Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Skinning Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About time to unveil the cf. Here's a sneak peek.
IMG_3057.JPG

Well here it is. I've been a little busy on other things. I completely covered the top center frunk piece in carbon fiber. Yes even the honeycomb for the air vent. I filled in the underside of the air vent with black dyed epoxy so light wouldn't shine through the carbon fiber weave. The opening underneath for the air vent is much larger than the honeycomb on the top of the frunk piece. So what I did was cut out the word Tesla in the largest letters I could. I am using the letter cutouts as my new air flow opening. The letters extend from one end to the other of the vent opening underneath. I then bought a small piece of polycarbonate sheet and sprayed it with frosted glass in a spray can. I then mounted it to the back of the frunk piece. My plan from the start was to have the letters light up red. They wouldn't have shown very well if it was just an opening. Worried about sufficient air flow? I've got that covered. The frosted sheet is tilted at an angle under the letters. Trust me, there is plenty of airflow. I've had this piece sone for months now. I just haven't gotten around to installing the lighting. I did both the red lighting for the letters and the white frunk lighting at once. I ran the wires from the small frunk light towards the front of the car on around the inside of the frunk into the microwave. I then drilled a small hole in the top of the microwave to run the wires to the Tesla letters. This picture was me testing the placement of the red LEDs looking for even light distribution.
IMG_4073-2.JPG
After about 5 different layouts, I found the perfect layout.
FullSizeRender-4.jpg
Here's the final piece.
IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4082-1.JPG