Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car seat details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure you can fit 3 across in the rear. You can push the seat out a little more on each side but it would be hard with the latch anchors.
Legroom is not bad for the passenger. Obviously you will want to get the angle adjuster for the Diono's. Also I ended up purchasing this to put against the top of the car seat to prevent the car seat from putting indentations into the headrest (Armacell Tubolit 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Polyethylene Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation-OES07838 - The Home Depot)

That makes sense regarding the LATCH system. I suppose if you move the car seats farther out then they may not align well with the LATCH anchors...

You'll gain a lot of space by using the seatbelt vs the LATCH connectors. I know because I've compared my 2 Radian R100's in my current car (Acura TSX). Makes a pretty big difference, in fact.

In the TSX, if I put a seat in the middle first and then use it to shore up the other 2 seats, I can just barely fit 3 across. I believe the Model 3 has more space in the back, but it's hard to say definitively due to the variances in how these things are measured/reported.

side note: something I recently discovered, myself: You should not be using the LATCH anchors with the Radian if your kid weighs more than 40 lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: PaulJB
fixed that for you.

Not necessarily true. The Tesla Model 3 owner's manual says that the LATCH weight limit(when forward facing) is 65 pounds - and that 65 pounds includes both the weight of the child AND the weight of the seat. Obviously different seats will have different weights. It's entirely possible to use LATCH with a kid as heavy as 45 or 50 pounds if the seat itself is relatively lighter so as not to exceed the 65 pound weight limit.

I'm not sure you can fit 3 across in the rear. You can push the seat out a little more on each side but it would be hard with the latch anchors.

Even in really wide cars with lots of rear space it is often necessary to forgo the use of LATCH and instead use the seatbelt install method. It really does provide SO MUCH more room to work with by shifting the outer carseats closer to the doors of the vehicle.

There are soom good generic tips here:
You are being redirected...

Got my 3 today, 3 car seats in the rear would be challenging. Here are some photos of my Clek Foonf's which are fairly narrow. Putting the kids in wasn't easy.

Attachments

• IMG_8739-1.jpeg
    IMG_8739-1.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_8738-1.jpeg
    IMG_8738-1.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 317
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Shygar and PaulJB
Here are photos showing measurement between two front-facing Diono Radian RXT carseats, which are quite narrow car seats. Also a shot of the leg room (ample). I'd love to fit some sort of booster seat in between those two, but don't think it's feasible at the moment. My oldest is small and can fit himself in between those two seats, but not sure if a booster can safely fit there given the dimensions.

The car seats on the left is secured with a lap belt, and the one on the right is LATCH.

If I tried to push the two seats further apart, the one connected with LATCH would be quite misaligned from the center of the LATCH connections.

KDB1leHbRoWSbiiMuHsTKA.jpg xL5bDusoQOyAQVKWvikJCg.jpg ibqoCr4ERneLttzKNbl0fQ.jpg

Here are photos showing measurement between two front-facing Diono Radian RXT carseats, which are quite narrow car seats. Also a shot of the leg room (ample). I'd love to fit some sort of booster seat in between those two, but don't think it's feasible at the moment. My oldest is small and can fit himself in between those two seats, but not sure if a booster can safely fit there given the dimensions.

The car seats on the left is secured with a lap belt, and the one on the right is LATCH.

If I tried to push the two seats further apart, the one connected with LATCH would be quite misaligned from the center of the LATCH connections.

View attachment 273453 View attachment 273454 View attachment 273455
Thanks for the pics.

Still looks like it miiiiight be possible to squeeze three of these in, if belts are used all around for the installs. It would certainly be tight though.

I have a 2012 Prius. The model 3 is 2 inches wider in the backseat than my Prius. However, my understanding is that there is only 2 sets of latch attachments in the model 3. For reference, my Prius has none, it is all dependent on the seatbelts.

For perspective, I have two daughters who are mature adults at this time. When they were young, we put them in simple booster seats in the back seat, strapped in with seatbelts. Expensive car seats were not available at that time. They quickly adjusted to the seatbelt routine and did not protest in the slightest. Sometimes I think today's child safety issues are driven by corporate marketing and profit when a low tech, inexpensive alternative is equally safe.

your 2012 Prius definitely has LATCH.

View attachment 271750 Found this on Reddit. Person who posted it measured 10” between the seats, and claims those are both 17” wide seats (though they do look bulky to me). 17” is same width as Radian’s narrowest seats.

Kind of discouraging for the prospects of fitting 3 across... though squeezing a seat in the middle might push the seats out enough to fit all 3... thoughts?

those poor headrests!!!

can the anchor go under or around the headrest instead of squishing it?

View attachment 271750 Found this on Reddit. Person who posted it measured 10” between the seats, and claims those are both 17” wide seats (though they do look bulky to me). 17” is same width as Radian’s narrowest seats.

Kind of discouraging for the prospects of fitting 3 across... though squeezing a seat in the middle might push the seats out enough to fit all 3... thoughts?

Ouch on those headrests. Makes my head hurt. OM says just wrap the strap around the headrests.

View attachment 273453 View attachment 273454 View attachment 273455

@tsw4life This is very helpful. The use of the lap belt on the left car seat really allows for the seat to be shifted to the outside a decent amount, such that its quite noticeable in the pictures. I think if a person used no LATCH connections (and seatbelts only), 3 across the back could be possible if at least one of the seats is rear-facing (to allow some overlap of max width). It may not be possible with 3 Radians, but maybe a combination of Radians and other narrow seats.

@tsw4life and @MonsterCarter I know that installing car seats is a hassle, but for the sake of science, would either (or both!?!) of you mind attempting an install of the car seats using only the seat belts (i.e. forgo LATCH connections) and moving the seats as far out as you think (subjectively) safe/reasonable, so that we might see what the max center space could look like under this condition. You two provide a fairly optimal example as Diono Radians and Clek Foonfs are two of the more well known narrow car seats. If you do, take pictures!

No pressure, just thought I'd ask... :)

If anyone can fit 3 across in the back and take a picture, I have one "like" to offer. It'll incrementally boost your internet fame, and maybe even your morale.

All joking aside, I would be very grateful for such a pic because I am thinking about it way more than I should be. Don't have access to a Model 3 yet, sadly.