Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Seat triggers seat belt warning (8.0 changes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to let the car know that the weight in a middle row seat is actually a car seat? My X has always detected the weight there and wanted the seat belt buckled (this car seat is connected via LATCH), but in 8.0, it now displays the non-buckled seat belt on the left display all the time, so I can't see anything on that display. Any way to let it know that the unbucked belt is normal?

Try re-installing your car seats by securing the LATCH more / less. I have 2 car seats with both kids seated in the middle row without warning after 8.0 update.

So uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. I didn't try less right since I need the seat to be safely installed with less than 1 inch of wiggle. I took out the child seat and buckled the shoulder strap in and then installed on top of it using LATCH and the warning has gone away. Seats worked as before so it is a solution until they allow you to turn off the warning.

• Helpful
Reactions: FarmerDave
So uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. I didn't try less right since I need the seat to be safely installed with less than 1 inch of wiggle. I took out the child seat and buckled the shoulder strap in and then installed on top of it using LATCH and the warning has gone away. Seats worked as before so it is a solution until they allow you to turn off the warning.
I had to do the same thing as you to get it to go away as well. A bug that will certainly be resolved in the coming updates.

Reactions: Gymee
Is everyone in this thread using a seat protector under the car seat? I wonder if there's something going on with weight distribution. maybe the seat protector distributes weight more so no occupant detected. I have two latch connected seats with seat protectors and have never had the occupancy sensors triggered.

Is everyone in this thread using a seat protector under the car seat? I wonder if there's something going on with weight distribution. maybe the seat protector distributes weight more so no occupant detected. I have two latch connected seats with seat protectors and have never had the occupancy sensors triggered.
Possible, as I have seat protectors under both car seats as well. I don't have the issue.

I figured it out. The warning will trigger if the seat detects more than 65 lbs of pressure from the seat, child and LATCH:
From the Model X Owner's Manual:
If combined weight of child and safety seat is up to 65 lbs (29 kg), attach using either LATCH** (both lower anchors and top tether anchor), or the seat belt and upper tether strap.*** If combined weight of child and safety seat is over 65 lbs (29 kg), attach using the seat belt and upper tether strap.***

They recommend attaching using the seat belt when the pressure is over 65lbs, which will, of course, also silence the warning.

I figured it out. The warning will trigger if the seat detects more than 65 lbs of pressure from the seat, child and LATCH:
From the Model X Owner's Manual:

They recommend attaching using the seat belt when the pressure is over 65lbs, which will, of course, also silence the warning.
I get the warning with my diono radian which is less than 65lbs and even if my child is not in the seat. I use a seat protector and have the exact same model in the third row where I do not get a warning. It is possible though that I didn't pull the straps as hard in the third row seat (and yes I love my children equally and am not trying to sabotage one of them ;))

I get the warning with my diono radian which is less than 65lbs and even if my child is not in the seat. I use a seat protector and have the exact same model in the third row where I do not get a warning. It is possible though that I didn't pull the straps as hard in the third row seat (and yes I love my children equally and am not trying to sabotage one of them ;))

Yeah, I get the warning too with no kid and a relatively light seat, but my seat is pulled pretty hard into the LATCH hooks. (I sat on it with my full weight and pulled.) Either way, clicking in the seat belt fixed the problem for me.

Had the same problem, and I can confirm that it’s a matter of how tight the strap is pulled. I went to a local police station to check the car seats, and they recommended the “kneel into the base, while pulling” method to tighten it. With this method, there’s enough pressure to set-off the 65lbs warning sensor. Strapping the car seat belt fixes the problem. Car seat installation manuals don’t instruct people to sit on the base as you tighten, so whether or not it’s tightened enough to trigger the sensor depends on various factors.