Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car moving forward when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car doesn't roll like that no matter how steep or flat the terrain is. But if I'm driving along in D and just slap it into reverse without slowing or even taking my foot off the gauss pedal it will keep rolling forward for a very long time, many many feet. Could that be what's going on with you in this particular location? Shifting while it's still in motion?

Also note that you can "2-pedal" a Tesla just like any other car, using the motor to overpower the brakes for much more definitive motion.
I know what you mean regarding shifting in motion. However, in this situation I am at a standstill before I switch to R so that doesn't apply here. Good to know regarding the 2-pedal option!

I've had my model 3 do some strange behavior before (at lights/stop signs where there is a hill, and even in my driveway). I don't remember the specifics anymore, and have come to accept it happens sometimes, but last time it was something like i'd be backing out of my driveway downhill in reverse, then i would ease off the accelerator and come to a stop and then the car would actually move uphill forward a bit while I'm in reverse. I don't really remember exactly what it does anymore, but it does do minor things like this in certain conditions.

Why do people react with disagree? I'm just trying to understand the issue and it's quite frustrating to get people reacting with 'laugh' and 'disagree'. I love this car and recommend it to everyone but my biggest concern was the fanboyism I have heard about. Just because someone has an issue doesn't mean they are hating on the brand or something. Seriously... this is just the first time I've had an issue with a car I otherwise love and just wanted to know if anyone could shed some insight.
One, if there was a down thumb, it's gone now.
Two, laughing, is not necessarily negative. My usage is definitely not negative. I laugh easily, and so I often respond with a laugh. Humor is good for you. Some of us are laughing in sympathy.
Three, down thumbs on this site are extremely rare. If you've been lurking and reading this site, you'd know that a down thumb is rare. The site used to keep track of your thumbs, those given and received, and I rarely, maybe never, give down thumbs. Seems weird to me. This site is as tame as it gets on the internet, so the sensitivity seems a bit much. Maybe, over time you'll see what I mean. Rarely does anyone bite here, unlike other fora.
Four, what version of operating system were you using?
Five, did you do a hard reboot, ie, let the system sleep, since full resets require a hard reboot, ie system sleep.
Six, the car can be shifted while moving at speeds under 5mph. That is, if you are slowly rolling forward, you can shift into reverse, and vice versa. Won't harm the car and is in the manual. I would agree with others here that perhaps your flat floor, is not quite so flat. The car may be free-wheeling, before it reverses as you apply more throttle.
Seven, how to test the notion. Park the opposite direction, and see if it reverses before you pull forward.

Reactions: DocHolliday
One, if there was a down thumb, it's gone now.
Two, laughing, is not necessarily negative. My usage is definitely not negative. I laugh easily, and so I often respond with a laugh. Humor is good for you. Some of us are laughing in sympathy.
Three, down thumbs on this site are extremely rare. If you've been lurking and reading this site, you'd know that a down thumb is rare. The site used to keep track of your thumbs, those given and received, and I rarely, maybe never, give down thumbs. Seems weird to me. This site is as tame as it gets on the internet, so the sensitivity seems a bit much. Maybe, over time you'll see what I mean. Rarely does anyone bite here, unlike other fora.
Four, what version of operating system were you using?
Five, did you do a hard reboot, ie, let the system sleep, since full resets require a hard reboot, ie system sleep.
Six, the car can be shifted while moving at speeds under 5mph. That is, if you are slowly rolling forward, you can shift into reverse, and vice versa. Won't harm the car and is in the manual. I would agree with others here that perhaps your flat floor, is not quite so flat. The car may be free-wheeling, before it reverses as you apply more throttle.
Seven, how to test the notion. Park the opposite direction, and see if it reverses before you pull forward.
  1. Yea, the person who reacted with 'disagree' changed it to 'funny' later on.
  2. Could be, but the same two people who reacted with 'disagree' and 'laugh' initially also reacted with 'agree' and 'love' to first poster's skeptical response.
  3. It was the combination of the initial reaction along with the first comment asking me to 'prove it' which bothered me (when I wasn't trying to prove anything, just asking for help). That said, I wouldn't have cared so much except that it was on top of all the other negativity I have encountered from people I know since purchasing the vehicle. It's tiring how polarizing this brand can be. I simply bought the vehicle because I weighed the pros and cons and decided that it was the best option for me... and after owning it for a couple months I've loved it! 99% of the time I focus on that, but sometimes that 1% gets to me.
  4. 2022.12.3.1
  5. Soft reboot only.
  6. Definitely possible. Hard to tell for sure despite looking flat. Parking in the other direction is a good thought. Will be sure to try that out. Although at this point I'm not overly concerned about this issue any longer given the results I posted earlier (that the car did reverse after the initial couple inches of forward motion when I last tested it).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and oreobbq
Hiya it’s me, Gary Coleman. 😀 My bad for giving you a negative impression. I thought your post was well thought out and stated all the facts. In many, if not all cars, when shifting into gear on a surface that isn’t flat, gravity pulls at the car and you have to give it some throttle to go the other way. So I was skeptical but curious which is why I asked some clarifying questions.

I can't say I'm surprised by the polarizing reactions you've received to the car. Most of my interactions have been with folks who are curious about the performance and what living with an EV is like. Depends who you talk to I suppose.

Hi, I gave you an initial 'Disagree' but I wouldnt read into it to much as a 'negative' response. Sorry if you've perceived it that way.

I dont have much more to say then: yes, cars roll when they do not have brakes on (even if it's perceived to be flat). It's possible you gave enough push on the pedal for 'Hold' to disengage and not enough for the car to create momentum - thus rolling slightly with gravity.

If it's a software issue you have to collect a lot of good evidence 🤷‍♂️. (Which made me a bit skeptical seeing your initial post. I ment it as a polite disagreement.)

Last edited:
Reactions: NotForResale
I thought this was a fluke and was just going to ignore it, but it happened a second day in a row so I would like to understand what is happening.

Summary:
Yesterday I was pulling out of a tight spot and wanted to reverse. After switching into reverse (R) and slowly pressing on the accelerator, I started inching forwards instead of backwards. I repeated this a few times and this kept happening even after a software reboot and getting into and out of the car after switching to park (P). I verified with my passenger that I was in the correct gear and that the car was indeed moving forwards when in R. I've pulled out of this same spot 10+ times in the past without ever encountering this issue until yesterday and again today.

Details:
  1. I switched from D to R, then slowly pressed down on the accelerator. To my surprise, the car started moving forwards instead of reversing.
  2. I looked back at the gear selection and confirmed it was in R. I slowly pressed down on the accelerator and once again the car started inching forwards.
  3. I then switched to P and reset the car by holding down the two buttons on the steering wheel.
  4. After waiting for the car to reboot, I switched into R and pressed down on the accelerator for a third time. The car started moving forwards again...
  5. Now I was about 2 feet from the car in front of me and didn't want to risk it any further. I got out of the car to check the space and it looked like I had barely enough room to get around the car in front of me without reversing. So I switched into D, turned my wheel all the way to the side and pressed the accelerator. The car started moving forwards and I was barely able to get around.

Relevant info:
  • Occurrence 1 (Apr 28)
    • Surface: Flat
    • Stopping Mode: Hold
    • SoC: 84%
    • Exterior temperature: 51F (10.6C)
  • Occurrence 2 (Apr 29)
    • SoC: 75%
    • Exterior temperature: 56F (13.3C)
  • Occurrence 1 and 2 happened at the same location.

I tried looking this up and could mostly just find people with this issue from a software bug way back in 2019. Surely that does not apply now, so I have no idea what could be causing this. Any help understanding what causes this and especially what to do in this situation would be greatly appreciated.
This just happened to me today. Model 3. Car absolutely not rolling - it was responding to my accelerator. Car certainly in reverse. The only solution I found was to put it in drive, inch forward, then go back to reverse again which somehow reset it.

Reactions: Burnt Toast
This just happened to me today. Model 3. Car absolutely not rolling - it was responding to my accelerator. Car certainly in reverse. The only solution I found was to put it in drive, inch forward, then go back to reverse again which somehow reset it.

So, perhaps you are the first person to have this actually be the case, because none (zero) of the previous instances of incorrect pedal input have been borne out to actually be the case.

You should submit your information to the NHTSA, and be prepared for the intense scrutiny that would come with that claim. If its actually the case, you will likely go down in the history books as the person who proved this was the case.

With the above being said, I have no idea how you can say with certainty that " car absolutely not rolling" as if you know the actual slant of the road you were on from a micro level.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Are your wheels on backwards. ;)

Love to see a Video.

Try to think of the steps you did when you parked. If you did anything unusual in that location.
So, perhaps you are the first person to have this actually be the case, because none (zero) of the previous instances of incorrect pedal input have been borne out to actually be the case.

You should submit your information to the NHTSA, and be prepared for the intense scrutiny that would come with that claim. If its actually the case, you will likely go down in the history books as the person who proved this was the case.

With the above being said, I have no idea how you can say with certainty that " car absolutely not rolling" as if you know the actual slant of the road you were on from a micro level.

I know what you mean regarding shifting in motion. However, in this situation I am at a standstill before I switch to R so that doesn't apply here. Good to know regarding the 2-pedal option!
I've been researching this since it happened a few hours ago, I was so surprised.

Did you find out what was causing yours? I am nervous to park this anywhere where a surge forward would cause it to run into a wall.

And since the naysayers are coming out of the woodwork - yes, I can tell the difference between accelerating and rolling. Accelerating surges forward when the accelerator is pressed, and in a Tesla you can absolutely feel that powerful surge. That doesn't happen on flat ground. It's a good thing I wasn't facing a wall.

I understand that. However, I have already had to deal with friends and family who are Tesla haters and was hoping that I would have a warmer welcome among fellow Tesla owners.

Needless to say, I was discouraged by the initial reactions to my post. I felt like there was no one I could talk with regarding any issues with my car. Certainly not the haters, but not even fellow owners?

I hope that going forwards the people here who are quick to dismiss the concerns of a new poster may reconsider. It creates a negative feeling for new owners who have likely already had to deal with Tesla hate... and then have their first experience with fellow Tesla owners be likewise negative. In my original post I made a point not to sensationalize anything about the brand or vehicle. I just stated the objective facts of what I had encountered.

That said, I'm glad that after the initial reactions I did find people who were willing to take me seriously and try to help. I really appreciate it!
Ignore the haters. I'm here to tell you that, although this Tesla is still the best car I've ever owned and I love it and would buy it again hands down, this did just happen to me so you're not alone. (And no, there isn't video, but if it happens again I'll record it. Not for skeptical forum members but for Tesla app they can fix it.)

• Love
I've been researching this since it happened a few hours ago, I was so surprised.

Did you find out what was causing yours? I am nervous to park this anywhere where a surge forward would cause it to run into a wall.

And since the naysayers are coming out of the woodwork - yes, I can tell the difference between accelerating and rolling. Accelerating surges forward when the accelerator is pressed, and in a Tesla you can absolutely feel that powerful surge. That doesn't happen on flat ground. It's a good thing I wasn't facing a wall.
Oh, it looks like the link didn't go through. Search for "Tesla reverse going forward" and you'll see the article I mean.

Ignore the haters. I'm here to tell you that, although this Tesla is still the best car I've ever owned and I love it and would buy it again hands down, this did just happen to me so you're not alone. (And no, there isn't video, but if it happens again I'll record it. Not for skeptical forum members but for Tesla app they can fix it.)

Tesla wont need any video from you to prove or disprove this, they will have the cars logs. You should start by making that claim to them in a service ticket, and that you intend to file a NHTSA complaint over the car not obeying gear / accelerator input.

How is the log gonna know what direction the driver WANTED to go?

The claim here is that they had the car in reverse but the car moved forward, along with the claim that they "felt a powerful surge" and:

I am nervous to park this anywhere where a surge forward would cause it to run into a wall.

That description does not fit a couple inches rolling forward, so It seems to me that car logs should show a "powerful surge" going forward while the car was in reverse gear.

I thought this was a fluke and was just going to ignore it, but it happened a second day in a row so I would like to understand what is happening.

Summary:
Yesterday I was pulling out of a tight spot and wanted to reverse. After switching into reverse (R) and slowly pressing on the accelerator, I started inching forwards instead of backwards. I repeated this a few times and this kept happening even after a software reboot and getting into and out of the car after switching to park (P). I verified with my passenger that I was in the correct gear and that the car was indeed moving forwards when in R. I've pulled out of this same spot 10+ times in the past without ever encountering this issue until yesterday and again today.

Details:
  1. I switched from D to R, then slowly pressed down on the accelerator. To my surprise, the car started moving forwards instead of reversing.
  2. I looked back at the gear selection and confirmed it was in R. I slowly pressed down on the accelerator and once again the car started inching forwards.
  3. I then switched to P and reset the car by holding down the two buttons on the steering wheel.
  4. After waiting for the car to reboot, I switched into R and pressed down on the accelerator for a third time. The car started moving forwards again...
  5. Now I was about 2 feet from the car in front of me and didn't want to risk it any further. I got out of the car to check the space and it looked like I had barely enough room to get around the car in front of me without reversing. So I switched into D, turned my wheel all the way to the side and pressed the accelerator. The car started moving forwards and I was barely able to get around.

Relevant info:
  • Occurrence 1 (Apr 28)
    • SoC: 84%
    • Exterior temperature: 51F (10.6C)
  • Occurrence 2 (Apr 29)
    • SoC: 75%
    • Exterior temperature: 56F (13.3C)
  • Occurrence 1 and 2 happened at the same location.

I tried looking this up and could mostly just find people with this issue from a software bug way back in 2019. Surely that does not apply now, so I have no idea what could be causing this. Any help understanding what causes this and especially what to do in this situation would be greatly appreciated.
This happened to me in my 2022 Model 3. I was turning around and pulled into someone's driveway, put the car in reverse and the car inched forward. I was close to the garage door, the touch screen showed STOP. I tried a couple of times until my daughter said why don't you put it in park and then try again and that fixed it.

• Informative
Sorry I never responded to this. As others have suggested, it may be possible that the surface was not completely flat and consequently that the car was briefly rolling forward for the first couple seconds you were pressing the accelerator.

That said, I understand what you mean. The car did not feel the same as a typical 'free roll' when disengaging Hold. At least not in the same way that I'm sure you've encountered on obvious slopes in San Francisco. As in your case, my car only moved forward when the pedal was pressed (while in R), and the rate of forward motion felt correlated to the degree that the pedal was pressed (not simply rolling after Hold disengaged). When I would lift from the pedal, the car would slow to a stop (not abruptly engage hold like I've experienced on some steep inclines).

Whatever the cause, I have not encountered this issue again in over 2 months and 2000 miles since I last reported it on May 1st.

To anyone who may encounter this thread, please don't let it put you off. In the few cases which I have seen reported (myself included), it was only when applying slight pressure to the pedal from a standstill and moving very slowly (low risk situations). Combine that with the fact that this appears to be extremely uncommon... I wouldn't let this impact you. Absolutely love the car and have had no other issues in the 6 months I have owned the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2