Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash for S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of owners would agree that two bucket wash method is the best. Two weeks into my new MS, they got a scratch on it at the car wash. Never gone back. Bought a power washer from Amazon and got the chemical guy setup. For sure get the Chemical guys honeydew scent and foam canon combo. For powerwasher I got an electric one 2100 psi.

I purchased the Chemical Guys Foam Canon and Foam Wash. When I use it, the foam goes on, but does not stay. I do not use a pressurized system, just standard water pressure. I'm assuming my problem is low pressure. Could it be something else??

I recently got an electric powerwasher(1.2 gpm, 2300 psi), and a MTM foam canon. I also use the ONR and the two bucket method. I have noticed that when I pre-rinse and foam with the canon before using the ONR, the rinse bucket stayed clean. So clean in fact, that I decided to skip the 2nd bucket and just have the bucket of ONR. The pre-rinse and foam with the power washer will get 90% to 95% of the dirt off before you ever touch the car. Its great for blasting bugs and bird poop off the car.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I purchased the Chemical Guys Foam Canon and Foam Wash. When I use it, the foam goes on, but does not stay. I do not use a pressurized system, just standard water pressure. I'm assuming my problem is low pressure. Could it be something else??
Yes, unfortunately the foam cannons that are designed to go with a normal hose/nozzle don't generate really thick foam. Best is a gas powerwasher, but those are pricey. I bought a cheaper electric one at Home Depot that works pretty well and much better than just the garden hose pressure.

I recently got an electric powerwasher(1.2 gpm, 2300 psi), and a MTM foam canon. I also use the ONR and the two bucket method. I have noticed that when I pre-rinse and foam with the canon before using the ONR, the rinse bucket stayed clean. So clean in fact, that I decided to skip the 2nd bucket and just have the bucket of ONR. The pre-rinse and foam with the power washer will get 90% to 95% of the dirt off before you ever touch the car. Its great for blasting bugs and bird poop off the car.

My pressure washer can mix-in soap so what I do is pressure wash, foam cannon attachment, then pressure rinse with the lowest mix-in setting, putting a little diluted ONR into the rinse mixture. It’s perfect.

I would recommend looking at Griot's Garage products. I bought a foam gun from Amazon because theirs is too expensive but I use their products. They have videos, reviews etc. Take a look. I do not use the no-water wash but they have couple of products to spray and wipe, very good.

Copy Pasta from another thread.

Dont do carwash!!

Order these things:
1x
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG9FK2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3x
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8MZ7IA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OA66IGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TJXWH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Uses only 2 gallons of water. Can wash in your garage, if you have one, to stay out of the sun from drying the water.

Use the ONR and the bucket. Use the 4 fold method on the MF towels. One flat side of the towel per panel. Never dip the towel back into the bucket. Just use a new MF towel.

Use other MF towels to dry the car off.

Use the special soap to wash your towels in your clothes washer. Dry on low heat or hang dry.

Quick, easy, saves water, works very well.

Shout out to @P85_DA for telling me about this method.
Marking this for future purchase , thanks !

Pressure is one thing. Try also playing around with the amount of soap you are putting into the foam canon. I also use warm water and shake it bit before using. But you will for sure get better foam with a pressure washer.

If it hooks up to a garden hose, its a foam gun. I started out with one of those. I'm thinking about selling mine now. Those just don't put enough air into the mix to make it light and foamy, so gravity will pull the suds off the car quickly. The suds from a foam cannon hooked up to a pressure washer are more light a fluffy, and will dwell longer on the paint on vertical surfaces, and carry away more dirt and grime.
If you want the suds to stay on there as long as possible, don't wet the car first, and spray the foam just enough to cover the car.
But I like to give it a good rinse first with just water thru the pressure washer, then hit it with the foam. My thinking is that if I pre-wet the dirt remaining on the car, the foam will attack it more, and do a better job of removing it.
If you do get a foam canon and a pressure washer, be aware that foam canons need a certain pressure and flow rate to work optimally. Some foam canons have a replacement orifice that you can install to make them work better with electric power washers that have a lower flow rate and psi rating.

My new S is due this week and I was curious: I currently use a drive-thur car wash that has a moving brush system. Any advice on such for the S (I have unlimited use)?

I do not believe there is a right answer to your question.

I am a weekend detailing hack and spend 3-6 hours on my car on the weekends. I machine polish it once or twice a year, it has NEVER seen the inside of any car wash (touchless or other), but do I think what I do is feesible for others? Hell no.

I have friends with black cars that are swirled messes and yet after they run it through the wash, they see nothing but sparkling beauty. If whatever you choose makes you happy, all the power to you.