Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car plugged in, charging starts randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, have a MS 75D with wall connector.

Anyone’s charger start and stop when the car is already at set charge. IE. Charge set to 70%. Charging finishes then a few hours or days later if still plugged in, the charger starts for a few seconds at low kw then stops. This happens every few hours. Thoughts?

I understand if SOC drops 3-5% the car will charge but in this case the car is still at the set level.

Mine started doing that too. It apparently is now topping it off after even a small drop in charge. Interestingly, it started right after I excluded my home for auto walk away locking. I don’t know if that was it or the update Itself that gave us that option. But, if you have the same setting, try deexcluding your home for auto lock and see if that changes things.

The car uses power even when it is not being driven, and that power comes from the battery. You would think that they would draw power from the wall, but that is not practical. The "random" charging replaces the power that was lost while idle. Primarily, that would be used for acquiring a cellular signal, waiting for remote signals, and powering the computer.

It is safe for the battery and nothing to be concerned about.

Yes, my car has been doing this since May, right after update 2020.16.2.1 e99c70fff409

Setting the charge limit lower stops it from doing this

upload_2020-8-11_15-46-11.png

upload_2020-8-11_15-47-40.png

Obviously it shouldn't be doing that, but the other obvious solution is to just set it for a scheduled charging time. It will run once per day at 1 AM or whatever, and then no matter if it drops after that, it will wait until the next scheduled time to do a recharge cycle again.