Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will not open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from my wife today while she was out shopping. She couldn't get our Y to unlock. Phone key doesn't work, nor does the card key. My first thought was reboot the car, obviously that was not an option. I asked her what did her phone show. She said connecting, and it showed that the whole time she was trying to get it to unlock.. Apparently the phone couldn't connect for some reason, but why wouldn't the card key work?
The only thing I could think of, other than call for a tow, was reboot the phone. She did and then it connected. She said this happened again the next time she parked. We had it out after she got home with me driving and no problems. Don't want to worry about this especially since the card key did not work.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, didn't think of bluetooth. I guess rebooting the phone accomplished the same thing.
Roadside Assistance would have been my next move. Glad she didn't have to use it.
Still worries me about the card key not working. Maybe the process for the phone and car to connect froze and that also tied up the process for the card to work.

.... Don't want to worry about this especially since the card key did not work.
Any thoughts?

An external electronic contact unable to open the MY is one thing, the card key failure is a whole other kettle of fish. That is something you ought to look into, IMHO.

Were you able to try your key when her key failed?

In any case I'd bring the MY back to the mother-ship, just because.

Rich

I was not with her to try my key. She said it worked a couple stops after the original occurrence, then one last stop she again could not unlock the car. Rebooting her phone got it to unlock both times.
I was thinking that maybe since the card is paired with the phone once the phone connection got bollixed it caused the card to not work.
I am debating whether or not to take it to the SC. I normally don't enjoy visits to dealership's service departments. Although Tesla's dealerships are different, I did not have a good experience the one and only time I visited my local SC.

I was not with her to try my key. She said it worked a couple stops after the original occurrence, then one last stop she again could not unlock the car. Rebooting her phone got it to unlock both times.
I was thinking that maybe since the card is paired with the phone once the phone connection got bollixed it caused the card to not work.
I am debating whether or not to take it to the SC. I normally don't enjoy visits to dealership's service departments. Although Tesla's dealerships are different, I did not have a good experience the one and only time I visited my local SC.

The card issue is not typical of the bluetooth connectivity loss. The card does not work on bluetooth or through the phone, so it would not cause that issue. Many occasions I've had to use my card when I did not want to fool with the bluetooth settings on the phone, and I have the card in my back pocket anyway...never a problem with the card not working.

You might try the card by itself to make sure it is properly paired with the car (I'm assuming after restarting the phone the card was not tried again).

Got an answer as to why the card did not work. arnolddeleon made me think that I better have my wife show me where she was placing her card. Sure enough it was operator error. She thought the translucent circle on the b pillar was where you place the card. She didn't know it was for the camera. My mistake was I thought we went over this (we did).
Thanks for all of the replies.

Reactions: house9 and alexcue
My first thought as I was reading this post was- did the Mrs. ever try the keycard before this incident? On the back side of the card it actually illustrates correct card placement IIRC. As primary drivers, it is on us to "check out" all other drivers before letting them drive our vehicles.