Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash: How to keep charge door closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Before we begin.

1. I searched but didn’t come up with exactly my situation.

2. You can wash your cars with baby unicorn skin. I usually take mine to the very good local car wash.

Close to me there’s a car wash of the style where the car goes on tracks like an auto, but inside the tunnel are people that hand wash it. I’d like to know how I can keep the charge port closed other than walking through the tunnel in a rain jacket explaining to everyone not to wash the drivers side rear taillight. When they push/wipe the unicorn sponges they end up activating the charge port to open. Things get crazy.

Last time they said they know how to put it into neutral mode no problem, there are a ton if Tesla’s near me. They used the card key and all was good. My son and I looked through the glass as it was washed. He used the spray gun to help clean. [He’s 4]. My phone was on airplane mode so it didn’t mess with anything. It rolled through no problem. They wipe over the port and boom it opens. Gallons of water fall in. I’m like OMFG call the fire department. lol. [inside voice]. I scramble to take airplane mode off my phone, dropping it in someone’s bowl of soup. I grab it, lick the chicken fat off, open up the app, connect to the car, press the close port button. The car reaches the end of the magic track and now the door is locked because I connected to it. Insane. They dry the car. It looks more than perfect. I leave with my kid. They call and say “you forgot your laptop.” I go get laptop. I leave again [this part happened]. Insane.

So how can I do this better? There must be a way. I could put painters tape on the port though I’m not sure of the opening mechanism. That could brake it when it tries to open and can’t depending on how it’s built. Is there any way to lock the port in this situation without locking the doors? What’s the best practice here. I haven’t gone back in months. My car is black and as dirty as my wife so I’d like to get it washed up now that the rain has stopped.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up and Cely
Before we begin.

1. I searched but didn’t come up with exactly my situation.

2. You can wash your cars with baby unicorn skin. I usually take mine to the very good local car wash.

Close to me there’s a car wash of the style where the car goes on tracks like an auto, but inside the tunnel are people that hand wash it. I’d like to know how I can keep the charge port closed other than walking through the tunnel in a rain jacket explaining to everyone not to wash the drivers side rear taillight. When they push/wipe the unicorn sponges they end up activating the charge port to open. Things get crazy.

Last time they said they know how to put it into neutral mode no problem, there are a ton if Tesla’s near me. They used the card key and all was good. My son and I looked through the glass as it was washed. He used the spray gun to help clean. [He’s 4]. My phone was on airplane mode so it didn’t mess with anything. It rolled through no problem. They wipe over the port and boom it opens. Gallons of water fall in. I’m like OMFG call the fire department. lol. [inside voice]. I scramble to take airplane mode off my phone, dropping it in someone’s bowl of soup. I grab it, lick the chicken fat off, open up the app, connect to the car, press the close port button. The car reaches the end of the magic track and now the door is locked because I connected to it. Insane. They dry the car. It looks more than perfect. I leave with my kid. They call and say “you forgot your laptop.” I go get laptop. I leave again [this part happened]. Insane.

So how can I do this better? There must be a way. I could put painters tape on the port though I’m not sure of the opening mechanism. That could brake it when it tries to open and can’t depending on how it’s built. Is there any way to lock the port in this situation without locking the doors? What’s the best practice here. I haven’t gone back in months. My car is black and as dirty as my wife so I’d like to get it washed up now that the rain has stopped.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Dang bro, funniest post I've seen in a while although my heart breaks for you.
Meanwhile, you've made me grateful that the little magnet on the underside of the charge door fell off my car about a year ago and I haven't bothered to have it replaced.
Because without that magnet, you can touch the charge port door all you want, the damn thing won't budge.
So, you could rip that magnet off I guess.

Before I have mobile service put the magnet back on, I gotta learn how your car wash mystery is solved because I too use the regular car wash out of love and respect for baby unicorns.

Dang, sorry to hear that!! We have a very similar car wash here, and thankfully the port didn’t pop open .... but they insisted I stay in the car thru the tunnel. It was weird watching them wash the car while I sat inside. No idea how to secure the charging port except for me to be in the car with a finger over the button.

Is it even openable with someone in the drivers’ seat? I should check that. Maybe that’s why they sent me thru the wash too - would make sense if so!

Reactions: phantasms
Dang bro, funniest post I've seen in a while although my heart breaks for you.
Meanwhile, you've made me grateful that the little magnet on the underside of the charge door fell off my car about a year ago and I haven't bothered to have it replaced.
Because without that magnet, you can touch the charge port door all you want, the damn thing won't budge.

Very interesting!!! So hmmmm what small flat material can I place over where the magnet touches, greatly diminishing the field, to temporarily prevent touch to open from working?

Dang, sorry to hear that!! We have a very similar car wash here, and thankfully the port didn’t pop open .... but they insisted I stay in the car thru the tunnel. It was weird watching them wash the car while I sat inside. No idea how to secure the charging port except for me to be in the car with a finger over the button.

Is it even openable with someone in the drivers’ seat? I should check that. Maybe that’s why they sent me thru the wash too - would make sense if so!

Funny enough I asked if I could ride through but they said no and insisted it would be all good. I damn near wanted to park the car outside the garage and far from the house that night! lol I can attest to the fact that Tesla put in a very good drainage system in the charge port. lol