Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car OFF and ON with every door opening/closing. Reason?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title states. Is there a “good” reason why the car immediately turns off as soon as soon as you shut the door? It drives me a little insane when I’m getting in with my family and kids and close the doors to walk around to my side or maybe when I’m just putting something in my backseat etc....and the screens and everything stops and goes dark, AC shuts off as well as the streamed music keeps starting the song back at the beginning.
I have always wished it had at least a 1 minute delay before turning off.

Is there some logical reason I’m missing why it does this?

As the title states. Is there a “good” reason why the car immediately turns off as soon as soon as you shut the door? It drives me a little insane when I’m getting in with my family and kids and close the doors to walk around to my side or maybe when I’m just putting something in my backseat etc....and the screens and everything stops and goes dark, AC shuts off as well as the streamed music keeps starting the song back at the beginning.
I have always wished it had at least a 1 minute delay before turning off.

Is there some logical reason I’m missing why it does this?

What if I am putting something in the back seat that isn't a person? What if I am just putting a box back there or something and walking away? Last thing I would want is the car to stay on to keep the box cool and entertain it with music :).

But I agree that it would make more sense to leave the car on for some preset time (30s - 1 min) after a door close to wait to see if the driver seat sensor is activated. If the driver seat is activated, leave car ON. If the driver seat isn't activated after the timeout, go ahead and turn car OFF.

If it’s a safety thing...I can understand that i guess. In that case make it a short duration...maybe even 30 seconds is enough to walk around to the other door or open and put something in or out etc....
It’s been this way for so long on these cars I figured there must be a good reason. plus I don’t hear from owners complaining about it.

It doesn't know that you're walking around to open another door or open the rear hatch. If they had it stay on then people would be here complaining that the radio and A/C stays on after I park my car. It's wasting range or it's noisy in may garage or some such thing.

The answer would be to make it a selection like for the headlights to stay on after your Park. But how knows if/when that will be a thing.

Having owned MSs for almost 8 years now, I am in the habit of "cracking" my door as I'm walking by - just touch the handle so the door unlatches. Even if approaching from the rear I'll step past the rear door, touch the front handle, then go and help my kid into the backseat, load things into the rear, etc. As long as one door is open the car stays on. Also, now that my son is 9, he will reach forward from the back seat and touch the screen to wake it up and choose the music. This has the same effect.

Reactions: croman