Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Door Sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
This set on Ebay

TESLA MOTORS CARBON FIBER DOOR SILLS FOR ROADSTER:eBay Motors (item 280392086828 end time Oct-01-09 09:22:43 PDT)

Smart 4 Cars

Item number: 280392086828
Item location: Van Nuys, CA, United States
Ships to: United States
Payments:
PayPal See details
History: 1 sold

Replace your factory plastic/rubber Tesla Roadster door sills with new ones made from carbon fiber. This is NOT a carbon fiber sticker or overlay! These door sills have been recreated completely in carbon fiber from an excact mold of the factory door sills.

The carbon fiber door sills truly enhance the overall interior look of your car without having to look at the scrapes and scuff marks that your factory door sills show. These are easy to maintain and install within 5 minutes!

To remove your factory door sills simply start pulling them up from the back portion of the door sill where the door latches (not where they meet the dash). They are installed with velcro so dont be afraid to pull up. They will not break. After you have lifted the rear section pull them up from underneath where they fit under the front portion of the dash area.

To install follow the same procedure but in reverse. Please call me at 310.920.5454
if you have any further questions.

I was wondering today if it was possible to get "Paint Armor" decals (that is what they are) for the doorsills (regular or CF version) to prevent scratching and wear. Even if it did scratch a little over time, you could replace the decals a heck of a lot more cheaply than new sills.

Ooo! I wonder if they are truly scuff resistent (which is not a given with CF) or there will be the same problems in a few months with them as well.

The carbon fiber has clear coat applied on top ot it. If you scuff them then it can most of the time be buffed out. The factory ones get scuffed just by looking at them the wrong way and cannot be buffed,

You can put the same 3M paint armor on the CF door sills to protect them.

Tesla Motors will sell the CF door sill as a stand alone item.
I was told $1,000. Then the 3M plastic that is used on the exterior of the cars is less than $50.

It looks really good after it is done.

You can put the same 3M paint armor on the CF door sills to protect them.

Tesla Motors will sell the CF door sill as a stand alone item.
I was told $1,000. Then the 3M plastic that is used on the exterior of the cars is less than $50.

It looks really good after it is done.

I have checked with the Tesla showroom in L.A. on several occasions including yesterday and I always get the same response. Yes will sell them separately but we do not have an eta or a price?

I would not plave 3M protectant vinyl on the stock (non CF) door sills. You could, but if you ever wanted to replace it, it would pull off the finish on the sill. I would imagine that buying new sills would be a better move.

Also, when you replace non-CF door sills with CF there is that transition line where the sill becomes the vertical dash piece, and in my opinion it looks like an aquard transition when it is CF to non CF. So then I would have to get the vertical pieces in CF and then...and then...and then...

So like I said before...when they get bad, buy new ones.

I just installed my carbon fiber door sills from Al & Eds West Hollywood. They do look sharp (much better than what was there originally). I did have to shave off these little plastic clips where the door sills insert towards the front of the car to make the door sills fit. I'm not sure if that clip is a new addition to the Roadster, since Al & Eds didn't seem to have that issue before. Nonetheless, they did provide very good service, and it was a pleasure dealing with them. I do like these door sills better than the ones I saw on the factory models, since they are all carbon fiber, and the factory ones appear to still have a section of the original plastic in them.

... I do like these door sills better than the ones I saw on the factory models, since they are all carbon fiber, and the factory ones appear to still have a section of the original plastic in them.

The factory CF door sills do have a plastic section (I'm pretty sure it is a harder, and maybe darker colored, plastic than on the base sills, based on looking at my old base sills and my CF sills which came later). I wish Tesla would have gone with all CF sills also; maybe I'll eventually get some from Al & Eds also.

You must not realize this is a 100k car

If I may speak for William3... It's not that he believed that they should cost $8.46 to replace (literal), but that on this $100K car how could they put a part that seems as though it cost $8.46 (sarcastic). And if that is what he meant, I concur & is why I replaced mine with the Carbon Fiber from Day # 2 (day # 1 I had to validate what others were saying about the cheap gray plastic).

Well from my experience taking these apart... The Roadster's door sills are made out of expanding foam, very cheap and brittle. I broke a set removing them, and another set was broken by sitting on them by the customer. They were replaced with my CF ones :)

Anyways, the Roadster Sport has plastic door sills. Better quality but still easy to brake since they are two panels joined together with ABS plastic clips. They'll collapse before cracking but its easier to replace them than to put them back together. I'll snap some pics later from the ones I have at the shop if anybody is interested in seeing how the Sport ones are made.