Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Off in middle of the road!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

A few days ago my MX 75D, just a *month old*, went into 'Car Off' while waiting at the light just after getting of the freeway. Car full of family, tons of cars behind me, was no fun.

Car would not power on, move or shift.

After few seconds instrument panel went black, hazard lights would not work... opened window and tried to wave to others to pass me... :-(

After 3-5 minutes (seemed like eternity) the car started to crawl forward, which allowed me to clear the road and get to safety. IIRC, instrument panel was still off, and when it was on, it did not let me go to park or reverse. Was stuck in drive. Crazy.

I called tesla roadside assistance number, waited 5+ minutes. Finally they answered, asked me to do steering wheel + brake reset, power off from main display + 2 minute wait and another steering+brake reset.

At that point car came back to life.

Since I got the car I had to:
- steering reset it at least once a week since I lost audio (no turning signal audio, no radio, no nav)
- 2-3 times that the car showed "service" message after powering up then vanished after few seconds.
- ~5 times wait 20+ seconds for the car to power up (get in, see "car off"+"please wait to power on" message).
- Last few days I had the yellow triangle + dashed line in the power meter - mostly in the morning, might be colder weather. Not sure.

Car is running 2018.42.2 - I got it 1-2 days after it was release (so I guess 1.5-2 weeks ago?).

Anyone else bump into similar issues? is this "normal" or do I need to get car checked?

Very much appreciate any feedback or ideas!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hi,

A few days ago my MX 75D, just a *month old*, went into 'Car Off' while waiting at the light just after getting of the freeway. Car full of family, tons of cars behind me, was no fun.

Car would not power on, move or shift.

After few seconds instrument panel went black, hazard lights would not work... opened window and tried to wave to others to pass me... :-(

After 3-5 minutes (seemed like eternity) the car started to crawl forward, which allowed me to clear the road and get to safety. IIRC, instrument panel was still off, and when it was on, it did not let me go to park or reverse. Was stuck in drive. Crazy.

I called tesla roadside assistance number, waited 5+ minutes. Finally they answered, asked me to do steering wheel + brake reset, power off from main display + 2 minute wait and another steering+brake reset.

At that point car came back to life.

Since I got the car I had to:
- steering reset it at least once a week since I lost audio (no turning signal audio, no radio, no nav)
- 2-3 times that the car showed "service" message after powering up then vanished after few seconds.
- ~5 times wait 20+ seconds for the car to power up (get in, see "car off"+"please wait to power on" message).
- Last few days I had the yellow triangle + dashed line in the power meter - mostly in the morning, might be colder weather. Not sure.

Car is running 2018.42.2 - I got it 1-2 days after it was release (so I guess 1.5-2 weeks ago?).

Anyone else bump into similar issues? is this "normal" or do I need to get car checked?

Very much appreciate any feedback or ideas!

My wife had this same issue last week while she was in 5mph Bay Area traffic before getting on a bridge. Car just stopped after randomly showing the powering off message. It came back on eventually after she did a reset.

I drove the X for the next couple of days to test it out as well and 2 days later I had the random powering off message / screen black out etc but thankfully I was still able to stop and go out of the way of the city street traffic that I was in. After parking, when trying to navigate the center console screen the right falcon wing door opened randomly as I was only on the map screen.

I called roadside assistance who used to answer in under a minute but like you I had to wait 5+ minutes this time around. They had me perform a scroll wheel + brake reset and said there were no issues they could see on their end. I have a service appointment set up for this coming Monday but I’m reading that it may be hit or miss when they try and diagnose the issue. For the time being I don’t use the Bluetooth to stream music and I’m also not displaying the rear camera while driving with the thought that maybe this was a computer type glitch.

What were your conditions in the car when it powered off? Were you streaming/ rear camera on/ using the touch screen? I’m curious if there was a perfect storm of things going on that glitched our computer on wheels.

After parking, when trying to navigate the center console screen the right falcon wing door opened randomly as I was only on the map screen.

Since the most recent update (42.2) my left FWD has opened on its own, twice, shortly after closing it. It seemed to occur as I stepped on the brake pedal to close the driver's door/initiate PIN-to-drive.

It's been about ~4 days since the last occurance.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
xKRSx - When I got the 'car off' I might have been streaming using Tesla/Slacker - not sure. No rear view camera.
chudiddy - That's very interesting.

I have a road trip planned soon. Unlikely that I'll be able to schedule SC before the trip. Considering if I should take the MX or our other car :-( -- I think I will schedule a SC visit though so they can check the ground or any other issue.

Having said that, the 'car off' thing was a one off (so far) and apart from losing sounds (reset fixes it) the car was acting normally. I just try to 'power off' once every few days to keep it 'fresh'.

Anyone else bump into the 'Car Off' issue? take to SC and anything fixed?

xKRSx - When I got the 'car off' I might have been streaming using Tesla/Slacker - not sure. No rear view camera.
chudiddy - That's very interesting.

I have a road trip planned soon. Unlikely that I'll be able to schedule SC before the trip. Considering if I should take the MX or our other car :-( -- I think I will schedule a SC visit though so they can check the ground or any other issue.

Having said that, the 'car off' thing was a one off (so far) and apart from losing sounds (reset fixes it) the car was acting normally. I just try to 'power off' once every few days to keep it 'fresh'.

Anyone else bump into the 'Car Off' issue? take to SC and anything fixed?

This morning after reading and responding to this post and before leaving for work with the X I went ahead and did a reset. On my way to work (and while briefly fidgeting with my phone at a stop light) the radio made a high pitched glitch sound, paused, and then played again but more importantly the message 'power off' flashed on the dashboard screen. The car was still able to stop and go and so I just pulled into the nearest parking lot. I performed a brake+scroll wheel reset and the screens were laggy when they started up. The rear view camera was also choppy for a few seconds. Shortly afterwards though I was able to proceed back on my route to work. I'm thinking now its possibly a bad ground and/or a glitch while fidgeting with my connected phone.

This morning after reading and responding to this post and before leaving for work with the X I went ahead and did a reset. On my way to work (and while briefly fidgeting with my phone at a stop light) the radio made a high pitched glitch sound, paused, and then played again but more importantly the message 'power off' flashed on the dashboard screen. The car was still able to stop and go and so I just pulled into the nearest parking lot. I performed a brake+scroll wheel reset and the screens were laggy when they started up. The rear view camera was also choppy for a few seconds. Shortly afterwards though I was able to proceed back on my route to work. I'm thinking now its possibly a bad ground and/or a glitch while fidgeting with my connected phone.

Might have been the LTE There have been some issues with the LTE connection in my car here in Northern California over the last few days. You can tell because the LTE strength logo has a slash through it. When the digital came back on my radio also made a screeching sound before it started streaming music loudly.

Reactions: xKRSx
I just hope they release a bug fix version soon. The sound loss issue every other day is super irritating. Also it appears the car off issue might be cause by 42.2...

We got the 42.3 update Saturday night and so far so good on Sunday. SC appointment is later today (Monday) and I’ll update what they do/tell us. As a note though, my wife had the ‘power off’ with the car actually stopping (no acceleration) happen on Version 8. The other two times the car ‘powered off’ with the message but would still stop and go was with Version 9 (42.2).

Hoping it’s really just a software bug fixed with 42.3 and not anything more serious or mechanical.

Might have been the LTE There have been some issues with the LTE connection in my car here in Northern California over the last few days. You can tell because the LTE strength logo has a slash through it. When the digital came back on my radio also made a screeching sound before it started streaming music loudly.

Maybe related to all the fires, smoke?...

Since the most recent update (42.2) my left FWD has opened on its own, twice, shortly after closing it. It seemed to occur as I stepped on the brake pedal to close the driver's door/initiate PIN-to-drive.

It's been about ~4 days since the last occurance.

Yup, been happening to me too, but my right FWD opens now and then even without anyone inside or the fob being anywhere close! AI becoming self-aware perhaps!;)