Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Scent/Air Freshener ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla Model 3 around October, for a little while my Tesla had the new car scent but recently I started noticing the smell fading away. I live in Canada so when it snows all the dirty snow gets in the car which leaves a distinct smell. Tesla's don't have any air vents that you can clip air fresheners onto, so I was wondering if you guys had any goto car fresheners that I can use in my Tesla Model 3 for a reasonable price? The ones I saw on Amazon were 100$ + for a pack of four.

Actually the car does have two places you can clip these...

a. front drivers side footwell (peak past your steering column, above the pedals and you will see a little normal looking grate of the footwell vent.

b. rear seat center console vent
(turn the rear vent circ on from time to time)

I'd recommend something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZJDKHT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_EAVV0KEK3TGRWRX0M435

I have a very cheap way and effective way of freshening the air. Take a small empty spray bottle. Fill half of it with water and the other half with either Fabuloso or Pine Sol cleaner. With the car parked and the air fan on, open the frunk and spray 4 or 5 sprays into the air intake just below the windshield on the passenger side. Damp leaves or gunk can accumulate on or even just inside the air intake. So if this happens remove the top cover of the air intake and use a clean microfiber with some of the spray solution to clean the inside of the air intake and the cover as well.

Actually the car does have two places you can clip these...

a. front drivers side footwell (peak past your steering column, above the pedals and you will see a little normal looking grate of the footwell vent.

b. rear seat center console vent
(turn the rear vent circ on from time to time)

I'd recommend something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZJDKHT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_EAVV0KEK3TGRWRX0M435
Oh really? Could link me with a few pictures or video links to where it is. I wasn't able to find it when I checked. Thanks for the feedback!

I have a very cheap way and effective way of freshening the air. Take a small empty spray bottle. Fill half of it with water and the other half with either Fabuloso or Pine Sol cleaner. With the car parked and the air fan on, open the frunk and spray 4 or 5 sprays into the air intake just below the windshield on the passenger side. Damp leaves or gunk can accumulate on or even just inside the air intake. So if this happens remove the top cover of the air intake and use a clean microfiber with some of the spray solution to clean the inside of the air intake and the cover as well.
That's a pretty smart solution, I might have to try that. Thanks for the feedback!

Oh really? Could link me with a few pictures or video links to where it is. I wasn't able to find it when I checked. Thanks for the feedback!
I'm too old to go digging down there but its fairly easy to just reach down and see yourself... or if your arms are long enough, feel past the steering wheel and above the pedals.
The general area is right against the center console and above the 'go' pedal. Cant miss it. You will see a generic looking plastic grate covering the vent.

I have never tried this, but I saw this a few weeks ago.
A discreet and re-usable Tesla Model 3/Y air freshener

I’m thinking you could use a sponge dipped in essential oil/freshener of your choice and tape it to the air intake that Joe described above (I.e. remove top cover and tape it on the inside of the air intake).

I use an air freshener called "drift". use my link for a dicount!!! wood air freshener that looks nice and smells great for about 2 months. and the scents rotate/change. it's pretty awesome!

(moderator note: removed link... referral links are not allowed on TMC)

Last edited by a moderator:
My nose is pretty sensitive to scents and things, so I’m in the same kind of dilemma. Perfumes and such give me an instant headache. You can imagine how delicate that conversation was decades ago when my wife and I first started dating ... “Hey, I really really like you but can you not try to smell nice?”

It’s coming up on 2 years now with my Model 3, so any semblance of new car scent is gone... I want a clean smelling car but without something pungent.

Any recommendations? Any of these really subtle? More interested in an odor remover than adding anything to the air, if that makes sense.

My nose is pretty sensitive to scents and things, so I’m in the same kind of dilemma. Perfumes and such give me an instant headache. You can imagine how delicate that conversation was decades ago when my wife and I first started dating ... “Hey, I really really like you but can you not try to smell nice?”
I'm with you on that one, yet long ago I discovered it was a benefit. Going ashore on liberty in the Navy while overseas, it was the one of the things that kept me away from all those $8 prostitutes :eek: You could smell that cheap perfume miles away :p

• Funny
Reactions: dmurphy
"new car smell" to me smells like what it is, off gassing plastics and other materials (lol). I cant stand it, personally. Smell is something very personal, though. More proof that @dmurphy and I must be clones of each other, on different coasts, I have the same "sensitivity to smells" that you mention, and had a similar discussion after I had started dating my (girlfriend at the time, now wife).

It helped that I found out later that she was relieved because she didnt normally wear perfume and was doing so "for me". We were both 18 at the time, and now we are in our 50s and have been together the whole time.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy