Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not turning off or locking!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed occasionally that my MS would sometimes not turn off or lock while walking away, and of late it is doing it considerably more often..

If i open the drivers door prior to the passenger door opening and closing that when I close the driver door it has no effect on turning off the car. However if i then re-open and re-close the drivers door the displays turn off and the door locks upon walk away.

A couple of times i have come back out to my car and it is running and the doors are unlocked.

Anyone else had this issue and is it hardware of software?

From your description, it’s almost certainly a software issue. If what you described (with the sequence of door openings resulting in auto door lock not working) is repeatable then that’s very fortunate as you’ll be able to show Tesla what’s happening and aid their troubleshooting.

Have you tried rebooting? I’d start there with any software issue.

I wonder if it's related to the seat switch or seat weight sensor. Is anything resting on the seat or could cause it not to rise up when you get out? When you get out the first time try wiggling the driver seat or pushing on the center of it rigorously.

My model Y is being serviced now for something similar. The drivers seat always senses that someone is in it (you see the fasten seatbelt sign on the seat when it is empty). Because it thinks someone is in the driver seat, it doesn’t lock on walk away, doesn’t turn off the music and keeps the AC running. They are swapping out a new seat sensor.

Reactions: IronQQQ
My model Y is being serviced now for something similar. The drivers seat always senses that someone is in it (you see the fasten seatbelt sign on the seat when it is empty). Because it thinks someone is in the driver seat, it doesn’t lock on walk away, doesn’t turn off the music and keeps the AC running. They are swapping out a new seat sensor.

This is it to a tee. As mine isn't all the time it probably is a seat sensor that sometimes get stuck and takes a hew seconds for the seat senor to register the seat empty.

For you is this a trip to the service center or a ranger call?

I have the same issue as of this morning with my 2016 MS. Drivers side door is closed but software reports it is open. Doors will not lock and AC stays on. I noticed because my car alarm went off twice this morning after I took my daughter to school. software updated overnight.

I have noticed occasionally that my MS would sometimes not turn off or lock while walking away, and of late it is doing it considerably more often..

If i open the drivers door prior to the passenger door opening and closing that when I close the driver door it has no effect on turning off the car. However if i then re-open and re-close the drivers door the displays turn off and the door locks upon walk away.

A couple of times i have come back out to my car and it is running and the doors are unlocked.

This happened to me (second day of ownership), turned out that I had not stopped charging properly and only used the charging port unlock to remove the cable). When this happened the car would not turn off when I put in park and exited the vehicle, also would not lock via phone app, or turn off when using the touch screen in the car. Luckily, I tried going back to the charge, plugging in, and gracefully and properly stopping the charging and unlocking the port. Once complete everything worked as normal. Hope that helps!

This is happening to me. Did you ever get it fixed? How did you fix it?

This is happening to me. Did you ever get it fixed? How did you fix it?
I think I know what's happening. It's happened to me for years now. I have a 2018. I think it's a big problem if I'm right. I'm computer savvy, but not an engineer to say the least, but I think I may have put two and two together. This always happened at the same places. Can you let me know if this happens at the same places that you visit. For example: one consistent was my home, depending on how I parked my car. Another was at a place I visited often, again, depending on the where I parked. I just came up would rather let Tesla know before it becomes an TikTok robbery trick. lol. Because I constantly walk away from my car in hopes of it auto locking, whilst not looking at my car.