app settings are set for the app (don't let it sleep), what car was on the app screen at the time, what software versions...

Too many factors to affect the outcome for Model 3!

Model S and X is different. If you have the right fob and you change the battery once a year, it would automatically unlock and lock with no noise needed.

Well the S not locking if the door isn't closed completely is an issue I dealt with when I first got the car. Now that it's "broken in", however, it's generally been a nonissue.

How about a notification via the app if you're car is left unlocked for longer than x seconds and then another notification once it is locked thereafter? I have a similar set up with my home alarm system where it lets me know if a door is left open.

Why not a setting? Everyone wins. Sometimes you want reassurance that the car fully locked instead of one door being left ajar.
Not sure if this was in response to my suggestion, but I wasn't suggesting a notification that a door is left ajar, I was suggesting a notification if the door is not locked after x seconds for any reason.

I suspect you'd still prefer a notification of it being locked since the lack of a notification in my scenario doesn't necessarily mean the car is locked (i.e. if there's no signal or the car just fails to send one for whatever reason), but I just wanted to clarify.

This would have been nice this weekend when a passenger didn't close one of the doors completely. I only became aware of it because I was checking my Teslafi stats and noticed that the status of the car was unlocked. I went out in the middle of the night and the car was unlocked with the door not ajar, but unlatched. The only indication that it was unlocked was the LED lights under the door handles. There didn't seem to be any evidence of intrusion.

Not sure if this was in response to my suggestion, but I wasn't suggesting a notification that a door is left ajar, I was suggesting a notification if the door is not locked after x seconds for any reason.

I suspect you'd still prefer a notification of it being locked since the lack of a notification in my scenario doesn't necessarily mean the car is locked (i.e. if there's no signal or the car just fails to send one for whatever reason), but I just wanted to clarify.

Sorry mine was a general comment.

I hope not!

I don't need another noise coming from my Model X.

The rationale for the Model 3 noisy Chirp alarm was because the car didn't reliably automatically lock so the noise was needed to confirm whether the problem was fixed or not.

The reliability of Model 3 to automatically lock itself depends on what kind of cell phone, what app settings are set for the app (don't let it sleep), what car was on the app screen at the time, what software versions...

Too many factors to affect the outcome for Model 3!

Model S and X is different. If you have the right fob and you change the battery once a year, it would automatically unlock and lock with no noise needed.
Don’t understand this at all, sorry. I always look back to be sure the X locks by looking at the mirrors. Same would be true for the 3. Having the slight horn chirp is better than having to watch it. And again, it’s optional. As almost all settings are.

And both have worked 100% for us. I still want confirmation. :D

Reactions: croman